Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:00 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times

Advertisements

Around 20 years ago, this meat was highly touted over the radio and there were posters in the grocery stores alleging its superiority over "beef." I don't hear or see much about it these days.

Are the animals "free range" or treated as domestic cattle by the providers?

For those who have sampled it, what's your opinion vis-a-vis "beef."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
I grew up eating the stuff (4 decades ago) in Wyoming ~ or rather had my few experiences with the stuff starting back then. It's Exceptionally lean, and thus very tough/bland on its own. To the best of my knowledge, 100% of bison you can buy is raised in the same way, and usually directly along side, cattle. Actually, to that point, most have been cross-bred with cattle with the only "pure" stock being a small wild herd somewhere in Utah (stretching the memory here).

It's a gimic meat that most people eat once just to say they did. It gained favor through the whole "low fat" movement, back when people thought that Eating fat caused you to gain fat. No fat though, means no real flavor. You can Add flavor, but that's just introducing some other kind of fat (pork being the most common).

Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I had bison meat at one of Ted Turner’s restaurant in Colorado, it was delicious. I think you have to know how to cook it.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:09 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,665 times
I'm a huge fan of a good grilled bison burger.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:25 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I grew up eating the stuff (4 decades ago) in Wyoming ~ or rather had my few experiences with the stuff starting back then. It's Exceptionally lean, and thus very tough/bland on its own. To the best of my knowledge, 100% of bison you can buy is raised in the same way, and usually directly along side, cattle. Actually, to that point, most have been cross-bred with cattle with the only "pure" stock being a small wild herd somewhere in Utah (stretching the memory here).

It's a gimic meat that most people eat once just to say they did. It gained favor through the whole "low fat" movement, back when people thought that Eating fat caused you to gain fat. No fat though, means no real flavor. You can Add flavor, but that's just introducing some other kind of fat (pork being the most common).
I agree with the fat=flavor thing but in the case of Bison, that doesn't seem to apply at least in my experience. Even though it is lean(er) than beef it is not tough nor does it lack flavor. I've had steaks, burgers etc. I used to buy my Bison out of Wyoming/Montana as well, back in the day (80's) and have it shipped to me. The prices were still reasonable before the whole craze started.

As far as the bison being pure, it is true that most have been contaminated BUT that is only speaking from a DNA standpoint. They may have a "trace" of cattle DNA but are mostly Bison.

Quote:
"The bison today that carry cattle DNA look exactly like bison, function exactly like bison and in fact are bison. For conservation groups, the interest is that they are not totally pure."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beefalo

Last edited by gguerra; 03-14-2019 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I had bison meat at one of Ted Turner’s restaurant in Colorado, it was delicious. I think you have to know how to cook it.
Yup. Ted's Montana Grill. (There are locations in Connecticut. That's where I used to live.) Delicious. But I could never get it anywhere the same when I cooked it at home. I was telling that to one of the servers when I was there. He leaned in. Whispered. "It's the butter. There's a lot of butter involved."

Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Bison is readily available in my local grocery stores in Colorado. We buy it ground regularly for burgers and pick up strip in the summer to put on the grill. I enjoy the flavor, it's different than beef but that's what I expect.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
we sell bison up here in most of the stores - in the summer we can sell more than bison burger......some steaks...but they are expensive..

Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Had bison meat in WY and in Europe. Not ground but prepared as a roast and steak. Friend gets filet mignon from Omaha and shares with me.
Delicious!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:25 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
We had bison burgers not long ago. Yes a bit drier but tasty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink