Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 05:57 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,124 times

Advertisements

It seems years pizzas tasted better years ago or is it just me? Maybe my taste have changed over the years but maybe pizza places are using cheaper ingredients. But then there would be some that wouldn't use cheaper ingredients also. So maybe it's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 06:13 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Only if they contained more salt, sugar and fat. Everything tastes better with more salt, sugar and fat.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Nope, good pizza still tastes good (just made one 3 days ago), bad pizza still tastes bad. Might be that if you used to eat cheap pizza, and have started eating better quality food since that diet of cheap pizza, then your tastes have changed. I've noticed this since making most of my meals at home, I simply can't eat out and be happy anymore.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:40 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I assume we're talking eat out pizzas like Pizza Hut and not just pizza in general. I would say yes, they big name national pizza used to taste better. Cheese was better and actually made those wonderful strings when you raised a piece. Now they all taste like garbage and actually give me indigestion when I have one. Used to love Shakey's and Godfathers from the big chains but as far as I know they are all gone now. Unfortunately where I live we don't have a real home made pizza place around so it's been years since I've tasted a quality pizza. In some ways I think delivery killed pizza. Pizza takes time and you can't have 30 minutes or it's free with cutting a lot of corners.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:46 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
We have a real home made pizza place near us and I notice it's not overwhelmed with cheap cheese. It has a reasonable amount of decent cheese and a nice crust and a fresh sauce in kind of equal amounts.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:50 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Now they all taste like garbage and actually give me indigestion when I have one. Used to love Shakey's and Godfathers from the big chains but as far as I know they are all gone now.
Godfather's is still around. There aren't as many as there used to be in some places but they do still exist.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:57 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
All food tastes different to me now, and it is because of the many diverse dietary problems people now seem to have. I always say "no salt, no sugar, low fat, no taste." My co-worker and I were talking about it years ago, we are both "old school", wondering if our taste buds had changed as we had gotten older or if the food had changed, and then I actually read an article that food makers have changed their recipes to accommodate the new criteria for the new generation, and it actually gave 110, YES, 110, well-known recipes that were changed over this new way of making food demanded by the masses.

I found doing a search: http://frugalsos.com/food/brand-prod...anged-recipes/

Old 03-04-2019, 08:33 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
To me, "used to be" predates any chain. I had my first "pizza pie" in Milwaukee in about 1953, five years before the first Pizza Hut. It was in a square pan, I think with a rather thin crust, I recall with more spicy dark sauce and less cheese.

I would say not as good as now, but I think they were best in the early 60s. Around $1.50. In 1963, there was a lady in Montreal who made them in her kitchen and sol them out her living room door, they were the best. The best I've had in recent years were in little towns on the Ohio River.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-04-2019 at 08:56 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 08:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Pizza in the Olympia area is the worst I’ve had. A few months ago, after trying yet another local pizza, I said never again. I didn’t expect to find New York pizza here, but this crap is not even close. A frozen pizza does taste better.

Getting a quality pizza depends on the area, using quality ingredients and how the staff is trained, but this stuff is sub standard. Guess there is no one from New York or Jersey up here who decided to open a shop.

Oh well, there is always Red Barron.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
IMO wheat itself has been industrialized similar to the way most produce has. Industrialization results in a mediocre product so it can be supplied nationally in the cheapest way possible. I'm sure the flour milled back in the day tasted very different than it does today. I'm 64 yo. There is good pizza to be found for sure. It's just the percentage of pizza shops serving a decent product has diminished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink