Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I can't believe it's not butter spray would also work.
This exactly what my wife uses. A few sprays have hardly any calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 12:02 AM

10,719 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Popcorn is a pretty good diet snack if you don't load it with butter because it has fiber, which makes you feel fuller, among other benefits.
For someone trying to lose weight, the popcorn is significantly worse than the butter.

In case you didn’t know, the “Food Pyramid” has pretty much been discredited.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
For someone trying to lose weight, the popcorn is significantly worse than the butter.

In case you didn’t know, the “Food Pyramid” has pretty much been discredited.
I don’t agree at all with your first statement.

When did I mention the food pyramid? I said fiber helps with weight management and also has other health benefits. (Cholesterol, slows blood sugar spikes, keeps you fuller so you eat less later)

Some sources:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...eight#section5
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...ight-control#1
Fiber | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University
How Much Fiber Is in Popcorn? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Old 04-16-2018, 10:33 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Another question related to my current phase of trying (again) to lose weight.

We've discovered air popped popcorn. It's good BUT not great without the butter. But we can deal with that and try to forget it. HOWEVER, we cannot deal with not having any salt on this stuff. I have popcorn salt, but not unexpectedly, it doesn't stick at all.

How do I get at least SOME salt to stick to this stuff without bumping up the calories and oil? Or is it a lost cause?
There is I can't believe it's not butter spray. No calories. Spray a little on it then the salt.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 AM

17,676 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Not too long ago, a relative of mine went to her doctor for an annual checkup. The doctor said she was pre-diabetic, her cholesterol was too high, and she needed to lose some weight. The doctor recommended that she go on a diet. He said there was no need for her to starve herself or to make any drastic changes. His suggestion was for her to continue eating all of her normal meals but to only eat half. Always just half. And he also suggested that she eat low salt, low butter popcorn whenever she wanted a snack. No other snacks, just the popcorn.

She followed this diet exactly and it apparently worked very well. She lost a bunch of weight, she is no longer pre-diabetic, her cholesterol level is much better, and she said she feels like a completely different person now. She also said that the half meals were no problem at all after about a week.

I don't know if the popcorn made any difference but that's what the doctor advised for snacking.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Stay away from microwave popcorn, they use the waxy hydrogenated oils that is difficult for the body to digest. Popcorn is really easy to make, even with a nice pot like a dutch oven makes a perfect popper.

Coconut oil makes the best pop corn just a spoon of that stuff with a 1/2 cup of kernels and popcorn salt is all you need to make movie theater popcorn. Do the medium heat fire and wait for the popcorn to pop.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I don’t agree at all with your first statement.
That’s fine, science doesn’t care that you agree or not.

Quote:
When did I mention the food pyramid? I said fiber helps with weight management and also has other health benefits. (Cholesterol, slows blood sugar spikes, keeps you fuller so you eat less later)
You didn’t. But the food pyramid is generally the source of the belief that eating large quantities of grains is good for you. Corn is used to fatten up pigs, and it works just as well with people.

Recommending that one eat corn to get fiber is like recommending eating ice cream to get calcium.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
So I tried the Pam butter flavored spray tonight. I needed to put a little more in than I expected, but it worked pretty well. The popcorn salt did stick more, but not as much as I'm used to. Which is probably a good thing.

Added surprise benefit: That stuff does a great imitation of what butter tastes like. Really made the air popped popcorn much better. Gonna have to try it with scrambled eggs.

One more thing: I'm doing this weight loss thing through a research study at Duke University Hospital. No drugs involved, and I was one of 470 people accepted into the study. But I'll be sure to tell the researchers that TaxPhd said that they are making people fat when the recommend air popped popcorn as a crunchy snack.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
So I tried the Pam butter flavored spray tonight. I needed to put a little more in than I expected, but it worked pretty well. The popcorn salt did stick more, but not as much as I'm used to. Which is probably a good thing.

Added surprise benefit: That stuff does a great imitation of what butter tastes like. Really made the air popped popcorn much better. Gonna have to try it with scrambled eggs.

One more thing: I'm doing this weight loss thing through a research project at Duke University Hospital. No drugs involved, and I was one of 470 people accepted into the study. But I'll be sure to tell the researchers that TaxPhd said that they are making people fat when the recommend air popped popcorn as a crunchy snack.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

One more thing: I'm doing this weight loss thing through a research study at Duke University Hospital. No drugs involved, and I was one of 470 people accepted into the study. But I'll be sure to tell the researchers that TaxPhd said that they are making people fat when the recommend air popped popcorn as a crunchy snack.
Is it possible to cut calories enough to lose weight in spite of carb consumption? Of course. But that doesn’t change the reality of what carbs do to the human body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink