Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,744,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Generally, caramelized means when carbohydrates (especially sugars) are heated and turn brown. The results are delicious.
Burnt is the next step, when the caramelization crosses the line into burning - which is most definitely not delicious.
Taking a food to the point of caramelization - but not beyond - takes attention and some practice.
With smoked meat, there might be some charred endings or burnt crusts, when they turn into charcoal- they taste bitter, and should be removed. Many desirable flavor molecules are also destroyed by the heat of a more intense fire.
That's weird, I love the burnt parts on smoke meat BBQ. For example, the ribs I eat gotta have some charred parts it's almost a guarantee to find burnt area if it's cooked over fire.

For smoked pork belly, I love the glaze that gets charred and taste like sweet glaze and smoke.

Man, if it ain't burnt it ain't BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 03:34 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,249,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's weird, I love the burnt parts on smoke meat BBQ. For example, the ribs I eat gotta have some charred parts it's almost a guarantee to find burnt area if it's cooked over fire.

For smoked pork belly, I love the glaze that gets charred and taste like sweet glaze and smoke.

Man, if it ain't burnt it ain't BBQ.
I'm with you!

Burnt ends are a delicacy and I've seen them showcased in BBQ competitions.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,776,462 times
I'm one of those people who likes everything extra-well-done. I also deliberately set fire to marshmallows because I love the burnt crusty outside with the melty-licious inside.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
i like the seared outside of a steak

as long as the inside is rare/medium rare

Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,242,144 times
I love the roasty-toasty bits, but burnt, no thanks.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:07 PM

50,399 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Charred is kind of a relative term. My answer is I love charred, based upon the char grilled steaks my dad used to make. Charred on the outside, and rare on the inside.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,104,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
... As for toasts, I sort of like very heart breads like rye or wheat burnt on the outside to have that smokey toasted flavor. Same thing brick oven pizzas you can't avoid the bottom being burnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
And that's why I like the brick oven pizzas
And that's why I HATE brick-oven pizzas! There's a restaurant in the town next to me that serves "brick-oven pizza" and I had no idea that that meant that it was COMPLETELY BURNED on the bottom. Horrible. Yuck. I wanted my money back! (I've seen several reviews that say the same thing, so I guess none of us knew what it meant. But does it really HAVE to be burned?? I'm talking black on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Generally, caramelized means when carbohydrates (especially sugars) are heated and turn brown. The results are delicious.
Burnt is the next step, when the caramelization crosses the line into burning - which is most definitely not delicious.
Exactly!!

Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,249,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
And that's why I HATE brick-oven pizzas! There's a restaurant in the town next to me that serves "brick-ov en pizza" and I had no idea that that meant that it was COMPLETELY BURNED on the bottom. Horrible. Yuck. I wanted my money back! (I've seen several reviews that say the same thing, so I guess none of us knew what it meant. But does it really HAVE to be burned?? I'm talking black on the bottom.

Ewwwww, noooooo!!!! It should not be completely black on the bottom. Sounds like they didn't know how to use a brick oven. Pizza in a brick oven cooks crazy fast. It's not like you put it in and walk away for 15 minutes. It needs to be moved around often.

It should have a slight char on the bottom so you get that more "yeasty" flavor from the dough. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it

Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,193 times
YES !

but on the once in a blue moon occasion I have a steak I like it rare ?

I like burnt food and older food . Weird I know .

Old 02-10-2017, 08:32 PM

260 posts, read 473,693 times
I don't like burnt food except for microwave popcorn being just slightly overdone so that some of the pieces are a bit toasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink