Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
True that. Octopus tastes similar to squid/calamari, and I've tried both. After all, it's biologically close to squid. Chicken, not so much.
Octopus is something very strange to eat. I was not adverse to trying it and did so in HS but it was like eating a piece of a tire with olive oil and garlic. I tried it occasionally over the next 20 years but the taste was always similar to that teenage experience. Until (you knew it was coming) I went to Lima and tried fresh marinated then grilled Octopus - it was simply delicious and not like anything I had experienced before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 09:55 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Broccoli ,but it must be crunchy.(no soggy stuff)

Blue Crab,I don't pick them but I love cream O crab soup ,crab cakes etc.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:45 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Default Who Else Here Has Tried Fugu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Did not enjoy::

Fugu (blowfish): tried on a business trip in Tokyo (2006?). Did not enjoy it, even though I had consumed 3 beers prior.

I'd be afraid. There's enough poison in one pufferfish to kill three dozen people, and Japanese chefs must be specially trained and licensed before they can serve it to the public.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
That's the smooth puffer. The northern puffer isn't poisonous.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I'd be afraid. There's enough poison in one pufferfish to kill three dozen people, and Japanese chefs must be specially trained and licensed before they can serve it to the public.
Not only that, they are highly regulated and must keep the removed stuff locked up and specifically disposed of. I wondered about this but it makes sense - what better way to off someone than to sneak some of the removed toxin away from a workplace environment (the restaurant) and contaminate your enemy's meal with it elsewhere? Scary.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:04 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
Bamboo shoots in chili oil. I bought them to try out in stir fry and thought they would be a little bland, but they taste good just spooned out of the jar. I use them all the time now.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:47 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
Bleu cheese. I could eat this stuff by the hands full!

On the flip side, I really wanted to like almond milk. I am just not feeling it.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:40 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Octopus is something very strange to eat. I was not adverse to trying it and did so in HS but it was like eating a piece of a tire with olive oil and garlic. I tried it occasionally over the next 20 years but the taste was always similar to that teenage experience. Until (you knew it was coming) I went to Lima and tried fresh marinated then grilled Octopus - it was simply delicious and not like anything I had experienced before.
Same same.

I liked squid because I'd had it a lot more, but in Korea and Japan octopus seemed more common and I grew to love it. I think both require more skill to prepare than one would expect, some fine line between cooked but not rubber. It's best when marinated in something that has unami and spicy flavors.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
Default Pistachios

I used to cringe watching my Dad and Sister eat pistachios....those nasty dyed red things that left stain on their hands... just unappetizing to me. Fast forward to about 10 years ago and I received a Christmas "goodie tower" from a vendor. All kinds of treats and 1 of the boxes was pistachios.... natural not dyed. I thought I'll give them a try and OMG!!!!!!!! love them....they've become a staple in my pantry. how did I not know... guess Dad and Sis didn't want to share!

Old 07-24-2017, 12:20 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Yes, when cooked properly, it is AMAZING. The thing with octopus, it can't be undercooked and it can't be overcooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink