Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:29 PM

52 posts, read 67,034 times

Advertisements

What parts of the bible do you recommend reading, and what parts are most used by priests? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 12:39 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I usually recommend first praying for understanding so the holy spirit can reveal the wisdom and life from the words to you. And then I start from the very beginning in Genesis. I recommend the whole book but Proverbs and Psalms are really good chapters to read over if you're just starting out with the Bible.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:44 PM

555 posts, read 456,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESY1999 View Post
What parts of the bible do you recommend reading, and what parts are most used by priests? Thanks
In the Catholic mass on Sunday, there is a reading from the Old Testament, one from the New Testament epistles, and one from the Gospels. Additionally, there is a responsorial psalm after the first reading. For weekday mass, there is no NT epistle reading.

If you went to mass every day over the course of a 3-year cycle, according to one website, you would hear approximately 71% of the NT read aloud.

As for where to begin, I suggest reading Luke followed by Acts. The two books were written by Luke and form a fairly continuous history of the early Church. If you are looking for a shorter presentation of the gospel, try Mark.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
James, it sounds like you have not had much previous experience with the Bible and are coming at this from a Catholic perspective (?). While they generally use the Bible, you may be asking about various masses or liturgies ... or are perhaps thinking about some sermons you have heard (?). You might want to ask your parish priest about this.

The Bible is the standard from which Christian truth and teachings are found. In this respect, all of the Bible is relevant and useful in one's life. But, the Bible is a big book and one is unlikely to read/understand it in a single sitting. For starters, I often recommend that a person start with the Gospel of John. John, (like the books of Matthew, Mark and Luke) provide events and teachings from the life of Jesus Christ. John primarily focuses on the 'deity' (Godhead) of Jesus Christ ... while the other Gospels report the same/similar events from a different perspective.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
What parts of the bible do you recommend reading, and what parts are most used by priests?

I would recommend that you read it with an open mind, for it is written from the perceptions of men.
Furthermore, you may want to consider that Pastors or Priests are merely men, who interpret things
the way they see it, or as it has been taught to them. Once programmed, it's not easy letting go.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:32 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
James, first you need a sort of overview of what the Bible is about and the forms of literature that make it up. It is not a coherent and consistent message from God, but the perceptions about God formed in one ethnic group over the course of a few thousand years, including oral traditions in at least the first book.

Since the Old Testament is primarily background for the message of Christ (I assume you are talking about Christian tradition since you use the term "Bible") I would start with a Gospel, one of the first 4 books of the New Testament. CRCarson's advice on that is good, since Luke wrote for the people who came to faith from other ethnic groups than the original Hebrew or Jewish traditions, and going on through the early history of the church in Acts is a good idea. The other Gospels give different viewpoints on the same story of Luke and the letters talk about specific problems and applications of the lessons taught by Jesus.

Once you have a solid foundation in what the message is, questions that may have come up about the background materiel can be addressed, but the study of the New Testament will take a pretty fair amount of time.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:44 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:
Dear James,
If you want to follow the testimony of Yeshua, you will look for multiple first person accounts to determine any matter. (Mt 18:16 & Dt 19:15) Luke and Acts are supposedly 2nd party accounts, supposedly written by Luke 1:1-3.

As for praying for understanding, you need to review the rules of prayer for understanding, which are that God does not hear the prayers of the unrighteous, and as is shown in Daniel 9:3-21, to be heard one must confess, repent, keep God's Commandments, fast, and pray.

Proverbs 28:9 |
He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

Proverbs 15:29 |
The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.

Daniel 9:3-22 (NASB) So I gave my attention to the Lord God to seek Him by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth and ashes. I prayed to the Lord my God and confessed and said, “Alas, O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments, we have sinned, committed iniquity, acted wickedly and rebelled, even turning aside from Your commandments and ordinances....I have now come forth to give you insight with understanding."

Old 04-20-2014, 03:34 PM

52 posts, read 67,034 times
2ndpillar: What is the testimony of Yeshua? CRCarson: I might take your advise on reading Lukas followed by Acts afterwards. It'll take some time, but I have some time to spend. Thanks

Old 04-20-2014, 03:36 PM

555 posts, read 456,721 times
Quote:
CRCarson: I might take your advise on reading Lukas followed by Acts afterwards. It'll take some time, but I have some time to spend. Thanks

Old 04-20-2014, 03:49 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
1 John 4:8
and then:
1 Corinthians 13

and then after that, whatever else you read in the bible, measure it against those two verses above.
Love is the key to understanding.
GOD
IS
LOVE.

As far as priests, I've no idea.

Peace to ya,
sparrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity