Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:23 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

There are few things better in the food world than good crusty bread and a big smear of cultured butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 03:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Interesting! Hadn't heard of it before but looking at some recipes it seems like something that would be tasty. Sounds like it might have a bit of a tang - no? Do you recall the name of the vendor? I might dig around and see if they have a booth in a market closer to me. I wish our FM had a cheese and dairy vendor. We do have a booth that does goat cheese but that happens to be a cheese I don't care for at all.
Mine came from here: achadinha

I went to a different farmer's market, and I hadn't noticed this vendor at my usual markets but I have been doing specific runs lately. Looks like they are all over many of the Bay Area markets.

I think I'll look out at the specialty grocery store - they must also have some too!

There was a smidge of a tang - but not as much as was expecting. But lots of flavor...and not "goaty" even though it was a blend of goat and cows milk.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:35 PM

711 posts, read 688,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Mine came from here: achadinha

I went to a different farmer's market, and I hadn't noticed this vendor at my usual markets but I have been doing specific runs lately. Looks like they are all over many of the Bay Area markets.

I think I'll look out at the specialty grocery store - they must also have some too!

There was a smidge of a tang - but not as much as was expecting. But lots of flavor...and not "goaty" even though it was a blend of goat and cows milk.
Heh...who knew! Those are the goat cheese people that are at my regular farmers market. I'll have to stop there next time and see if they have the butter. I've never really looked that closely at their offerings because they sort of market themselves as goat products. The tang sounds interesting. Goat cheese to me isn't really tangy - it's just a flavor I can't quite like.

It was interesting to see too that someone mentioned Cultured Butter from Trader Joes. I think I want to check that one out as well.

Thanks much for the info jade!

Old 04-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Heh...who knew! Those are the goat cheese people that are at my regular farmers market. I'll have to stop there next time and see if they have the butter. I've never really looked that closely at their offerings because they sort of market themselves as goat products. The tang sounds interesting. Goat cheese to me isn't really tangy - it's just a flavor I can't quite like.

It was interesting to see too that someone mentioned Cultured Butter from Trader Joes. I think I want to check that one out as well.

I tried another brand too! I forgot what it was, and used it in my eggs it was yummy in the way the scrambled eggs with butter are yummy, but it didn't feel standout.

I don't always cook with butter but I have been on a toast kick lately, so butter usage goes up.

I default to Kerrygold if I am at a mainstream store. And something organic and grass-fed at a specialty store. But I think now, I'll just have to keep eating more bread and toast.

I did see a recipe for "sweet potato toast." One of those paleo hacks that seems a little weird to me. But sweet potato cinnamon "toast" is probably amazing! Or a "toasted" sweet potato with butter. So I think I'll try that next. Sweet potatoes have a longer shelf life than bread.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Their parmesan-like cheese was super yummy! They did a lot of goat and milk blends! Definitely stop and try the non-goat options! And they gave butter samples.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:44 PM

711 posts, read 688,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I tried another brand too! I forgot what it was, and used it in my eggs it was yummy in the way the scrambled eggs with butter are yummy, but it didn't feel standout.

I don't always cook with butter but I have been on a toast kick lately, so butter usage goes up.

I default to Kerrygold if I am at a mainstream store. And something organic and grass-fed at a specialty store. But I think now, I'll just have to keep eating more bread and toast.

I did see a recipe for "sweet potato toast." One of those paleo hacks that seems a little weird to me. But sweet potato cinnamon "toast" is probably amazing! Or a "toasted" sweet potato with butter. So I think I'll try that next. Sweet potatoes have a longer shelf life than bread.
Yeah, Kerrygold is my default as well.

The toast thing is dangerous ground for me. I can eat one or two potato chips or a couple of fries...but toast made with really good bread and a sweet creamy butter will leave me eating it one slice after the next. The word enough leaves my vocabulary. I do like butter in scrambled eggs too.

I've seen mention of the sweet potato toast thing but never looked in to how it was done. My evil side thinks about making a sweet potato butter kinda like TJs Pumpkin Butter or Fig Butter.

I'm imagining cultured butter to taste almost a little like cream cheese. I don't eat a lot of butter...but when I do, I want it to be a good one!

Old 04-05-2017, 11:50 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Kerrygold, finlandia or even US-made Plugra.
Much more taste and less water in it.

I can't abide the usual hotel bar or land o lakes. I don't know how they even get bought. Then again, people go to dunkin donuts and buy their "coffee" so...

Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Margarine? Yuck! You use the worst ingredients, and then complain about the food.
I have made cookies with butter and the same cookies with margarine, and the tasters really had no distinct preference. That said, I will make pralines and my own recipe of butter cookies, with only butter, and most pound cakes as well. But margarine is perfectly acceptable in baking and cooking, in my family and amongst those I work with.

My sister can't abide butter. She has to ask if the restaurant has margarine before she will order a baked potato. I used to be the same way many many years ago - butter tasted absolutely gross to me. But I've learned to like it. Personally, in cooking and on warm bread, I really have no preference. Both are delicious to me.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have made cookies with butter and the same cookies with margarine, and the tasters really had no distinct preference. That said, I will make pralines and my own recipe of butter cookies, with only butter, and most pound cakes as well. But margarine is perfectly acceptable in baking and cooking, in my family and amongst those I work with.

My sister can't abide butter. She has to ask if the restaurant has margarine before she will order a baked potato. I used to be the same way many many years ago - butter tasted absolutely gross to me. But I've learned to like it. Personally, in cooking and on warm bread, I really have no preference. Both are delicious to me.
we use to have those tubs of shed spread - growing up...
haven't had it for years...but funny how we smothered most things with it even popcorn

Old 04-05-2017, 05:52 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we use to have those tubs of shed spread - growing up...
haven't had it for years...but funny how we smothered most things with it even popcorn
We never used Shed spread, always Parkay. Now, and for many years, I use Brummel & Brown, for things like toast. I keep Parkay or Blue Bonnet sticks in the fridge too, as well as butter, for baking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink