Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 06:20 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times

Advertisements

Is anyone going to or having a New Year's eve party? Tomorrow is my birthday, so my husband always has a party for me although in the past couple of years we've made it a New Year's party rather than a birthday specific party. That way he doesn't feel bad if I want to help put it on, and also my kids won't feel obligated to be at the parent's party

This year, my college student kids told me they wanted to be home for my birthday and I am so excited! We've got about 25 people coming and our heavy appetizer menu is:

Prime rib sliders - we'll do a standing rib roast, slider rolls, red onion marmalade (It's simmering away right now), sharp white cheddar, gruyere.
Potato flan - we cut it into petit four size squares to serve
Hogs in a blanket - andouille sausage and puff pasty with mango chutney (just finished making the chutney)
Bacon wrapped dates
Spinach, hearts of palm and artichoke dip and a variety of crackers
Veggies and roasted red pepper hummus
Crostini with ricotta and roasted grapes
Crostini with mushroom bruschetta

Tiramisu (hubby just finished making the ladyfingers).

We'll have the expected selection of beverages - sparkling water, wine, champagne

So, dear CD friends...what are you doing for New Years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM

323 posts, read 219,334 times
Wow sounds great! We're just going to take it easy here. Just got out of the hospital, lots of issues so we're happy to take it easy. But I look forward to reading the responses here

Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
No party for us. We are going out to see a show with the local symphony. Hang out downtown if it isn't too cold, be home by midnight.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:49 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
For the last four years, we have done a New Year's Eve Open House. It's mostly people from our neighborhood. Our house is only 2,000 square feet, with 2 bedrooms and an office, but we still manage to fit about 60 people in here. The office becomes the bar. People gather at the kitchen island, kitchen table and living room - which is one big open area. The wine bar is also in that area, and we use the top of it for food, with a card table nearby for plates, napkins, etc. Occasionally, some people will sit at the dining room table, but that's in a separated room, so it usually remains empty.

All finger food. Due to popular demand, I make my guacamole each year, and we buy the wine, beer, soda and water. Many folks do bring wine (Yeah! Leftovers for us!), but most guests bring the snacks and deserts. (I encourage them not to bring anything that requires knives, forks or spoons. But we have plastic if necessary.) We're in a multi-ethnic neighborhood, and The variety of food that turns up is astounding.

From 6pm to 10pm - early so that people who want to go to another party, or dinner, or the NYE dance at the Country Club can do both. And we end it early because we're all old farts in this neighborhood and can't stay up until midnight anymore!

New Year's Day? Prime rib. Just the two of us 'cause I'm not sharing.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:24 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Thumbs up Happy Birthday, CdA! Great menu! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Is anyone going to or having a New Year's eve party? Tomorrow is my birthday, so my husband always has a party for me although in the past couple of years we've made it a New Year's party rather than a birthday specific party. That way he doesn't feel bad if I want to help put it on, and also my kids won't feel obligated to be at the parent's party

This year, my college student kids told me they wanted to be home for my birthday and I am so excited! We've got about 25 people coming and our heavy appetizer menu is:

Prime rib sliders - we'll do a standing rib roast, slider rolls, red onion marmalade (It's simmering away right now), sharp white cheddar, gruyere.
Hogs in a blanket - andouille sausage and puff pasty with mango chutney (just finished making the chutney)
Bacon wrapped dates

We'll have the expected selection of beverages - sparkling water, wine, champagne

Dear CDA,

Your party menu sounds delicious! Feel free to post pictures!!You have a great hubby that
can make ladyfingers & knows his way around the kitchen, way to go, CdA!!YAY!!

Wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY & many Blessings for the coming year!

Have an amazing time celebrating YOUR DAY & the last day of the year!!

Thanks for the amazing contributions, recipes & kindness that you share on this forum

CHEERS & BLESSINGS going your way!

Please watch the video with your youngest child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTVufaGeXms

Happy New Year 2019 as well!

Old 12-30-2018, 11:47 PM
C7C

101 posts, read 101,761 times
Possibilities!

Old 12-31-2018, 04:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post

Bacon wrapped dates

HAPPY BIRTHDAY; HAVE A FUN EVENING. We are just watching TV: too old for parties but we certainly had plenty years ago: I think we partied enough and drank enough from the time we were in our early 20s until our early 50s to make up for the last 30 years of just having a pretty quiet time. We did used to go to our daughters and celebrate with she and her family, playing board games and making it til midnight. Even those days are gone. Her kids, grown don;t even do anything exciting anymore.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:45 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
Cdarocks, congratulations!
my sister was our city's New Year's Baby back in the day.

1. she calls the shots for her shindig (ancient reference).
2. this time, it is all about what we did for the 2018 Eclipse.
3. Barbeque, Bloody Marys, and Sunglasses.

and, in our part of the world, Barbeque is a NOUN.
pig, or pork, with a vinegar-based sauce,
and nothing other than that is accepted.
someone tried something else.
ONCE.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:31 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
We haven't done anything in years. When my nieces and nephews were small we used to go by my BIL house for appetizers and drinks. Now everyone is college age and do their own thing. My knee is still not 100% so we laid low and I made shrimp cocktail, spinach dip, onion dip and we had carrot sticks, potato chips and pita chips. I was asleep by 10:30 LOL

Old 01-01-2019, 09:28 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
Our party was great! Friends bought even more delicious food to add to what we made. Everyone stayed until at least midnight and the last guests left at 1:30 a.m. This is noteable because a few years ago we had a party where everyone left by 10 pm, it was crazy!!! We realized we just invited the WRONG mix of people - we fixed that quickly (yes, we still invite those friends! We love them). And last night was so warm we were able to use our outside spaces to spread out. It was lovely!

Actually, not true...one of my daughter's friends stayed over apparently. So, the last guest is still here haha.

One of our guests is hosting a Sugar Bowl party this evening, so we'll be headed there after hopefully a day of doing NOTHING. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink