Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:54 AM

983 posts, read 1,188,365 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid ( 1960s - 1970s ) my mom was a stay at home mom and we ate as a family 99% of our meals at home. We were comfortable middle class ... but eating out at restaurants was just something we never did as a family.

The closest thing to eating out as I remember was stopping at Dairy Queen after little league baseball games and sometimes getting a footlong chili dog. Or us picking up a Rons pizza and bringing it home and having pizza - some Mike Sells potato chips and 16oz Cokes in a bottle ( gotta love the 60s )

Anyhow ... as great a cook as my mom was, there were just some food items that I just DID NOT want to eat ( that oddly enough now in my adult life I love to eat )

Here is the short list: Green beans ( now I am talking FRESH green beans ) we had a garden on my grandpas farm and beans were picked and ate within a few days. I just never wanted them as a kid. As I remember my mom boiled them in water to cook them ( always over cooking them so they were mushy ) In my adult life I love green beans, but NEVER boiled in a pot. I sear them on the grill or cook in a skillet over high heat and grill them that way. Carefull not to over cook them

Stuffed green peppers were another of my moms fav things to cook. Seemed like at least once every few weeks I would walk in the door after school and smell that ominous smell of those stuffed peppers baking / roasting in the oven. I would quickly come up with any excuse to NOT be around for dinner. They were stuffed with a seasoned Spanish rice kind of filling and I just did not like them. Now in my adult life I would LOVE to have them anytime as I lover peppers - rice and the such.

A few of the foods I hated as a kid and never grew to like as an adult were: beef liver and oninons - OMG how can anybody actually want to eat that organ ? Yuk !

My mom would also boiled spinach in a pot ( similar to how she over cooked the green beans ) - it would turn into a bitter green mush that just gagged me to smell - much less put it in my mouth. I LOVE baby raw spinach leaves today and eat them near daily. Do I ever have cooked spinach ? No way. No need to cook it as I love it raw

curious about others childhood foods ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM

19,206 posts, read 25,487,249 times
My parents had a general rule that you ate everything on your plate--whether you liked an item or not. My mother used to say, "This isn't a cafeteria. We all eat at the same time, and we all eat the same things".

However, we were allowed one item that we could choose to not eat. As a child, I REALLY disliked beets, and after I came very close to vomiting because of the taste, I was allowed to eschew beets.

As an adult, I learned to like beets, and now that I roast them in the oven, I really, really like them!

Other foods that I disliked as a child, but that I now enjoy, include salmon, sardines, and asparagus.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,529,640 times
Most vegetables, especially greens
Mushrooms
Fish and seafood

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,079,316 times
Freshly shucked oysters. From Yuck! to Yum!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,281,540 times
We ate pasta fagioli often, like at least once a week or escarole and beans or kale and potatoes. During the summer my dad grew snake squash and my God, did I hate eating that but we didn't have a choice unless I made myself disappear that night for dinner but when you're a kid, you really can't just get up and go lol

After I first got married, I really didn't make a lot of those dishes and if I did, it wasn't often, especially the snake squash because I was just so sick of them. Now I make them about once a month with the exception of the snake squash (sometimes when it's in season) and I found that I now appreciate those dishes a lot more than when I was a kid.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 AM

256 posts, read 313,109 times
Rice
Bananas

Old 10-17-2017, 11:54 AM

983 posts, read 1,188,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Most vegetables, especially greens
Mushrooms
Fish and seafood
I grew up in the Midwest and we NEVER had fish or seafood as one of our regular dinner things my mom made.

I am guessing maybe she did not know any recipes or possibly fish / seafood may have been more expensive than the other meat choices. We primarily had hamburgers - chili ( hamburger ) - fried chicken - sometimes baked - 95% fried - pork chops - always Bob Evans sausage for breakfast - we hardly ever had steak - I can think maybe once if that ? -

Always taters - be it fried baked augratten mashed or something
Always a veggie - mostly green beans corn

oddly salads were not something we were served growing up

Old 10-17-2017, 12:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,816,648 times
I wasn't a picky child and I can't think of anything I didn't enjoy then that I like now. In fact, I ate a lot of things then that I wouldn't touch NOW (tuna fish, dark meat, vienna sausages to name a few - blech!!)

Old 10-17-2017, 12:50 PM

22,997 posts, read 6,472,412 times
Mushrooms
Avocado

Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM

7,216 posts, read 4,907,498 times
Only thing that comes to mind that I strongly disliked as a child is beef liver and onions. I still dislike it, but I will eat chicken livers—love’em in fact. I also love Braunschweiger (smoked liverwurst), but I think I always loved that.

There was a little German meat market where I grew up that made the best Braunschweiger......it’s still there and sill making their smoked meats. (Wonder if they ship?)

Sorry, got off track there! Yummm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink