Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times

Advertisements

This is a "for fun" thread

So, my friend from Oklahoma posted a story on FB about a new frozen potato dish that you can prepare and serve. It comes in a bag from the freezer section.

It is called "Funeral Potatoes". Apparently it is known by that name in the Midwest, but the Walmart customers are talking about this product.

Well, I checked with my Hubby and neither one of us has ever heard of this dish, at least not called by this name. I am guessing it is quick to prepare, and people would bring it to a Church funeral where they have a reception afterward in the Fellowship Hall.

Does anyone make this? Do people in your locality call it by this name? If so, where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I have never heard of "funeral potatoes" in the Midwest. I have had them several times at funerals in Utah.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have heard that the familiar-to-most cheese and hash brown potato casserole is called this in some areas....
Hash browns
Cheddar
Cream of chicken soup
Sour cream
Butter

Old 08-02-2018, 07:25 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have never heard of "funeral potatoes" in the Midwest. I have had them several times at funerals in Utah.
I’ve never had a hash brown casserole, but I have heard of funeral potatoes, maybe on city-data. I also associate them with Utah for whatever reason.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
My mother makes "funeral potatoes," but not for funerals usually. She usually makes them for large family gatherings. Yes, we are definitely in the Midwest. She uses the cubed hash browns, not the shredded, some kind of "cream of soup," lots of cheddar cheese, and maybe some other stuff.

I've never made them because she or someone else usually makes them. Personally I'd add some canned diced chiles for a little heat.

It's one of those things like Mac-n-Cheese that probably freezes well because of all of the fat. I know they don't take long to put together--maybe 5 minutes. Not something I would ever buy.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:01 AM

This is always on the menu with the holiday ham.

Here it is, for those who don’t have it.

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole

2# frozen hash browns, thawed
salt and pepper
2 T grated or minced onion
1 stick melted butter
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 pint sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup

Crushed Potato chips (optional)

Mix the ingredients together and place in a casserole dish, or 13x9. Top with potato chips, if desired (I think this is overkill, but some like it). Bake at 350 until bubbly...30-45 minutes. If your potatoes are frozen it will take longer.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I never heard them called "funeral potatoes" in Southern MN. But what everyone brought to church potlucks was homemade escalloped potatoes usually with chunks of ham in it.

You can assemble the raw potatoes, meat and onion in the casserole and pour a seasoned cream sauce over it or you can layer it with flour and pour hot milk over it before baking.

The second method is handy but I think the first is the traditional and less "curdled" looking.

They are so tasty and inexpensive to make that I can't imagine buying them already prepared.

My shredded hash brown recipe is for au gratins. Layer the potatoes with sharp cheddar, salt and pepper, pour half and half over the casserole. Let stand overnight and bake uncovered sprinkled lightly with paprika.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:25 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Funeral potatoes are well known in Utah and among other Mormon communities.

We just call them party potatoes here.

Not sure what all the angst is about. There are still communities where people take food to families who have suffered a bereavement. The hash brown casserole is something many people like, it is a comfort food, and it is easy to prepare and serve. It's an ideal dish for the purpose.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Anyway, it’s new to me, if Walmart is indeed selling frozen funeral potatoes. I can see someone like Stouffers having a casserole, but not a bag of frozen mix. I don’t shop there, but it’s not something I would buy anyway.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 AM

723 posts, read 570,381 times
If it's on the Food Network's website, it's definitely a thing:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...tatoes-3268651

This recipe has great reviews. Now I'm hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink