Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:02 PM

34,258 posts, read 18,631,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Yep, blame the poor people. Everybody is doing it.
No, blame the economic stupidity of Liberal/Progressive run government which drives up the costs of doing business so they have to charge more, or LEAVE. Who suffers in the end? Those that can afford it the least.

I find the deli meats, and cheeses to be 30% - 50% less expensive at Wal Mart than at my local (non boutique) Supermarket chains. That is where I buy mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,066,529 times
Just recently my favorite beef bologna went up to $6 per pound. A buck a pound increase. I live in Las Vegas, a low COL place. I have been debating buying a slicer so I can do my own. Bosch makes one that looks pretty good or maybe a used one from a restaurant supply.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:20 PM

30,681 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Where do you shop? I live in Pittsburgh and the Giant Eagle has different cold cuts on sale every week. In this week's ad, I see two kinds of deli-sliced turkey for $4.99/lb., Smithfield Lean Generation Ham for $5.99/lb., Giant Eagle Premium Cooked Ham for $2.99/lb., and Dietz & Watson Premium Turkey for $8.99/lb.

https://curbsideexpress.gianteagle.c...ly%20Ad&page=1

And now I must go shopping for cold cuts. It's the only thing that will do. Plus bread and mustard.
I live in Honolulu now and so go to the local delis out here, but even when I lived in NYC (granted, not exactly a "cheaper" alternative based on cost of living) it had been a while since I'd seen non-sale prices for $4.99-$8.99 a pound at the deli counter.

Sry, I realize that your reply to me was based, in part, on my status/location reading "Pittsburgh, not Paris." Pittsburgh is definitely not my location, though!

Old 09-23-2017, 01:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
But for 1 single person 4 lbs or so of bulk turkey is alittle too much.
I'm single. I have a deep freezer and I buy 20-80 lbs of beef/poultry/pork at a time. I prep it, cook what I can, and freeze. I save money and always have a homemade dinner on hand.

Your complaint about 4 lbs...ha ha. Why not freeze it? A regular refrigerator freezer can hold 4 lbs of deli meat.

I just can't see why people don't look beyond their next meal when purchasing food.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:27 PM

61,905 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Where do you shop? I live in Pittsburgh and the Giant Eagle has different cold cuts on sale every week. In this week's ad, I see two kinds of deli-sliced turkey for $4.99/lb., Smithfield Lean Generation Ham for $5.99/lb., Giant Eagle Premium Cooked Ham for $2.99/lb., and Dietz & Watson Premium Turkey for $8.99/lb.

https://curbsideexpress.gianteagle.c...ly%20Ad&page=1

And now I must go shopping for cold cuts. It's the only thing that will do. Plus bread and mustard.
Your $2.99/lb Premium Cooked Ham is most likely formed or reformed ham. Formed ham is muscle meat from the leg bones. It is chopped and passed under needles which inject it with a solution of water, sugars, preservatives, flavorings and other additives, or put into a giant machine resembling a cement mixer and mixed with a similar solution. The process dissolves an amino acid called myosin so the meat becomes sticky and, when put into moulds, comes out looking like a whole piece of meat.
If the ham is to be presented as a traditional cut, a layer of fat is stuck round the edge of the mould to make it look as though it has been cut off a whole leg.
Reformed ham is made from chopped or emulsified meat which is not necessarily all muscle meat. Scraps left over from making formed ham may be used in reformed ham. There is no way to get anything premium for that price...

Old 09-23-2017, 01:36 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,628,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The price of all food has gone up.

But that roast beef, raw, is about $6 a pound and loses about 30% of the weight when cooked. It's been handled, trimmed, brined, roasted, packaged by workers earning $15 an hour. Then it is shipped with a driver who gets $25 an hour and the government law says he must park his rig and take a 30 minute break every 4 hours, which he is still being paid for.

At the market, workers paid $15 an hour move the roast into the deli case and then slice weigh and package it for you. The market is paying for the electricity to keep the meat cold and for the lights so you can see it. They are also paying SS taxes, disability insurance, and health insurance for that $15 an hour employee.

I suspect you are buying it for very near cost.

In Seattle, you could try the deli counter at Winco. They might be cheaper and they sell good products. Costco sells good deli meats, but you have to buy a 2 pound package.

( I am sympathetic. Gritting my teeth to be paying almost $5 for a loaf of my favorite Seattle sour dough bread)
I agree with you 100%

But there are seemingly endless posts elsewhere on C-D where the opinion that food prices have dropped dramatically in the last few years are rampant and for the most part unchallenged. I just can't fathom where those people shop.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:44 PM

61,905 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I agree with you 100%

But there are seemingly endless posts elsewhere on C-D where the opinion that food prices have dropped dramatically in the last few years are rampant and for the most part unchallenged. I just can't fathom where those people shop.
The lower price they pay might affect the quality. There is no other way around.
Lower quality, highly processed meat, chopped pieces, water solution, lots of salt, fillers and other crap. It's just made to look nice. Gased if needed to add pretty color...
See my post above.

Last edited by elnina; 09-23-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 PM

983 posts, read 1,183,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm single. I have a deep freezer and I buy 20-80 lbs of beef/poultry/pork at a time. I prep it, cook what I can, and freeze. I save money and always have a homemade dinner on hand.

Your complaint about 4 lbs...ha ha. Why not freeze it? A regular refrigerator freezer can hold 4 lbs of deli meat.

I just can't see why people don't look beyond their next meal when purchasing food.
Yea freezing cold cuts takes away that freshness appeal to me that the premium cuts have

I completely respect your obvious ambition and tenacity that you have and your approach.

I have an avg size chest freezer out in the garage. Its usually always 1/2 full of frozen salmon halibut lingcod or other rockfish and the occasional albacore tuna run. Really never anything else frozen

I am not a fan of frozen steaks either. They are just never the same to me once they have been frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The lower price they pay might affect the quality. There is no other way around.
Lower quality, highly processed meat, chopped pieces, water solution, lots of salt, fillers and other crap. It's just made to look nice. Gased if needed to add pretty color...
See my post above.
I agree ... unless facing extreme hunger there is no way I am eating the lowend cold cuts for that exact same reason.
You may as well opt for bologna if you are buying the bottom tier cold cuts

Old 09-23-2017, 02:24 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,534,811 times
Reading this thread has made me hungry for a (real) old fashioned, ham sandwich. The kind where you serve ham up at Sunday dinner and then are able to slice off pieces for a ham sandwich. No sarcasm intended.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Yea I know the nutritional value and high sodium etc and everything else about healthy foods and the marks against processed meats

Its not like I am making a sandwich daily. its a treat that I would enjoy every few weeks and make an awesome sub that I would chow down over the weekend or create a killer philly cheese steak or build an awesome club sandwich

Mostly my diet is far more healthy that most.

I just find it difficult to make a damn cold cut sandwich and pay more for the cold cuts than a nice steak would cost from the butcher section of the same store
Interesting....for some reason I subconsciously assumed that true "deli meat" would be more healthful than packaged Oscar Mayer cuts - that it was less processed, maybe because they are slicing it for you. How can you find out how many and what kind of preservatives, salt, etc. are in what your deli slices up? Can you ask them for some nutritional information fact sheet or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink