Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:20 PM

23,519 posts, read 24,000,129 times

Advertisements

I enjoy low sodium black beans from a can and also low sodium refried beans, from a can for my Mexican dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 12:26 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,693 times
All these years, I have used dried beans until about last year when I decided to try canned (they were marked down so I figured what the heck plus I have always used the canned refried beans). Now, I use them pretty regularly as long as I can get a good deal on them. But the dried beans are still in the cupboard.

I find that there is a textual difference in the canned versus dried. Canned beans seem to hold their firmness much more than dried beans.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've never had beans that were *not* canned. I know that there are other (better?) beans but, truthfully, it never even occurred to me to buy not-canned beans and *do whatever you have to do to them after that.*
I like the texture better, but use canned beans when in a hurry.

The InstaPot is great for cooking them quickly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,693 times
I just made a batch of chili that was delicious!

I thought that I had canned pintos but low and behold all that was in the cupboard were kidney and black beans. Much too late to start a batch of dried pintos from scratch. So, I ended up using the black and kidney beans for the chili. A nice combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We use them for this, and it's very good! We use several varieties of beans though, and sometimes use ground turkey.

Simple, Perfect Chili Recipe | Ree Drummond | Food Network

Old 09-20-2017, 12:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I grabbed a case of kidney beans on accident (thought they were black beans) so used them as refried beans, not horrible. Man and kidlet liked it better than I did.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-20-2017, 12:41 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
OP: Beans have been canned since before you were born.
Your concern would be valid if you were eating canned beans that came off the prairie during a cattle drive.
Canned anything is fine if you heat the product properly and do not boil it into mush.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
I wouldn't open a can, dig in with a fork, and go "nom, nom," but if I rinse canned beans off and put them in chili, they're wonderful...perfect...just the thing.

However, I prefer to soak and cook white beans when they are the main focus of a dish, such as Marcella Hazan's White Bean Soup. BTW, if anyone tries to make this, it's even better with some fresh spinach added at the end, and Parmigiano-Reggiano and a little EVOO as garnishes. I also add to the soup as it cooks any Parmigiano-Reggiano rinds I have in the fridge.

https://food52.com/recipes/51809-mar...ic-and-parsley

Old 09-20-2017, 01:06 PM

24,496 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
there is a recipe that I am interested in that calls for 3 cans of beans. I don't know if thats a good thing to eat that much of anything out of the can. What do you think?
Will you be eating three cans in one setting?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:14 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
i love canned bean, especally pork and beans, I will eat three four cans a week.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:18 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I've been using beans a lot lately, all canned. I used to cook my own, but why bother? Canned texture really is better for many things.

I've been making mixed-bean chili; cannelini, red kidneys, and black beans.
and bean salads, using the same beans, plus corn, beets, and canned green beans (only time I'd use canned green beans). Can't find wax beans around here, or I'd add them, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink