Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,329,814 times

Advertisements

No. However I blanch / boil beef, lamb and pork to remove the froth and scum before cooking or freezing them. I also blanch ground meat in boiling water or oil, depending on the recipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 06:07 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
I rinse all meats, to get that slime and food coloring off. I also give it a lime bath, while I wash the meat. fruits and veggies get a rinse as well.

I have seen how food is prepped in a butcher shop, all done in a sanitary prep area, but just sits there until the consumer come. just give it a try, let some steaks sit in water, and see all that loose fat and slimy stuff come to the surface. also , see all that red food coloring fade away, leaving a grayish / pinkish tone. Besides that, I like to trim some of the fat off my chicken pieces, and cant stand the gristley parts.

fruits and veggies as well get a rinse off, before peeling. those food products were last cleansed just before boxing and shipping. too much airtime for me.

I dont think it is an ethnic thing, since most people I know do the same, even in the most primitive of environments . After what I have read so far on this thread, it really has me wondering why people talking bad about the food truck industry.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:08 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
The only time I have rinsed meat was when it fell on the floor.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:19 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,329,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
The only time I have rinsed meat was when it fell on the floor.
How do we know if the meat had not fallen on the floor before it was picked up and packed. LOL

Old 12-10-2017, 06:35 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
How do we know if the meat had not fallen on the floor before it was picked up and packed. LOL
That’s true but I don’t know that unless I do it...

Old 12-10-2017, 07:31 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
OP, it's not a cultural thing to wash meat. It's a sensible, hygienic practice that is not unique to any particular cultures and lots of people do it.

I don't wash ground meats. I have always rinsed all other meats/fish/poultry to remove any sticky fluids, blood clots, dirt, bone dust/chips and other 'mystery' particulates off them.

I also always wash and scrub all fresh veggies and fruits. Pat everything dry with clean paper towel and cook.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I've never in my life washed meat. I've heard of people rinsing chicken.

Today at work, I was helping a coworker get a pot roast ready for the crockpot and she said I have to rinse it first and I said huh? She even rinses ground beef. So my other 2 female coworkers said they did the same thing bc the meat is dirty. Of course, I wasn't going to explain science and the fact that now they spread the germs all over the sink, etc.

Is this a cultural thing bc 2/3 of the girls are black and the other has been married to a black man for 20 years and has definitely appropriated that culture.

I have NEVER heard of washing ALL meats.

WHY??
How on earth do you wash hamburger? Besides very carefully. That doesn't even make sense.

I used to rinse chicken because it was slimy. I don't anymore. I have never rinsed off beef.....definitely not hamburger!

Old 12-10-2017, 08:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I wash all meats (not ground ones) because I find supermarket meats come very often sitting in liquid (which is blood) and I want it, and its bacteria, off my food. I rinse and dry every kind of protein. I can't believe you don't want meat/fish/poultry germs in your sink but you don't mind them in your mouth.
You're going to cook the met which kills most bacteria especially when cooked to the proper temperature. Rinsing won't get rid of the bacteria. It's not just on the surface.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I rinse ground beef after cooking it. It significantly reduces the saturated fat and calorie content.
I season ground beef when cooking it, so, no, I'm not going to rinse all the seasoning off.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I wash all meats (not ground ones) because I find supermarket meats come very often sitting in liquid (which is blood) and I want it, and its bacteria, off my food. I rinse and dry every kind of protein. I can't believe you don't want meat/fish/poultry germs in your sink but you don't mind them in your mouth.
I cook my meat at sufficient temperatures to kill any dangerous bacteria (which is a small percentage of bacteria, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink