Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 12:31 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times

Advertisements

—in your kitchen? What item do you love to look at or enjoy using? What makes you smile or look forward to using?

In my kitchen, I have a bright blue tea kettle. I really enjoy boiling water for tea in it and pouring the boiling water into my light blue teapot. The ritual of making tea in a teapot is very pleasant and it is more so for me because I use kettle and pot that I find aesthetically pleasing. It also helps that I like drinking tea!

What do you have in your kitchen that makes you happy to use? Or that you are simply happy to have in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 04:23 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,629,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
—in your kitchen? What item do you love to look at or enjoy using? What makes you smile or look forward to using?

In my kitchen, I have a bright blue tea kettle. I really enjoy boiling water for tea in it and pouring the boiling water into my light blue teapot. The ritual of making tea in a teapot is very pleasant and it is more so for me because I use kettle and pot that I find aesthetically pleasing. It also helps that I like drinking tea!

What do you have in your kitchen that makes you happy to use? Or that you are simply happy to have in there?
I don’t do much cooking, but I love my granite countertops and my brand new stainless steel appliances.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:01 AM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times
I love my new refrigerator. It’s black stainless with French doors. I like opening it and seeing everything above waist level, and I like how brightly lit it is inside.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I have never really thought about it I guess. I do love my air fryer, only because it does so much and is so easy to clean, but no special feelings connected with it. I do remember from time to time,when using by over sized skillet how happy spoiled brat was when he gave it to me for Christmas several years ago. Now, we just
gripe cause it is way to heavy for me to lift if I have much in it and it is even getting heavy for him. It is still special though and one other thing that brings back memories I guess or makes me feel good is my steamer cause it was my dad's and he has been gone 18 years.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:11 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,068,971 times
well not strictly cooking - OK not cooking at all - a ceramic cow named Doris. I got her at a yard sale when I dropped something on her and one of her ears broke off. I bought her and glued it back and now she lives on the stove. I know her name is Doris because it is painted on the base. You can see her down at the bottom of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your favorite thing—--toot.jpg  

Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,483,006 times
I have a large stained glass cat face in my kitchen window over the sink. Every morning when the sun comes up it turns part of my kitchen beautiful shades of blue. I always smile when I see the colors.

For actual cooking gear that is harder. Up until it broke a couple weeks ago I would have said one of my casserole dishes. It was off white with cherries and red polka dots. It was just so cheerful looking. I adored that thing. Unfortunately the darn thing cracked on me!

Old 02-27-2018, 06:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,068,193 times
I bought this house in June and did some kitchen renovations. Although I'm not a big (or good!) cook, I do like spending time in there now.

My favorite thing about the kitchen itself? Its feeling of space.

My favorite thing in the kitchen? Although not often used, my berry bowl:

Old 02-27-2018, 06:52 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,483,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I bought this house in June and did some kitchen renovations. Although I'm not a big (or good!) cook, I do like spending time in there now.

My favorite thing about the kitchen itself? Its feeling of space.

My favorite thing in the kitchen? Although not often used, my berry bowl:
I absolutely LOVE your kitchen. We bought our house this summer. The kitchen was done in grays and all new stainless everything. I hate it. In the near future I am,getting rid of the grey and moving to white appliances like you have. I am not neat enough for open cabinets though!
By the way that bowl is the cutest! Makes me me miss my cherry casserole dish even more!

Old 02-27-2018, 07:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,068,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I absolutely LOVE your kitchen. We bought our house this summer. The kitchen was done in grays and all new stainless everything. I hate it. In the near future I am,getting rid of the grey and moving to white appliances like you have.
By the way that bowl is the cutest! Makes me me miss my cherry casserole dish even more!
You know what a berry bowl is, right? (I didn't know when I got it, so I shouldn't assume that everyone knows.) It's a bowl with holes in it, like a sieve, with a plate underneath, so that you can rinse your berries in the bowl and then put it on the plate so that the residual water has someplace to go.

Thanks for the kitchen love. That whole level of the house is open concept -- the kitchen bleeds into the living room beyond the white stools that you see (the dining area is past the other end of the kitchen), so that made the kitchen easy to work with.

People LOVE stainless everything! (But I'm with you -- I don't love it either.)

What happened to your cherry casserole dish??

ETA: What else, besides the appliances, is gray? The walls? Paint them. That might be all you need to do so that you can love your kitchen.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,433,943 times
Easily, my cutting board.

I spent $100 on a custom made, Large, end grain maple cutting board. By large, I mean it takes up most of the depth of the counter and is a 1/3rd wider while standing about 2.5" tall.

Why is it my favorite? Several reasons, first is that it's easy on my expensive knives, I have to sharpen them about half as often now. Next is that I'm 6'4" and it raises my work surface to a more comfortable height and last is that it has such a HUGE area that I have room to work AND leave my prepared piles on the cutting board.

I'm a cook though, I use that thing at least twice a day and 3 times or more about half the time. Clearly, I'm a function over form guy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink