Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:55 AM

761 posts, read 604,207 times

Advertisements

Are they equal or does matcha tea reign in the high energy effect higher than that a cup of green tea?

looking to jump start the engine.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 AM

61,652 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Matcha tea is made of (stone-ground into a fine, bright green powder) whole leaves.
Because the whole leaf powder is ingested, instead of just water infused through the tea leaves, matcha is even higher in some substances than green tea. This includes caffeine and antioxidants. Since matcha is more concentrated in antioxidants, a single cup of matcha may be equivalent to about 3 cups of regular green tea.
One cup of matcha, made from half a teaspoon of powder, generally contains about 35 mg of caffeine. This is slightly more than a cup of regular green tea.
Matcha can have a grassy and bitter taste, and is often served with a sweetener or milk. You can also use it for baking or smoothies.
However, it is not recommended to drink more than 2 cups of matcha per day. It contains extremely large amounts of many plant compounds, and may contain contaminants from the soil or environment.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:18 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Are they equal or does matcha tea reign in the high energy effect higher than that a cup of green tea?

looking to jump start the engine.

Were you watching Marta Bakes last night on PBS? Give it up!

This is a great question as the powder looks so much greener than the tea. She even ground some loose green tea in a mortar and pestle and it looked nothing like macha? Anybody care to elucidate? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Black Tea

Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Matcha is green tea leaves grinded into fine powder like espresso. It is very potent due to the concentration. I drink a lot of espresso but it doesn't have the same power as Matcha.

Matcha gives you energy, coffee doesn't. So understand the major difference between coffee and green tea.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,658 times
I like matcha, but one thing to be aware of is the possibility of ingesting lead. Green tea grown in China tends to pick up lead from the soil. When you steep a tea bag you get some of this lead but not a whole lot. With matcha you ingest the whole leaf and therefore all of the lead.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:19 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,380 times
Unhappy Polyphenols.............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I like matcha, but one thing to be aware of is the possibility of ingesting lead. Green tea grown in China tends to pick up lead from the soil. When you steep a tea bag you get some of this lead but not a whole lot. With matcha you ingest the whole leaf and therefore all of the lead.

Polyphenols are what I am looking for as well as a tastier way to hydrate without sugar or artificial ingredients. Matcha was of interest but lead is a deal breaker. Looked up countries that grow this on Wikipedia and it doesn't look good. The countries are all pacific rim and all presumably have issues. And on the lead and possibly other pollutant issues I would think organic means nothing.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
I have some matcha with almond milk most afternoons, it gives me a mellow boost but not like espresso which supercharges me. The almond milk helps take care of my afternoon munchies so it works for me.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:34 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
I think matcha has the edge over regular green team, but to really put yourself in low-earth orbit my suggestion is Yerba Mate.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM

761 posts, read 604,207 times
Wow, lots of great answers here ... (black tea ??? not germaine).

Coffee doesn't quite give me the boost it used to unless I quit drinking it entirely, suffer for days, then start up again. Yo-yo boost. I was thinking of switching to matcha, but looks like drinking it daily is not wise.

The catechins in matcha are a bonus on top of the fact it will pump up your metabolism maybe encouraging weight loss. Your concerns are now my concerns.

The lead has been purported to be from China's origin. Reading many sites state Japanese matcha is considered safe. I have no way of testing this, however I will say that I would likely not drink so much as to have to worry about lead poisoning any more than occasional fish would give me mercury poisoning. All chemicals are cause for concern and I'm grateful to have common sense, and do a liver flush often.

I would have liked to drink it daily as the better option to coffee.

-->> Does anyone out in California grow it?

I'm glad to know about these things and thank you all for your generous and knowledgeable input.

I didn't see Marta speaking of matcha on TV last night, but it does seem to be at the forefront of
popularity lately, doesn't it? :^D

So, thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.