Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:29 AM

155 posts, read 132,646 times

Advertisements

I can eat steak that's over cooked - although of course I prefer med rare as do most all steak aficionados.

Last night I was witness to my buddy over cooking the prime rib. The internal temp was just under 150 when he yanked it from the oven and there was no red / pink inside at all when he cut into it after it rested for 10mins.

Then he cut the pieces so thin ( like 1/4" to 1/2" ) they all got cold as they were placed on the serving tray while the chaos of seating kids and everything ensued.

I just rolled with the flow and helped as much as I could - I was a gracious and thankful guest and it was still a wonderful dinner. Over cooked prime rib is still better than most things people have for dinner.

Next year his gift will be a remote internal meat temp thingmajig

Old 12-26-2017, 01:24 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
I made a 3 rib prime rib last night for Christmas; my first time making prime rib. I got a very nice quality piece of meat, rubbed herb butter all over it, and then put it in the oven. I checked it at 5:45 and the internal temp was about 120. I should have taken it out right then, since I was shooting for medium rare, knowing there would be carry over cooking, but no....I left it in about 15 more minutes.

When I took it out, it was beautiful. We let it rest, then sliced it, and it was pretty much medium to medium well. I was disappointed, and a bit angry at myself for not taking it out sooner. However, it was still wonderful and everyone was very complimentary. As one guest pointed out, it had a little something for everyone. Some well done pieces, and a few pieces that were still pink. When you have a large group, you should consider that not everyone likes rare or medium rare.

Nonetheless, I still wished I would have taken it out sooner and won't make the same mistake again, but the cook is always hardest on his/herself, right?

Old 12-26-2017, 01:54 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Since you were a gracious and thankful guest, you might just show him the proper way to cook. I bet, in return, he would be very gracious and thankful, since they had hands full with all that cooking for the guests, AND dealing with kids

While I am with you on that cooking matter - prime ribs should be ...
Spoiler

but some people fear to serve "undercooked" meat and cause some health problems for those who eat their meat only well done.
Thermometer is essential kitchen tool, and there is absolutely no way to cook prime ribs without a thermometer. Don't even try it! The roast could take anywhere from 12-18 minutes per pound to get to the right temperature. Guessing is a recipe for disaster.
I usually crank my oven to the max, and when it's heated - roast the rib for 20 min at this high temperature. This will give the roast a nice golden brown base. Then I turn the oven down to ~300ºF and return the roast to the oven.
Remote thermometer is the best, because you can set your desirable temperature - in this case to about 125F, and let it roast till it reach at the thickest part of the roast.
If there is no remote thermometer, you need to check it every 10 min or so.
A nightmare scenario is seeing 140ºF in the thickest part of the roast.
After I nailed the temperature on the roast, I will remove it and let it rest (covered loosely with foil) for 20 minutes. The roast will continue to rise in temperature during this time. Generally, the thickest part of the roast will gain another 10 degrees during this resting process.
Cutting the the ribs off the roast is easy. Get a sharp knife and slice as close as possible to the ribs.

Note: Whatever you do - WHATEVER YOU DO!!! don't throw away these bones. You can grill them and eat them as-is, or use them to make the best beef stock of your life, or make a number of beef-based soups. They are expensive and delicious, so use them!

Old 12-26-2017, 02:01 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Since you were a gracious and thankful guest, you might just show him the proper way to cook. I bet, in return, he would be very gracious and thankful, since they had hands full with all that cooking for the guests, AND dealing with kids

but some people fear to serve "undercooked" meat and cause some health problems for those who eat their meat only well done.
Thermometer is essential kitchen tool, and there is absolutely no way to cook prime ribs without a thermometer. Don't even try it! The roast could take anywhere from 12-18 minutes per pound to get to the right temperature. Guessing is a recipe for disaster.
I usually crank my oven to the max, and when it's heated - roast the rib for 20 min at this high temperature. This will give the roast a nice golden brown base. Then I turn the oven down to ~300ºF and return the roast to the oven.
Remote thermometer is the best, because you can set your desirable temperature - in this case to about 125F, and let it roast till it reach at the thickest part of the roast.
If there is no remote thermometer, you need to check it every 10 min or so.
A nightmare scenario is seeing 140ºF in the thickest part of the roast.
After I nailed the temperature on the roast, I will remove it and let it rest (covered loosely with foil) for 20 minutes. The roast will continue to rise in temperature during this time. Generally, the thickest part of the roast will gain another 10 degrees during this resting process.
Cutting the the ribs off the roast is easy. Get a sharp knife and slice as close as possible to the ribs.

Note: Whatever you do - WHATEVER YOU DO!!! don't throw away these bones. You can grill them and eat them as-is, or use them to make the best beef stock of your life, or make a number of beef-based soups. They are expensive and delicious, so use them!
Not much to add to this just - DON'T rely on your oven probe-based plug in thermometer - I cooked this yesterday and mine was 5-10 degrees different from my instant read thermometer.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:53 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Mine was still respectable, but the next time I make it for just us, I'm aiming for something closer to your picture.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
i usually pull out early......125f then let set.

very expensive to ruin by leaving in too long,,,,,, i've told a couple friends and family members to pull out around 125f..... if its just one person that doesn't like it pink......then leave just a portion/piece in longer but pull the rest out ...

ive seen people do the same with 25.99 lb prime grade tenderloin...

Old 12-27-2017, 03:14 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
I can eat steak that's over cooked - although of course I prefer med rare as do most all steak aficionados.

Last night I was witness to my buddy over cooking the prime rib...
I'm sure your "buddy" is quite appreciative of your tolerance.

He tried, and it didn't cost you a penny. Get over it.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Some people don't like pink meat. Who are you to criticize?

Old 12-27-2017, 09:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
that may be true but there are some meats that are meant not to be overcooked, just like some that would never be served rare. Prime rib is one that should be medium or medium rare or rare, just like pork shoulder should be well done. I agree with the OP. I have a $50 prime rib in the freezer right now that we will have on New Years. At one point I was going to take it to our granddaughters for Christmas but she does not eat beef, has never fixed a Christmas dinner before and would have over cooked the meat I am sure. I am so glad i didn't waste the money.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 AM

155 posts, read 132,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Criticize ? I thought this was a food drink DISCUSSION forum?

Not that I owe you an explanation, but for everyones elses benefit. My buddy had a crude set of crib notes on a small piece of paper with generic info: time temp and 130 degrees cooked or something to that effect. Plus the obvious disappointment he expressed when he sliced into it. It was more than obvious his goal was to yank it from the oven much much earlier. He stated this was his 1st rib roast so he used his Mulligan and learned to monitor the temp more closely on the next one.

It was still a wonderful dinner and I got to share some beers with a good friend and enjoyed watching his grandkids play with the few gifts that I brought them. His wife went goo goo over the batch of flowers I nabbed from Wal-Mart the night before. Looked like a simple $16 bouquet to me, but she really clamored on and on about the vivid colors and such, so that was a nice surprise

And elnina, that roast looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing the pics. maybe slicing thinner is more common than I thought? I noticed yours cut 3/8" thick or so. I am just used to man sized pieces from restaurants I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink