Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,535 times

Advertisements

One of our neighbors died of cancer. I see obituary in the paper. We had the typical neighbor relationship, a few waves and a few short conversations through the years. We were not friends but friendly.

Is it more appropriate to attend the wake in the funeral home, or the funeral it self? Considering we were just friendly not friends.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Seems it would be easier to express your condolences to the family at the wake, since they're set up for that sort of thing. To some people though, the number of friends who attend the funeral is important, as if it's the final tally of worth.

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One of our neighbors died of cancer. I see obituary in the paper. We had the typical neighbor relationship, a few waves and a few short conversations through the years. We were not friends but friendly.

Is it more appropriate to attend the wake in the funeral home, or the funeral it self? Considering we were just friendly not friends.
The wake or both. The wake is for the family. That's where you'll have a chance to help support them in their time of need. As to the funeral, it's really the total number of people who attend, not any one who isn't close to the family. I don't remember all the people who came to my mom's funeral but I remember there were a lot of them. It was the size of her funeral that mattered. Individuals mattered at the wake because I could talk to them there and find out how they knew her.

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:

Are these things you should really ask others for an opinion?

I thought there are some spectra of life which are above opinion.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Let me put it this way. If a storm hit your neighbor's house, would you pitch in to help? If the house caught on fire, would you do everything in your power to assist? Similarly, a disaster has happened in your neighbors lives. They are devastated by the tragedy. Small things like cooking meals can suddenly seem like huge ordeals. They need all the help and support they can get.

Be the generous person. Take brownies or food, for they will be too exhausted to cook. Offer to run an errand or two for the stricken family. Pop into during the visitation to see the family. It takes 10 minutes, tops. Then attend the funeral.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Are these things you should really ask others for an opinion?

I thought there are some spectra of life which are above opinion.
Honestly. You took the words outta my mouth.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:

I'd go to the funeral home for the visitation there - that's typically where people in your situation would go to express condolances. The funeral itself is for those grieving who loved the person and need the spiritual comfort of the funeral service.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,170 times
Quote:

I think you or the Mrs. should make a casserole, sign a sympathy card together, and bring them over to their house together in person with your condolences. That's your part.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,951 times
The wake is really for those who knew the person and/or the family. Since you did not know the neighbor well you are not expected to attend the funeral.

It would be nice to contact the family. You could drop a card and maybe a basket of fruit to the house. Or you may want to stop by the funeral home during "vistation" when the family will be there. (check with the funeral home for the time) Give the family your name and phone number and tell them they are welcome to contact you.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I would say the wake. It is more casual and the family members visit with those people who have come.

They will more than likely see that you cared enough to come and visit with them while at a funeral sometimes everything is a blur.

I know I have no idea of all the different people who came to my parents funeral.

Let them know that if there is anything you can do (if you can) to let them know.

I would present them with a card and maybe bring some food over to their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.