Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:50 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times

Advertisements

In my experience it’s a must for Italian beef sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 05:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
I used to love that. Haven't had it in years, but I still see it in stores.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:02 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,072,428 times
I make my own version.
We Armenians refer to it as 'toorshi'........pickled vegetables.

I use my mother's recipe, using cauliflower, cabbage, carrots and celery.
I put it in a big stoneware crock pot, let it sit for a few days...then jar it up for the holidays. Keep it in the fridge.

In fact my sister was just asking me if I would be making it this year.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:40 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
In my experience it’s a must for Italian beef sandwiches.
Yah. A beef without giardiniera is kind of like a pizza without cheese. It really perfects the sandwich. There are so many great uses for it too.

Giardiniera is a very versatile condiment that can be used on a variety of different foods such as bratwurst, bruschetta, burgers, pasta salad, eggs (omelets), hot dogs, tuna salad, sandwiches, and much more. In the U.S. it is not uncommon to use giardiniera even on pasta or, in the Chicago area, pizza.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardiniera

Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
I was Born and Raised Southside of Chicago. Loved my Taylor street italian ice and beans.... Hot giardiniera is a staple for me lol. I always have a bottle in the fridge. I moved to Texas a few years ago and nobody out here knows what it is. Theres 0 Italian culture out here. I always keep a bottle in my fridge . It usually goes on my Italian sausage, Italian Beef (shipped in from chicago), and bratwursts.

When we first moved here we went to the store and asked for Italian beef and aju . They looked as us like we were crazy

I actually just made a pizza the other day with Italian Beef and Hot giardiniera on it. It was amazing lol

When I run out, I usually grab a bottle at pot belly . Theirs is pretty good.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:33 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Love giardiniera. Learned to love it in WI (close enough to Chicago), and then it was in the stores everywhere in NJ. And it is similar to olive salad on a muffaletta.

I've made my own and actually canned it in small batches when good fall vegetables come in. Ball has a pretty good basic recipe, though you could certainly just make it with any quick-pickle brine as others have suggested. We like it spicy/hot, so we tend to cut the sugar somewhat in our brines and add banana peppers and even jalapenos to our vegetable mixture. Love pickles of all kinds!

Here's a basic recipe if you'd like to make some: Classic Canning at it's Best - Jardiniere (Giardiniera) - Canning Homemade!

Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I’ve only had it in brine, never seen it in oil.

I prefer the Mexican/California way using carrots, jalapeños, a little garlic (onions and cauliflower are optional) in a salt & vinegar brine.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:45 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I’ve only had it in brine, never seen it in oil.

I prefer the Mexican/California way using carrots, jalapeños, a little garlic (onions and cauliflower are optional) in a salt & vinegar brine.
Debsi, we lived in Phoenix for 25+ years and part time in Mexico for a couple of years. I know exactly what you are talking about and I like it. But it's more like like pickled, not really like gardinieria.

DH introduced me to gardinieria on a visit to Portillo's in Chicago, his home town. I instantly fell deeply in lust with this stuff. The HOT version of Marconi's is in the fridge at all times.
Purchased from World Market.

And I've learned how to make a good version of the Italian beef in the instant pot, although it's more shredded than sliced. If i could get the proper bread it would be a terrific copy.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I have had it, I like it but haven't ate it in years. Now I must get some.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:28 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
The "Chicago Style" Hot giardiniera is different from the stuff I see in stores most everywhere else, it's sort of a dark green, heavy on the chunks of sport peppers. Also has extra doses of small olives, sliced celery and red pepper flakes.

The stuff Potbelly sells as "hot peppers" (available in jars) is a close approximation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink