Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

I love chiles in adobo sauce. I love putting bits of the sauce in chilli and stews.

My latest discovery is green tomatoes! We are growing tomatoes, and I've gotten a bunch of green tomatoes, which I've discovered work great in chilli or beans or stews. The flavors blend in nicely. This is new to me.

Other discoveries are Stash's Peppermint tea and Choice brand Russian Caravan tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 05:29 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I love chiles in adobo sauce. I love putting bits of the sauce in chilli and stews.

My latest discovery is green tomatoes! We are growing tomatoes, and I've gotten a bunch of green tomatoes, which I've discovered work great in chilli or beans or stews. The flavors blend in nicely. This is new to me.

Other discoveries are Stash's Peppermint tea and Choice brand Russian Caravan tea.
Do you find much difference between green tomatoes and tomatillos? I think you can sub one for the other in a pinch.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I've recently discovered several flavors that I've been using a lot more of.

Ras El Hanout:
Inside the Spice Cabinet: Ras el Hanout | Kitchn

I've found that this is a great addition to meat dishes. Oddly, it's also a great garnish for mango smoothies!

I've also sort of gone on a curry kick since we've had several restaurants open up locally serving various curries. I discovered Vindaloo curry, which is supposedly the spiciest of curries - but I live in Texas and we like things spicy around here, so it's great! I also use it in smoothies, and it's good on cottage cheese too. Of course, it's also good in various stews and that sort of thing but my husband lived in Scotland for several years and got totally burned out on anything and everything curry so I don't cook with it when he's home. And I don't cook when he's not home! LOL
https://www.spicesinc.com/p-2540-vindaloo-curry.aspx

This year the basil went absolutely crazy in my garden, so I've been making pesto from scratch. But I have also discovered that you can make a delicious hot tea with basil leaves. And you can also add it to iced tea (I prefer it diluted with the regular black tea I make iced tea from) for a little interesting twist.

Basil has some really good health benefits too, and it's super easy to grow inside or outside:
What is Basil Good For? - Mercola.com

Old 09-21-2017, 07:11 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Saved the website....want to try that spice
I love curry...and basil...

QUOTE=KathrynAragon;49584599]I've recently discovered several flavors that I've been using a lot more of.

Ras El Hanout:
Inside the Spice Cabinet: Ras el Hanout | Kitchn

I've found that this is a great addition to meat dishes. Oddly, it's also a great garnish for mango smoothies!

I've also sort of gone on a curry kick since we've had several restaurants open up locally serving various curries. I discovered Vindaloo curry, which is supposedly the spiciest of curries - but I live in Texas and we like things spicy around here, so it's great! I also use it in smoothies, and it's good on cottage cheese too. Of course, it's also good in various stews and that sort of thing but my husband lived in Scotland for several years and got totally burned out on anything and everything curry so I don't cook with it when he's home. And I don't cook when he's not home! LOL
https://www.spicesinc.com/p-2540-vindaloo-curry.aspx

This year the basil went absolutely crazy in my garden, so I've been making pesto from scratch. But I have also discovered that you can make a delicious hot tea with basil leaves. And you can also add it to iced tea (I prefer it diluted with the regular black tea I make iced tea from) for a little interesting twist.

Basil has some really good health benefits too, and it's super easy to grow inside or outside:
What is Basil Good For? - Mercola.com[/quote]

Old 09-21-2017, 07:13 AM

Russian Caravan Tea sounds interesting...

Do the hard green tomatoes soften easily when using them in cooking?? I usually just make oven fried green tomatoes...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Penzeys English Prime Rib Rub used to season pot roast. The blend includes arrowroot, which thickens the juices while cooking. Basically ensuring a totally effort-free gravy.

I don't think it's a new blend...just new to me.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:18 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I just discovered a local source for Golden Mountain Sauce, does a happy dance!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I discovered this secret ingredient for my dry rubs and street taco meats...

It makes a difference

Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the webpage....limeade sounds good.

A true citrus fan here.

I even have lemon hand cream...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I discovered this secret ingredient for my dry rubs and street taco meats...

It makes a difference

Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Do you find much difference between green tomatoes and tomatillos? I think you can sub one for the other in a pinch.
I have no familiarity with tomatillos. But it seems like I have read this somewhere. If you try it, let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink