Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:18 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
First off, start with gorgeous French cheeses -- Le Rustique, Caprice des Dieux, St. Andre -- and baguettes. (Get gluten free crackers for the MIL.)

Next off... is this whole party finger food or a lunch?

Do you want a sophisticated menu (escargots) or a rustic menu (French onion soup) or do you want to be cutesy (French fries!)?

Come back and tell me if it's snacks or a meal. I love this!

And check this out: 50 French Recipes, French Food Recipes | Saveur

PS. They're called macarons (not macaroons).
^^Perfect post!!

RosieSD, I recommend Jacque Pepin's chicken liver paté recipe, if you're new to making it (Google it and it'll pop right up). If you have a blender or food processor it's soooo easy, impressive, delicious, INEXPENSIVE and a perfect make ahead dish. Pair that with your French cheeses (choose one hard, one soft, one semi-soft), along with some berry jam (blackberry or blueberry!) or figs or fig jam, some other cured meats, cornichons (these little pickles scream French and provide some acidity), mustard, and (as you said) grapes. Add your crusty baguette (+ GF crackers), and there you have a perfect "French picnic!"

You could make a big platter of salad Nicoise, with all of the parts prepped in advance, ready to plate and dress. Just leave the boiled eggs large enough for your bride-to-be to avoid them. The salad would balance out the heaviness of the charcuterie and cheese platter. Those two pieces would really be a full, balanced lunch, as well as gorgeous display pieces, and very French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
See, I knew there is such a thing as French lasagna!

French Lasagna Recipe - Relish

Can be modified, skip the eggs..fr. nutmeg a must.
Not you will make it since you'd like more finger food...but here it is.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Is buckwheat gluten free? I didn't realize that!
Yep. Doesn't make logical sense, right? LOL

Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
- I know that you said no to cutesy, but everyone loves French fries. If you do them thick-cut, fried in duck fat... pile them onto a big platter with little serving cups of MAYO for dipping. So yummy!
Call them "pommes frites" and everyone will be impressed.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Call them "pommes frites" and everyone will be impressed.
Oui, oui.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:53 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
One of the coolest ideas I've seen is a mashed potato bar with various toppings and portions eaten in goblets of some kind. That idea could be taken in lots of different directions. Entrée, salad, dessert... the goblets seem like a good portion control trick.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:40 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Right away I thought of petit choux for an appetizer. They are so special and a good finger food.

You can fill them with cream cheese and smoked salmon or any number of cold meat salads or veggie fillings. And there are recipes for gluten free ones but I'd sure give this a trial run before I tried to serve it to anyone on my first try.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
First off, start with gorgeous French cheeses -- Le Rustique, Caprice des Dieux, St. Andre -- and baguettes. (Get gluten free crackers for the MIL.)

Next off... is this whole party finger food or a lunch?

Do you want a sophisticated menu (escargots) or a rustic menu (French onion soup) or do you want to be cutesy (French fries!)?

Come back and tell me if it's snacks or a meal. I love this!

And check this out: 50 French Recipes, French Food Recipes | Saveur

PS. They're called macarons (not macaroons).
great post!! great ideas

I think id try to hire dawn

great link!

Old 03-14-2017, 01:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
great post!! great ideas

I think id try to hire dawn

great link!
No, no... I *eat* it, I don't *make* it.
I can "make" a cheese plate, though.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:10 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Is there room in the budget for bouillabaisse? You can do everything except add the seafood the day before, and either skip the toasts or substitute a couple of the gluten-free crackers you spoke of upthread.

Bouillabaisse Recipe - Ethan Stowell | Food & Wine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink