Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:34 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had/used this cured, smoked, hog jowl product? We could never find this locally, so we bought some hog jowl to make guanciale (pancetta's much better cousin). Long story short, we found some guanciale locally and needed to use up the jowl. Speck was our choice. The first thing we used it for was Kasespatzle, kind of a German mac & cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:04 AM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times
When growing up in Bavaria/Germany Speck was used a lot in the meals my mother used to cook.
She used it in potato soups,vegetable soups/stews,bean and lentil soups,in Sauerkraut/red cabbage,in dumplings or in the morning with eggs.

Myself I no longer use Speck.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:04 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,013,863 times
Typical recipe in Northern Germany: Pears,beans,speck and potatoes

More speck recipes:

https://www.chefkoch.de/rs/s0/speck/Rezepte.html

Old 03-04-2019, 06:07 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Speck does not belong in Kaesespaetzle.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Your opinion, there are actual German recipes that use it, and don't knock it until you've tried it!

Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Quote:
Your opinion, we liked the dish.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:34 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,013,863 times
Käsespätzle with Speck

Peel, quarter and slice the onions. Wash the chives and cut into fine rolls.
Heat the clarified butter in a pan. Fry the onions and bacon cubes until golden brown, remove from the pan, set aside and turn off the heat. Leave the fat in the pan.

Mix flour, eggs, oil, salt and water as required with the mixer (dough hook) until a smooth, tough dough is obtained. It should not be too thin.
Bring approx. 2 litres of salted water to the boil in a saucepan. Fill a spaetzle press with dough and pour into boiling water. After each filling, remove the spaetzle floating on top with a slotted spoon, pour into the pan and cover with one part each of bacon and onion mixture, cheese and chives. Finally, mix everything together and leave to stand at a low temperature until the cheese has melted completely.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Question for native English speakers: How good is the translation?

Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 AM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times
Quote:
Mother used to make Schwäbische Käsespätzle,but whenever I visited my uncle and aunt in the Allgäu my aunt used to serve Käsespätzle with Emmentaler and Speck.With it I had a big glass of Radlermaß.I still see it served at ski resorts in the Alps.
When I get a chance to eat Käsespätzle when going back to my homeland I prefer them with the traditional Bergkäse, Allgäuer Emmentaler (or Romadur and Weisslacker cheese) and lots of roasted onions.
Come to think about this delicious meal we had usually on a meatless Friday or in summer served with a big garden salad.
Now I am drooling................

Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
Käsespätzle with Speck

Peel, quarter and slice the onions. Wash the chives and cut into fine rolls.
Heat the clarified butter in a pan. Fry the onions and bacon cubes until golden brown, remove from the pan, set aside and turn off the heat. Leave the fat in the pan.

Mix flour, eggs, oil, salt and water as required with the mixer (dough hook) until a smooth, tough dough is obtained. It should not be too thin.
Bring approx. 2 litres of salted water to the boil in a saucepan. Fill a spaetzle press with dough and pour into boiling water. After each filling, remove the spaetzle floating on top with a slotted spoon, pour into the pan and cover with one part each of bacon and onion mixture, cheese and chives. Finally, mix everything together and leave to stand at a low temperature until the cheese has melted completely.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Question for native English speakers: How good is the translation?
Pretty good. I'd use stiff rather than tough for the spatzle, and finely chop for the chives plus 1 or 2 other similar type changes, but it's perfectly understandable as is.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Now I am drooling................
Tell me about it. This thread is making me want to dig the speck out of the freezer and go buy some cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink