Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,145 times

Advertisements

Good thread. Was wondering the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I've been using GrubHub for a while now. I have some favorite places. It's very convenient, but I am careful to read the reviews before I order from a new place.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:02 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Before Grubhub, etc. we used to order Jimmy John’s very frequently from our downtown office because it was the only place that delivered besides pizza. Now we have dozens of restaurant choices that deliver between UberEats, Grubhub, Eat24, ClusterTruck, and other delivery services.

Some of the more popular restaurants have a $12.99 delivery fee but that isn’t much when you split between several people.

Working downtown, it is difficult to just run out and pick up lunch. We park on the 3rd floor of a parking garage so you have to exit and re-enter, and finding a place to park near downtown restaurants is a challenge, and you have to pay to park.

When we can spare the time we walk and get lunch but when we can’t get away we order delivery.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:03 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Kinda of depends on the number of drives that want to or are doing this. I tried it once but no driver picked up my request?

Unless its a store delivery option with store delivery employees you are sort of at the mercy of whether drivers are out and about and available.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
We do this all the time. We use three apps... DoorDash, Uber Eats, Amazon Prime Food.

It usually takes about 45 minutes, the food is still hot. We make sure whatever we order is from a somewhat local (in the geographic sense) restaurant. Houston is a big city.

It's not cheap, but it is convenient. A typical order for two at a walk-in casual place might be $35. With Uber or DoorDash, it will end up being $45. Fees, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
a delivery service for restaurants....never heard of such a thing...
They may not exist where you are. But in every large urban area, they are like roaches, scurrying food all over town.

Whoops, bad analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Kinda of depends on the number of drives that want to or are doing this. I tried it once but no driver picked up my request?

Unless its a store delivery option with store delivery employees you are sort of at the mercy of whether drivers are out and about and available.
Hmm, not sure what exactly you are referring to, but this problem doesn't exist with the big name food delivery services. They always, always perform. We do this once or twice a week, for years, and have *never* had a problem. They always have drivers, and always do their job.

We split our business equally between the three I listed above, and all three perform equally well.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:25 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Don’t store your credit card information in your account.. enter it every time. These companies don’t care if it’s “you” they are delivering to.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:03 AM

371 posts, read 1,211,545 times
I used to order a few times per month from Grubhub- it was nice to be able to order from other restaurants rather than just having pizza and Chinese places as the only option for delivery. However, I ended up just having too many issues:
-On numerous occasions, the food took WAY longer than they said- as in, I would be told 45 minutes and it would take 2.5 hours to get here.
-Special requests were almost always ignored- like if I asked for ketchup or a side of ranch or something.
-Once, half of my order was missing. Customer service was a PITA and they refunded me a tiny amount- less than what the food that was missing cost.
-The last straw was when I ordered dinner and they kept pushing back the delivery time. Finally, 3 hours later they sent me an email saying that my food couldn't be delivered.

It was great when it worked as expected, but there were just too many issues to continue using it. Some restaurants have their own online systems where you can order directly through the restaurant, and if I'm craving something different I just do that and pick it up myself so I know that I'll get the food in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:06 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
In our small town the only restaurant available on Grubhub is an Indian restaurant that already had their own delivery service. On the other hand, I had a pizza delivered just last night.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:48 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Don’t store your credit card information in your account.. enter it every time. These companies don’t care if it’s “you” they are delivering to.

I have my credit cards set up to text me every time there is a charge. Easy way to prevent fraud, or at least detect it quickly.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:00 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

I have my credit cards set up to text me every time there is a charge. Easy way to prevent fraud, or at least detect it quickly.
The company’s lack of interest in the theft and the fact that they tried to insist I had been ordering all that food in Florida should give people pause about using their service.

I should indeed have caught on to the theft before a week and $600 had passed, but the company should also care about fraud. The thief started ordering food for all of their friends, (coincidentally all sharing my name ), all over 2-3 cities in Florida. A huge company like Eat24 should be able to recognize a clear pattern like that as a fraud indicator, if not with automatic algorithms, at least when it is pointed out to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink