Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:20 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

You can kiss Hershey's high calorie counts goodbye.

The chocolate company announced Friday that by 2022, half of its individually wrapped standard- and king-size sweets will be 200 calories or fewer. To lower that count, Hershey's will reformulate treats, introduce new ones and adjust the sizes of certain products.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...unt/100756624/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,844 times
Sounds like a clever ploy to increase profits.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Candy is made of sugar, so the only way to reduce calories is to make the size smaller.

Clever, I guess, if you can make the public believe you reduced the size out of concern for their health.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
"...Hershey's will reformulate treats..."

Now, why should I have to suffer some "reformulated treat" just because some people don't have the will power to eat a reasonable amount?

Old 04-27-2017, 11:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
How about Hershey put more real cocoa into their chocolates than sugar and milk. A Hershey's bar contains very little cocoa these days. It should be called a Chocolate flavored candy bar. A $1 Chocolate bar at IKEA has more cocoa than a $1.75 Hershey's.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:24 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I think this is just a cover for the company to increase its profit margins, using the "we care for you" as the reason when everyone notices the products do not taste the same and taste even worse, and/or comes in smaller sizes for the same prices, or the price per ounce increases.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
You can kiss Hershey's high calorie counts goodbye.

The chocolate company announced Friday that by 2022, half of its individually wrapped standard- and king-size sweets will be 200 calories or fewer. To lower that count, Hershey's will reformulate treats, introduce new ones and adjust the sizes of certain products.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...unt/100756624/
Actually, your own description - that Hershey will only reduce calories in half their products - notes that this isn't true. If you want the original product, you'll still be easily able to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Hershey's is a business. What don't they do to increase profits? That's how businesses work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
"...Hershey's will reformulate treats..."

Now, why should I have to suffer some "reformulated treat" just because some people don't have the will power to eat a reasonable amount?
Is there some reason you won't be able to purchase the unchanged products - which will still be sold? Or did you just not bother to even read the second sentence of the original post?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:37 PM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
WHY CAN'T THEY LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE??

Maybe if they just used basic ingredients like high end companies do

(NOT frankenchocolate made in a chemical factory)

they wouldn't have to re-invent themselves.

Basic goodness ~ even YOU can do this! (under a minute)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfcB-VArm-s

Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Actually, your own description - that Hershey will only reduce calories in half their products - notes that this isn't true. If you want the original product, you'll still be easily able to find it.

Hershey's is a business. What don't they do to increase profits? That's how businesses work.

Is there some reason you won't be able to purchase the unchanged products - which will still be sold? Or did you just not bother to even read the second sentence of the original post?
They ruined it years ago. The Hershey Bar of my youth no longer exists.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:52 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
My first thought when seeing the article

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How about Hershey put more real cocoa into their chocolates than sugar and milk. A Hershey's bar contains very little cocoa these days. It should be called a Chocolate flavored candy bar. A $1 Chocolate bar at IKEA has more cocoa than a $1.75 Hershey's.
The more expensive brands of chocolate bars have higher quality ingredients and more cooca

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
WHY CAN'T THEY LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE??

Maybe if they just used basic ingredients like high end companies do

(NOT frankenchocolate made in a chemical factory)

they wouldn't have to re-invent themselves.

Basic goodness ~ even YOU can do this! (under a minute)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfcB-VArm-s
I agree, My mom had bought me a snickers Easter egg. It tasted nothing like how a candy should taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They ruined it years ago. The Hershey Bar of my youth no longer exists.
Does the hershey bar taste differently from many years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink