Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:28 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,695,193 times

Advertisements

I am from Spain, clearly the European country were more fish is eaten, above all where I live, in the North-Western part. The second biggest fishing port after the Tokyo one is roughly 30 miles from where I live. I've been to several European nations and it was very difficult to find fish in the supermarket, especially fresh; most of the fish was smoked, dry or frozen. Also, when I was in the USA fish was virtually non-existant in most of the supermarkets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,564,587 times
We eat a lot of haddock and halibut.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,831,697 times
We eat Salmon at least once a week and Haddock or Tilapia at least once a month.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,646,232 times
I'm French ( Breton) so fish is a big part of my diet and a great love of mine. I will eat fish and seafood as much as I can though it is hard to find decent and affordable fish and seafood in England.

I am surprised at what you say about European countries, as far as I know Portugal, France and Italy are huge consumers of fresh food and seafood and it is widely available all over the place. All French supermarkets have huge fish counters with live seafood in tanks too.

Germany, Austria and Eastern Europe are also big consumers of fish but mostly river fish such as carp and trout and of course smoking is far more prevalent there and in Scandinavia for obvious reasons.

I could live on fish and seafood myself, but it is very expensive so it tends to be a treat for a lot of people.

Scotland has some of the best fish and seafood anywhere in the world but because they don't eat it , it ends up in France, and Spain where it is appreciated.
The Brits only seem to like their fish deep-fired with chips which I personally find a good waste of good fish.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
I eat fish very regularly, at least twice a week.
Mostly salmon (and local shrimp, but of course that is shellfish.)
Even when I lived in Colorado, I would eat salmon fresh when I could get it, or more often, trout.
I can't speak for Europe at all, but I think that up until recently, a lot of Americans haven't much cared for fish. However, I do think this is changing.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,762,429 times
Being a pescetarian, fish is the only animal flesh that I eat. I have it perhaps once every week; other than that, I eat vegetarian food. When I do eat fish, it's in the form of sashimi or sushi, because I really don't care for the "fishy" odor and flavor of most cooked fish. The flavor of raw fish is much better in my opinion, and my house doesn't smell like cooked fish

Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 AM

48,198 posts, read 22,033,450 times
My DP is Japanese; we eat a lot of fish! But I have been really dismayed at the lack of fresh high quality fish in southern California. I was used to cold water fish readily available in the North East. I am looking forward to returning to New England and to really good fish and shell fish! (We usually spend time in Japan each year and that is where we satisfy our love for sashimi and sushi!)

Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,845,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post

Being a pescetarian, fish is the only animal flesh that I eat.
Same here. It's only been the couple of years or so that we started eating fish again. For the last 40 years or so we ate no flesh at all.

I like to go down to the dock and get the fish fresh off the boats, or go over to the oyster farm and get oysters right out of the bay. My very favorite way to get seafood is sit on the dock in my folding chair with my fishing rod and crab trap.

Before we became vegetarians we used to dig clams and gather cockles, but that's kind of a strenuous activity for me these days.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,762,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Same here. It's only been the couple of years or so that we started eating fish again. For the last 40 years or so we ate no flesh at all.

I like to go down to the dock and get the fish fresh off the boats, or go over to the oyster farm and get oysters right out of the bay. My very favorite way to get seafood is sit on the dock in my folding chair with my fishing rod and crab trap.

Before we became vegetarians we used to dig clams and gather cockles, but that's kind of a strenuous activity for me these days.
I've been a vegetarian or pescetarian off and on most of my life. There was a span of about a decade where I would occasionally eat red meat, but that was when I was married to the son of a dairy farmer, so he "had to have it". It's not that I don't like red meat, I do. It's very yummy. I have nothing against eating meat or wearing leather or anything like that. I just find that I feel so good when I don't eat it. Plus...I love sushi so much that I had no wish to give it up, and certain fish are extremely healthful eating...

Last edited by RoaminRed; 02-01-2008 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Ewww...typo!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,023,353 times
I used to eat fish a few times a month - not too much now. When I do, I eat salmon or red snapper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink