Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't use any of it.

If I'm going to sweeten anything, I'll use unprocessed sugar.

It's still horrible for you but you aren't eating chemicals.

https://www.floridacrystals.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
(2R,3R,4S,5S,6R)-2-[(2S,3S,4S,5R)-3,4-dihydroxy-2,5-bis(hydroxymethyl)oxolan-2-yl]oxy-6-(hydroxymethyl)oxane-3,4,5-triol

That's table sugar. OF COURSE you are eating "chemicals". EVERYTHING is made up of "chemicals".

Uh-huh!
Read the website, I've also toured the factory and farms.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
[quote=hrsource;49221634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Top 5 Reasons Never To Use Splenda | GreenMedInfo | Blog Entry

I've NEVER used those chemical laden sweetners, for me if needed, it's the real thing, stevia or honey or agave.

Encyclopedia of American Loons: #1793: Sayer Ji

Be careful what you read and believe as truth . . . question and do you're own research.
Even Stevia is chemicals in the form you get. It starts as a leaf, and then is completely changed into another form which is a changing the chemical composition.

The medical experts say the following are safe and healthy to use.

Stevia, NutraSweet, Splenda, Saccharin, and Other Sugar Substitutes

A few years ago, a big study in France showed that Splenda was dangerous and gave every rat they injected Splenda solution, gave the rats cancer so it was dangerous to lose.

The federal government investigated and found they had used a special lab rate, that they test for cures for cancer. Even an injection of minute amount of distilled water gives them cancer. They are intentionally injected with distilled water, and 100% of the time turns into cancer in the rats body, so they can seek a cure. This was such a faulty and false test, that those scientists went to prison for a fake study, done on behalf of the sugar industry for a big price. It fell under Fraud laws. Splenda is the most studied item all over the world, and has always been found it is safe for human consumption.

If you have a medical condition you cannot use sugar, then honey is even worse for you, as it is pure sugar in a concentrated form.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:33 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I use the pink stuff-sweet and low. Just for my coffee that's all. Yes I know it's bad and I tried quitting the stuff but I don't like sugar in my coffee, tried it with just milk Bleh!!! Tired the other sweeteners and don't care for that either. I'll stick with my pink packets even if it's bad. Other than that I don't eat anything with artificial sweeteners.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
I got a recipe for energy cookies and it MANDATED Splenda. Bad idea. We then made a second batch with no sugar at all of any kind. Turned out great. (17 day UIrvine Dr. diet book; stolen by you-know-who as the "20 day" diet.

The "need" to add sugar or a substitute to every recipe is a cultural very much American thang. The rest of the world learned long ago to drop it, IF they ever started in the first place.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
I use pure Stevia. I am a type 2 diabetic and it is the only sweetener I like that does not raise my blood sugar. It is highly concentrated and a little goes a long way. 1 teaspoon of pure stevia roughly equals 1 cup of sugar. It comes from a plant so the source if natural but it is still processed. There is a debate going as to whether it can be called "natural"

How ‘Natural’ Is Stevia, Anyway?

As far as the taste that is subjective. Some like it some don't but you have to try the pure stuff before you can judge. Most of the stuff sold in supermarkets uses fillers such as maltodextrin and dextrose all of which are more harmful than sugar itself. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

As far as artificial sweeteners causing cancer, I have never been worried about it and it's nothing new. I do remember back in the 70's, tests were done on mice using saccharin. That theory has been debunked. Does anybody remember 'Tab', the diet soda from coca cola that predates diet coke?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin

Saccharin (sweet and low) is safe for diabetics and if I don't have Stevia on hand, I will use that for my coffee. Sucralose is also safe.

I do not like Aspartame at all and in fact it gives me an "unpleasant" feeling that is hard to describe.

As for Sucralose (Splenda), I think it's OK but that too is "cut" with fillers. It is totally artificial.

I did look it up and it turns out there are MANY sweeteners available but all of them are processed in some form or fashion. It turns out that there are many that are safe for diabetics.
Glycemic Index for Sweeteners

Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Does anybody remember 'Tab', the diet soda from coca cola that predates diet coke?
It's still available.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:01 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's still available.
Thanks for the info. That is news to me. I could not imagine why, the taste was terrible.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:35 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I use the pink stuff-sweet and low. Just for my coffee that's all. Yes I know it's bad and I tried quitting the stuff but I don't like sugar in my coffee, tried it with just milk Bleh!!! Tired the other sweeteners and don't care for that either. I'll stick with my pink packets even if it's bad. Other than that I don't eat anything with artificial sweeteners.
im with you lubby..
i use them everyday sweetnlow..

Old 08-19-2017, 06:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I use pure Stevia. I am a type 2 diabetic and it is the only sweetener I like that does not raise my blood sugar. It is highly concentrated and a little goes a long way. 1 teaspoon of pure stevia roughly equals 1 cup of sugar. It comes from a plant so the source if natural but it is still processed. There is a debate going as to whether it can be called "natural"

How ‘Natural’ Is Stevia, Anyway?

As far as the taste that is subjective. Some like it some don't but you have to try the pure stuff before you can judge. Most of the stuff sold in supermarkets uses fillers such as maltodextrin and dextrose all of which are more harmful than sugar itself. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

As far as artificial sweeteners causing cancer, I have never been worried about it and it's nothing new. I do remember back in the 70's, tests were done on mice using saccharin. That theory has been debunked. Does anybody remember 'Tab', the diet soda from coca cola that predates diet coke?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin

Saccharin (sweet and low) is safe for diabetics and if I don't have Stevia on hand, I will use that for my coffee. Sucralose is also safe.

I do not like Aspartame at all and in fact it gives me an "unpleasant" feeling that is hard to describe.

As for Sucralose (Splenda), I think it's OK but that too is "cut" with fillers. It is totally artificial.

I did look it up and it turns out there are MANY sweeteners available but all of them are processed in some form or fashion. It turns out that there are many that are safe for diabetics.
Glycemic Index for Sweeteners

tab ...... had the best commercials
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink