Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just read an article in our local paper this morning about how many chain restaurants are seeing a decrease in business. Some are thinking of selling out. Many were mentioned but the ones I remember were: Rudy Tues. Olive Garden and Applebees. Have you noticed less business at your favorite chain eatery and do you still patronize the large chains, or are you more inclined to try smaller, independent places? We have found ourselves, though we eat our rarely more inclined to eat at independent restaurant or ones that locally have a few stores, but are not large chains.
I think this is dependent on the area. Around my area, very few eat at home. The restaurants all have long waits, including week nights. Texas Roadhouse is a 2 hour wait time most days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 01:12 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Can anyone argue with how good Chick-Fil-A is?
I ate there once in 1999. The chicken sandwich was remarkably bland. I never went back.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:22 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
One of my favorite Cuban places here in South Florida is a home grown chain, Havana 1957. Also, Pollo Tropicale, another local chain, only sells free range, organic chicken that is amazing.

Some chains like Outback Steakhouse have gone noticeably downhill in the last ten years or so and some fantastic chains like Steak & Ale have disappeared completely.

When corporate restaurants start squeezing for profits because they are publicly held is when they go down quickly and patrons stop eating there.

I have not eaten at Olive Garden in years but enjoy Ruby Tuesdays salad bar every once in a while.

Many times I will go for a chain over an independent because I know chains have minimum standards they are held to that some independents are not. While they all are inspected by the health department, sometimes chains are held to much higher standards by corporate.

It's really six of one, half dozen of another.
I'm in Rocket City, AL (Huntsville - we built the Saturn V Rocket that took us to the moon!) - and our TGIFridays just closed... no clue as to why... but the one on University just closed.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:27 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
I can see burger king, long john silver, jack in the box, krispy kreme (if there are any left), and eventually popeyes going out of business, these places have very unhealthy high sodium meals, and people are getting wise ,finally.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I think this is dependent on the area. Around my area, very few eat at home. The restaurants all have long waits, including week nights. Texas Roadhouse is a 2 hour wait time most days.
of course this somewhat true, but I am basing my posts on the article in the paper and watching restaurants all over close down. Yes, we too have long lines at some restaurants while others are slower than in years past. The article is talking nationwide.

TUMF; yes. it seems many TGI's have closed with is too bad, they are one of the few chain restaurants I used to enjoy. Oh well!!!

Kapikap: the amount of sodium good or bad and yes, it isn't a good thing to have too much, probably has little to do with chains closing. It is up to us, as adults to decide how we handle sodium but I doubt people will stop going to a restaurant for that reason alone.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:08 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Chains around my neck of the woods have huge followings. There is usually a wait at most, such as Chili's, Applebee's, Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Golden Coral. This is even in the off season..
Forget about trying to get in to Longhorn on a weekend without a mostly hour wait.. New to our area is Cody's Roadhouse which despite it being just OK in the food and service department, they have great specials and kids eat free 2 night a week so it's pretty much always busy also.. I personally wont go there again after 3 bad experiences and over an hour food wait times..

Places around here I do wonder about how they stay afloat are Denny's, IHOP and our local Chipotle.
Burger King seems to do a very brisk lunch business and not much of a dinner or late night.
Macdonald's is always cranking as well as the local Taco bell's..

Around here I don't see these chains going anywhere soon..

We also have a few real gems in local family owned diner type places, most close after lunch or very early..
These are the places I prefer to eat a few are like the Diner-Drive in's and Dive type...

Old 05-22-2017, 03:17 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I don't frequent chain restaurants, and there may be two or three near where I live, so doesn't matter to me.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:25 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
We rarely eat out, but if its birthday or some celebration, I prefer a local Mom & Pop type of place anyhow. the food has always been good. It would be sad to see too many chains go under, they employ a lot of people.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:

I have no problem with the quality of Chick-fil-a. But I do have a problem with the value proposition. For what they charge for a sandwich, a side and a drink, I can go to a half dozen local chicken places (as well as El Pollo Loco) and get a quarter chicken, two sides, tortilla and beverage that is more filling and more nutritious.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course this somewhat true, but I am basing my posts on the article in the paper and watching restaurants all over close down. Yes, we too have long lines at some restaurants while others are slower than in years past. The article is talking nationwide.

TUMF; yes. it seems many TGI's have closed with is too bad, they are one of the few chain restaurants I used to enjoy. Oh well!!!

Ruby Tuesday's will close in the next couple of years.

TGI Fridays used to be one of the great national chains. They USED to have servers who would wear a uniform that they have decorated themselves, a creative menu with well prepared food and they were packed. Nowadays, the menu is boring, the food is poorly executed and the service is miserable. I saw quite a few of them close in the Midwest.

Personally, I wonder how many of the chains (and independents will survive the increases in the minimum wage and medical benefits in the coming years. Also, they have to compete with some great prepared food options at large supermarket chains (Kroger's, Hy-Vee, Wegman's etc.)

Last week, I stopped by the local Kroger's affiliate and purchased a 2 piece roast chicken dinner with a side of brussels sprouts and a side of roasted squash and a Hawaiian roll for $4.75. It sure beat the Chick-fil-a sandwich , fries and a drink that my wife originally asked for.

Or I can get a 6 oz roast beef and cheese on a pretzel roll at the local Winco Food's store or $2.49 is I want the same on a croissant roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink