Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:40 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times

Advertisements

Some times the produce can be sketchy at ALDI (definitely the apples)...but then again there are 2 lb bags of carrots for $.99 cents...and they are always fresh enough to justify purchasing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 05:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
With bluefish, it's all a matter of how it was caught. It's a VERY oily fish, and if it's not bled as soon as it's caught (basically, while still alive) it will smell of rotten ***** by the time you're ready to cook it. I agree, the meat packager should have been able to smell it.
Bluefish harvested in the South tend to be very oily; those in the northern waters are less oily and more desirable.

Most if my friends who catch bluefish generally smoke them which eliminated some of the oily flavor.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Most grocery stores try to make food affordable
To everyone particularly the poor they sell on price
What percentage of Whole Foods sales are from poor folks.
Even ones with food stamps????
Very very very little

I have shopped a number of Aldi stores in the wealthier suburbs of Chicagoland. I can tell you that their business is not geared toward the food stamp crowd although they draw their share.

I find that most of their staples are similar to the private label brands at Krogers and the major supermarkets. However, they bring in a lot of European goods at a fraction of the price of many of the larger markets.

There are things that I really like at Aldi. There are a lof of things that I don't buy. If I don't buy a category in a normal supermarket, I am not going to at Aldi.

As for the meat product, while the quality is decent, I would skip it personally. It is all shipped in prepackaged. I don't buy meat there because I can buy at better prices in the locally owned markets. The ONLY exception is that I used to buy their whole Tyson chickens at $0.88/ lb.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:21 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Am I the only one who loves this stuff?

I have a question - maybe it's just me, but - doesn't ground turkey taste/texture much like ground beef?

And I the only one who thinks this?

I tell my father that I eat ground turkey and he thinks "turkey" - yuck. But I try to relay to him that the texture is incredibly similar to ground beef.

Is it just me that thinks ground turkey is similar to ground beef?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink