Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:57 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times

Advertisements

shortening is a mixture of fat and water, so can make baked goods soggy.
butter, lard, and coconut oil are all pure fat. Yum! Unfortunately, they're all high in cholesterol, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:16 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Chicken fried in lard is absolutely excellent. Way better than vegetable oil or coconut oil.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Many poor kids took lard sandwiches to school for lunch in the early 1900's.

I can't imagine eating a lard sandwich.
Basically like eating a butter sandwich, I'd imagine.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Butter has a flavor to it. Lard doesn't, unless it's starting to get old.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:39 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I would have to disagree on this one. If anything, lard (pork fat) has a great taste. This is the reason fattier cuts of meat are tastier and why baking or cooking with lard makes everything taste better. Oh yeah, have you ever tried refried beans with lard? they are the best. That's not to say that I would eat pure lard.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:38 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
I once worked for a food processing place that made " artificial lard"

It had not been done using corn starch and the goal was to find a way to utilize corn starch as it was the cheapest starch to use.

It involved a detailed process of heating the starch to high temps, lowering temp for a set period, and then pumping it thru 2 filters ( one being charcoal )

If you put the hot filtered clear liquid in a 5 gallon pail, it would turn into a solid resembling a 5 gallon pail of lard.

However, the liquid was then pumped to a dryer and the dried lard came out in white powdery flakes and bagged in 50 lb bags for shipment to bakeries etc.

No Fat artificial lard !

Old 06-30-2017, 05:13 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Reading this and thinking back decades, my mom would give us bread and butter slices. I was born after depression and butter was a delicacy. Today when I have butter in the house it's unsalted
Product Information | Plugra

No lard and bread. My mom and everyone back then used crisco, wesson and mazola oils.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I can't speak from direct experience, but as I understand it, leaf lard, that which comes from around the kidneys and sides of the abdominal cavity is flavorless and preferred for things like pastries and anything where you don't want to impart flavor, but the lard from the bottom of the abdomen, has more flavor; meaty and pork-like, I'd assume.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
I can't speak from direct experience, but as I understand it, leaf lard, that which comes from around the kidneys and sides of the abdominal cavity is flavorless and preferred for things like pastries and anything where you don't want to impart flavor, but the lard from the bottom of the abdomen, has more flavor; meaty and pork-like, I'd assume.
I taste everything before I cook with it, so I have tasted plain lard. The regular lard you can get in the grocery store doesn't taste like anything and has almost no odor. As it gets closer to it's expiration date, it starts to have a smell and a distinct flavor.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Lard is orders of magnitude better, and tastier, to use when making pie crusts.
Suet is better but almost impossible to find unless you know a very good butcher.
Suet is the driest fat known. (its the fat that encases kidney).

I like crisco for pie crust, very tender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink