Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 06:47 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Subway has a certain clientele. There are only so many of them. And if you build 5 Subways, they make decent money because all the people who want Subway will go there. If you then build 35 more, you will only cannabilize the original fives clientele. And now NO ONE will make money.

They have opened far too many, and even McDonalds don't have anywhere near as many outlets as Subway.

Also making a sandwich is not rocket science and there are plenty of competitors whether large chains or local sandwich delis in most western countries.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:09 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
The only reason I'll choose Subway is because any sandwich can be made into a salad.
You don't get that anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I've noticed that Subways tend to locate in places in the bottom rung of "flyover country" demographics where no other national chains will go (either really rural or areas that are struggling). Yes, you have Subways in sought after areas, but I wonder how they even make it in some of those areas, unless it's from non adventurous people who are from the areas where Subways are their only option and they just pick what they know.
Judgmental much? There are plenty of reasons for choosing fast food restaurants like Subway - proximity, price, preference - in any part of the country or in any area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
It's no more inexpensive than at any other corner deli, bodega, 7/11 or supermarket. You can even find better tasting inexpensive prepackaged sandwiches at some of the pharmacy chains that have a deli section, like CVS and Walgreens.
Never seen a drug store chain with a deli in it. Maybe in your neck of the woods, but your neck of the woods doesn't apply everywhere else. Same with corner delis and bodegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Little Caesars? Now there's a blast from the past! Haven't seen one in years.....probably well over 10 years now. Last time I saw one it was inside a KMart.....that tells us something right there!
What that tells you right there is that Little Caesars and K-Mart both are Detroit-area chains that entered into a marketing agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I guess I find it hard to believe that people who haven't lived here assume the food and restaurant choices available to them are also available in small town mid America. As for why people eat there, well, you have 30 minutes to eat lunch or grab supper for the family between soccer practice and Little League. Choices are: One of the big 4 burgers; Chick Filet; Taco Bell; Subway; or bucket of fried chicken from the Colonel. Drive through most small towns and that's 90% of your choices. Occasionally a local diner/burger/BBQ joint.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
We used to go to a mom n pop butcher shop all the time when I was a kid. They'd cut the meats to order. It was pretty cool.
They'd cut the meats to order (I always got a free hot dog to munch on while the butcher prepared my parents' order), but they didn't make a sandwich for you. You want a sandwich? The butcher shop would sell you some sliced meat and cheese, a small jar of mayo, and a loaf of bread. Make your own sandwich.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What that tells you right there is that Little Caesars and K-Mart both are Detroit-area chains that entered into a marketing agreement.

Why are you rolling your eyes? Kmart is in major financial trouble and it's not a Detroit based chain. Kmart's headquarters is in Illinois today. Little Caesars is in Detroit. Detroit has it's own issues. So I wouldn't be all excited and bragging about Detroit. They have a lot of things to improve on there and hopefully they can turn things around.....become like Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has done an amazing turn around..sure there's more they can do, but it's light years ahead of where it was.

Little Caesars used to be all over the place. They haven't been in well over 10 years. They've fallen on some real hard times. Much like KMart. That's what I was referring to. No eye rolling necessary...the truth is hard.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 PM

666 posts, read 513,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Never seen a drug store chain with a deli in it. Maybe in your neck of the woods, but your neck of the woods doesn't apply everywhere else. Same with corner delis and bodegas.
Are you saying that because drug stores, delis and bodegas aren't everywhere, that means Subway sandwiches are inexpensive? Because that's what your response literally amounts to. You're like that other poster that ranted that people choose Subway over delis and bodegas because not everyone has delis and bodegas in their area.

Weird.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Are you saying that because drug stores, delis and bodegas aren't everywhere, that means Subway sandwiches are inexpensive? Because that's what your response literally amounts to. You're like that other poster that ranted that people choose Subway over delis and bodegas because not everyone has delis and bodegas in their area.

Weird.
Why is this weird?

People don't flock to entities that don't exist.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The last time I ate there I had a veggie sub with sweet onion dressing and it was inedible and I threw it out even though I was starving. I complained on the web and got a gift card for $10 which I gave away. I remember when they used to cut a v-groove in the top of the roll instead of cutting it in half. Its basically cold cuts which are processed and loaded with salt and fat. Quiznos was infinitely superior and it is circling the drain.
That perturbed me as well.... I'm told that you can request that they "V-cut" it, although given how long it's been, I'm not sure if many "sandwich artists" know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
I think they both lived and died by the '$5 footlong' marketing hysteria

Was it a good deal and brought in many more customers and revenue? - YES

What it also accomplished was the power of suggestion that a foot long subs market value is $5

Therefore when they tried charging customers $5-6 for a much smaller 6" sub after the promotion expired, everyone cried foul !!
For a brief period of time, I would get extras like a couple of cookies, or bag of chips. Otherwise, I'd just be "in & out" with my footlong sub. AFAIK, they wanted extra foot traffic to drive more sales of other stuff (presumably higher margins), but it just wasn't worth it.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I seriously had no idea the v-cut was obsolete. I guess that shows how often I go.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why are you rolling your eyes? Kmart is in major financial trouble and it's not a Detroit based chain. Kmart's headquarters is in Illinois today. Little Caesars is in Detroit. Detroit has it's own issues. So I wouldn't be all excited and bragging about Detroit. They have a lot of things to improve on there and hopefully they can turn things around.....become like Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has done an amazing turn around..sure there's more they can do, but it's light years ahead of where it was.

Little Caesars used to be all over the place. They haven't been in well over 10 years. They've fallen on some real hard times. Much like KMart. That's what I was referring to. No eye rolling necessary...the truth is hard.
Little Caesers is making a come back in my area, they just opened a new in my town few months ago. The one we used to have was inside Kmart, which closed back in 2001.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:

Weird.
What it all comes down to is for many people their only choices for fast food is Subway, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, and Pizza Hut.

When all you have are these choices, Subway is the healthiest, and that's what keeps them in business.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What it all comes down to is for many people their only choices for fast food is Subway, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, and Pizza Hut.

When all you have are these choices, Subway is the healthiest, and that's what keeps them in business.
none of it is healthy: maybe Subway is a step not being unhealthy but healthy NO!! When ever you get sandwiches made with more bread than anything and the meat is nothing more than processed it is far from healthy. Fun once in awhile, of course, but don't fool yourself. In fact no fast food is healthy. Actually probably Burger King if you take the bread away is as healthy as almost any fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.