Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:19 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from MA where steak tips were common and available at any grocery store.

Here in NC, not so much - if you're lucky you'll find them marinated at a butcher shop for 20 bucks a pound.

I'm just wondering what cut of meat steak tips actually is, so I can try asking the butcher at the grocery store. Googling told me "bottom sirloin flap", but I have a feeling if I ask a grocery store butcher for that they're going to look at me like I have five heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 07:58 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Sirloin tips will do it.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:01 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
yes its bottom sirloin flap meat 100%

I go to a few accounts/stores and marinated beef tips from flap meat is the number one seller..

not in maine but....around ma. like you said

im a butcher... meat supervisor for 35 yrs and thats what its called bottom sirloin flap meat..

look up picture in google of the whole piece..... so if they dont have it.....they wont try to sell you a skirt steak, Coulotte , hanger steak, these are all different muscles..

go ask the butcher..... call and ask a few stores

not to be confusing....but if you aren't sure where the sirloin tips come from ...ask.....because sirloin tips is a generic description can come from anyplace in the sirloin but also a knuckle...wrongly called sirloin tip for 50 yrs....its dry and tough ..

you will see sirloin tip steaks...….and see these little round lean steaks these come from the round...not the loin..

Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 AM

Went to the grocery store this weekend and asked the butcher for sirloin tips per the above suggestion. At first he pointed me towards diced stew meat - when I said that's not it, he pointed me to a sirloin tip roast. He then cut it into strips for me cause that's what I was used to, and I went home and marinated it. Needless to say it was disappointing Pretty sure if I asked for bottom sirloin flap meat he would have looked at me like I was nuts.

I'll have to see if I can find a real butcher that isn't so expensive.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:46 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
If you can print out my reply hand it
To them

Or bring in a printed out pic of flap meat

Ask if they have flap meat first

If they are confused. Go somewhere else

Try a butcher shop

Or pm me with your location - I’m on 5 Facebook butcher forums
With thousands of butchers on there
I can ask if anyone is near you

Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Went to the grocery store this weekend and asked the butcher for sirloin tips per the above suggestion. At first he pointed me towards diced stew meat - when I said that's not it, he pointed me to a sirloin tip roast. He then cut it into strips for me cause that's what I was used to, and I went home and marinated it. Needless to say it was disappointing Pretty sure if I asked for bottom sirloin flap meat he would have looked at me like I was nuts.

I'll have to see if I can find a real butcher that isn't so expensive.
Which chain did this happen at?

Old 09-04-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
If you can print out my reply hand it
To them

Or bring in a printed out pic of flap meat

Ask if they have flap meat first

If they are confused. Go somewhere else

Try a butcher shop

Or pm me with your location - I’m on 5 Facebook butcher forums
With thousands of butchers on there
I can ask if anyone is near you
Thanks - I'll give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Which chain?
Harris Teeter

Old 09-04-2018, 01:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Thanks - I'll give that a try.

Harris Teeter
I have no experience with Harris Teeter. For what they charge, I'd expect better. If you have a Publix nearby, try them. If you have them pointing at stew meat I would give up on them.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I have no experience with Harris Teeter. For what they charge, I'd expect better. If you have a Publix nearby, try them. If you have them pointing at stew meat I would give up on them.
Lol yeah that's kind of how I felt about it also. We do have Publix - I'll give them a try.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:45 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Steak tips are that part of the steak that won't fit in the styrofoam tray. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink