Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:09 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

Millions of people in the U.S eat avocados every day without washing them first. So where is the listeria epidemic?

Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Millions of people in the U.S eat avocados every day without washing them first. So where is the listeria epidemic?
so agree. I don't think it is a big deal to quickly rinse off all fruits and veggies but I also think way to much is being made of all this and of many possible health concerns related to foods and food preps.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:14 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
You really don't understand how science and statistics work, do you?

Millions of people don't get the flu each year, why get flu shots?

Millions of people didn't die from lung cancer, why stop smoking?

Millions of people didn't die from auto accidents, why wear seat belts?

Millions of bike riders don't have accidents ever, why wear helmets?

And on and on.

Oh, just thought of one that struck close to home (I live in the hometown of Blue Bell Ice Cream), millions of people didn't get Listeria from Blue Bell, why do anything?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You really don't understand how science and statistics work, do you?

Millions of people don't get the flu each year, why get flu shots?

Millions of people didn't die from lung cancer, why stop smoking?

Millions of people didn't die from auto accidents, why wear seat belts?

Millions of bike riders don't have accidents ever, why wear helmets?

And on and on.

Oh, just thought of one that struck close to home (I live in the hometown of Blue Bell Ice Cream), millions of people didn't get Listeria from Blue Bell, why do anything?
Can you show me a few cases of listeria in the general population proven to be caused by avocados? All the examples you show are clear and cut cases of where something has specifically been proven to cause deaths among the general population. I'm not aware of anyone eating unwashed avocados having food poisoning, but I'm willing to see if any exists.
Certainly with millions of unwashed avocados eaten every day there would be occasional outbreaks of listeria and salmonella poisoning linked to avocados if this is an issue, much like similar episodes with lettuce and other produce.

Last edited by marino760; 12-27-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 01:10 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Can you show me a few cases of listeria in the general population proven to be caused by avocados?
Here is the FDA study, where they found Listeria on the skin of approx 1 in 6 avocados. Remember that most of the population is resistant to Listeria; the disease primarily affects pregnant women, newborns, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems. It's like oysters--while 90% of the population can eat them without issue, there is a significant minority that should NOT eat them, due to their lowered resistance to infection from the bacteria found in almost all oysters (Vibrio).

So with avocados, first it has to have the Listeria germ (17%). Then you have to be susceptible, who knows, maybe 10%. So now we're down to a percentage point or two. Reduce further by the target group maybe not being big guac eaters . Plus places that DO wash their avos. It's probably a very small group of people affected.

What the FDA is trying to do is be pro-active. If one simple step can save a few thousand people from getting ill, why not?

PS: This is all my rambling. I'm sure a scientist could put together a better defense. But I'm sure as hell not depending on anecdotal evidence ("well, I don't know anybody who ever got sick from 'em") leading me thru life. Most people who didn't wear a helmet and then had head trauma from a motorcycle accident wish they did. Hindsight is magic.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/ComplianceE.../ucm619834.htm

Old 12-27-2018, 10:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
There's a good reason in many ethnic cuisines that on every table especially with fruits and vegs there are lemon juice sprinkled on the food or vinegar. Kimchi and other pickled vegs have vinegar and enzymes that kill germs. Wasabi, mustards, and even fresh hot peppers also can kill germs. Which is why you see those condiments served with ethnic foods. My mother has a habit of eating pickled garlic with meat dishes which has very high antiseptic properties.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,788,855 times
I have never washed an avocado. More than likely won't start now.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Here is the FDA study, where they found Listeria on the skin of approx 1 in 6 avocados. Remember that most of the population is resistant to Listeria; the disease primarily affects pregnant women, newborns, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems. It's like oysters--while 90% of the population can eat them without issue, there is a significant minority that should NOT eat them, due to their lowered resistance to infection from the bacteria found in almost all oysters (Vibrio).

So with avocados, first it has to have the Listeria germ (17%). Then you have to be susceptible, who knows, maybe 10%. So now we're down to a percentage point or two. Reduce further by the target group maybe not being big guac eaters . Plus places that DO wash their avos. It's probably a very small group of people affected.

What the FDA is trying to do is be pro-active. If one simple step can save a few thousand people from getting ill, why not?

PS: This is all my rambling. I'm sure a scientist could put together a better defense. But I'm sure as hell not depending on anecdotal evidence ("well, I don't know anybody who ever got sick from 'em") leading me thru life. Most people who didn't wear a helmet and then had head trauma from a motorcycle accident wish they did. Hindsight is magic.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/ComplianceE.../ucm619834.htm
So no, you can't find a single case in this country of anyone getting listeria or salmonella or food poisoning from avocados even though millions of avocados are eaten everyday without washing the skin. Ok then, that's what I needed to know.

Last edited by marino760; 12-28-2018 at 04:49 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I have never washed an avocado. More than likely won't start now.
As I mentioned the other day, I did find myself wiping off the skin with a little water and a paper towel, but I am still not sure why I bothered. I grew up in So. CA where we had avocados everywhere. It was almost a daily basic food and never did anyone I know wash them. This goes with many things. If I have lived over 80 years without worrying about this or that disease I think I am safe to continue not worrying.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
So no, you can't find a single case in this country of anyone getting listeria or salmonella or food poisoning from avocados even though millions of avocados are eaten everyday without washing the skin. Ok then, that's what I needed to know.
Let's face it; people often don't realize our eating habit and sanitation habits are a bit different than say, third world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink