Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Who is Gork? I have never "vacuum-down" any amount of food. Who does that? Why?
I believe the poster was naming an unnamed cave man era person. They gorged when they could because they never knew when the opportunity would come again.

I'm with jamary1-the cheese could sit forever. The ice cream wouldn't make as long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 03:57 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Wheee!!

We just got Trader Joe's here. Such exquisite timing.

Does it count as gluttony if I eat it in 10 tiny portions over a day or two, instead of all at once?

Old 11-15-2018, 04:04 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just ate an entire Trader Joes Brie en croute all by myself. 1620 calories. It only comes out at the holidays.

Do you ever find yourself doing something like this?

What say you?
Only 1620 calories?

Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we all have our moments...I hold the family record for lobster.. 14 of them at a family reunion... and a pound of butter

Old 11-15-2018, 05:04 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
When it comes to steamed crabs, crawfish or raw oysters, I can get down with the best of them, as long as there is plenty of ice cold beer.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:19 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Wheee!!

We just got Trader Joe's here. Such exquisite timing.

Does it count as gluttony if I eat it in 10 tiny portions over a day or two, instead of all at once?
No, and that's exactly how I like to enjoy guilty treats.

Economists have a principle called "diminishing returns". Applied to food, it works this way: the first bite of something you love tastes wonderful. The second does, too, but not quite as good. By the time you finish off the bag/box/carton, that last bite isn't all that satisfying and may even make you uncomfortable. At the very least, eating becomes almost mechanical. I go for small servings of things that I love but which are bad for me.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:41 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
When it comes to steamed crabs, crawfish or raw oysters, I can get down with the best of them, as long as there is plenty of ice cold beer.
Hah exactly! I'm thin and rarely finish my plate, but put me in front of crawfish or crabs and I can eat them until my fingers hurt from combination of extended period of moisture, small cuts, and spices.

I figure it's a win because I might be burning more calories opening 'em up than I get from them, depending on what type of butter they have.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:57 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Hah exactly! I'm thin and rarely finish my plate, but put me in front of crawfish or crabs and I can eat them until my fingers hurt from combination of extended period of moisture, small cuts, and spices.

I figure it's a win because I might be burning more calories opening 'em up than I get from them, depending on what type of butter they have.
No butter for me, just the beer.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:20 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just ate an entire Trader Joes Brie en croute all by myself. 1620 calories. It only comes out at the holidays.

Do you ever find yourself doing something like this?

What say you?
Brie en croute is one of my favorite things. I have one friend who almost every time we get together, we make it. I've never had Trader Joe's version because there isn't a Trader Joe's near where I live. However, there is one not too far south of me and I'm going to be there the week after Thanksgiving, so I will make a point of going there and getting some.

So glad you started this thread!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Who is Gork? I have never "vacuum-down" any amount of food. Who does that? Why?
I am assuming Tikyul is referring to our caveman ancestors. You killed a mastodon, you ate copiously before it rotted because it could be a very long time before you killed another one and you had to build up some fat. It's not like there was a McMastodon or a MammothMart on every corner when you ran out of food. It was feast or famine, with a lot more famine than feast.

As for "who does that" when it comes to "vacuuming down" food? Apparently one heck of a lot of people do. Have you been to a Walmart lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink