Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Thanks for your input !
The manufacturer needs to replace this "uncured" label to "organic", because we already know what "organic" food means.
"Uncured" gives the impression of not fully cooked or has raw beef.
But it's not necessarily organic. I don't think you really do know what organic means.

Organic would refer to how the animal is treated prior to slaughter. Uncured refers to how the meat is treated after it's been butchered and ground.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 09:58 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input !
The manufacturer needs to replace this "uncured" label to "organic", because we already know what "organic" food means.
There is no reason to think it is organic unless the label says organic. Uncured and organic aren't the same thing.

Organic hot dogs would be made with meat from animals that had only ever eaten certified organic feed and the fillers in the hot dog would be certified organic grains or legumes. Casings would come from certified organic animals or else be made from certified organic materials ( I don't know what synthetic casings are made from )

Curing might still be organic because it is a naturally occurring product and a natural process.

But, I agree. The "uncured" label is confusing.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:05 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is there meat in hot dogs?

The difference between cured and uncured is the fact that the uncured uses natural curing agents, such as celery powder, which transforms into nitrite when it is processed. Thus, uncured products have labels with: “No Nitrates or Nitrites added except those naturally in celery powder or juice."
Uncured hot dogs, like cured hot dogs, are fully cooked and should be prepared the same way.
Safe to eat. And much healthier.
Exactly, anything unprocessed or very little in this case is going to be much healthier to eat.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ed-meat-is-bad

Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I never understood cured or uncured but I have always made sure hotdogs are nitrate/nitrite free. It's nothing new or faddish. In fact, the healthier ones are getting easier to find lately. Even Oscar Meyer has one that's healthy. There are enough ways to get cancer these days with this artificial world we live in so why add one more risk. Especially for colon cancer. Hotdogs are yummy.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:48 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I never understood cured or uncured but I have always made sure hotdogs are nitrate/nitrite free. It's nothing new or faddish. In fact, the healthier ones are getting easier to find lately. Even Oscar Meyer has one that's healthy. There are enough ways to get cancer these days with this artificial world we live in so why add one more risk. Especially for colon cancer. Hotdogs are yummy.
If they contain celery powder then they are not nitrate-free.

I hope everyone here knows that nitrate/nitrites stops growth of botulism bacteria - which can kill you.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input !
If you bought this:
Best and Worst Hot Dogs - Health
It was probably the best choice you could make. Glad you care about what you feed your kids.

Given a choice I always buy raw food (like milk), and uncured meat/cold cuts. They have a shorter shelf life but I don't need to store it for weeks/months. Fresh food is consumed promptly.

Last edited by elnina; 06-19-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 03:06 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,212,275 times
Hot dogs are a known carcinogen according to the World Health Organization. Why in the world you you want to consume that?

Not to mention it's a pig's anus!

Old 06-19-2018, 03:32 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Hot dogs are a known carcinogen according to the World Health Organization. Why in the world you you want to consume that?

Not to mention it's a pig's anus!
And every hamburger ever grilled is a "known carcinogen". Oh sorry vegans, the aristolochic acids found in many plants are also confirmed carcinogens.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:33 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
A useful reference on the hot dog - - -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

FYI - Traditional casing is made from the small intestines of sheep. . . not pigs, nor the large intestines.

As to other "alarmist" claims about diet, well, let's just say "follow the money."
"Someone" benefits when muggles run screaming in fear of [fill in the blank].

Old 06-19-2018, 04:45 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Why would a (presumably) mainstream store such as a supermarket knowingly sell unsafe food?

Of course uncured hot dogs are safe to eat.

And "uncured" is not the equivalent of "organic." They cannot be labeled organic unless they are actually organic, for which there are specific regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink