Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:11 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I used to shop at a major grocery store about 25 south of Seattle. The deli section was awesome, heaping platters of potato salads, coleslaw, pasta salad, harvest salad, Thai noodle salad. Platters of meatloaf, turkey breast, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes. The works.

I’ve been traveling in the southwest, and all that is gone. Walmart? Forget a nice deli section. Albertsons here has soups, fried foods, but no fresh salads.

What gives? Does your store have a good deli section? Interested in hearing about H-E-B grocery stores especially.
Well, it depends on the Walmart...But since you asked. I find that Winco is doing a pretty fair job, they have about 6-8 different salads ready to go. But if you're adventurous, try those Anoush types. My God, the bologna is preservative free, no fillers and cost $8-$9 a lb.... I'm planning on hitting an Asian market in Oregon (After Church Sat) and try their deli...It's an old Safeway, but from the workers telling me THAT is a great place for the noodles, but also deli...I just gotta try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 11:31 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
The deli has been a bad experience after going from the flagship Fry’s in Scottsdale to the Fred Meyer stores around Olympia. Kroger owns both stores, but the difference is extreme. Fry’s had an amazing deli with many different items, entree’s, sides, assorted salads, deserts. Fred Meyer’s deli has fried chicken, subs and a small, repetitive selection of sides. A deli meal is good for those busy nights, but you can only eat so much of the same stuff.

Last edited by Taz22; 08-06-2019 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 11:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
We have Hy-Vee, a Midwest employee-owned supermarket chain, and their salad bar, deli, and hot bar are pretty good. They have a sort of dine-in food court in this area.

They had a foray for a few years into a concept called "Market Grill," where they shifted from food court to installing sit-down, fast-casual style restaurants, complete with a bar. It was a little odd for there to be a dine - in, Applebee's-ish restaurant and bar in your supermarket, but it was intriguing. They've pulled back on most of them, though, because though the food was pretty good, the service was dubious. I don't know why they didn't hire better staff. But you'd wait forever to get waited on, longer to get your food, etc. They apparently decided to stick with what they know.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
How does Safeway compare with what you are looking for? Fred Meyer's deli is better than Safeway. I'm sure any populated area has a real deli, like Rose's in Portland.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
We have a nice deli section in the Walmart Neighborhood Market near us, in the Phoenix area. Fry's also has a great deli.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
That is a thing I immediately missed after moving to SW Washington. Dierbergs in St. Louis has a great deli section. We actually bought real barbeque there , as well as the expected other ready to eat things.
Yes, Dierbergs has a great deli with a good variety of options.

They also have a good bakery. I was in Florida a few weeks ago, and was supposed to bring dessert to a family get together. I figured I would stop by Publix and pick up a few varieties of pie. It ends up they only had one type of pie, apple pie. Any other type of pie needed to be preordered. It never crossed my mind that other grocery stores wouldn't have a dozen or so pie flavors available to purchase at anytime, especially since people always go on about how amazing Publix is.

I also thought a decent deli selection would be standard in most grocery stores too, especially the big chain stores.

Quote:
I haven’t visited a Trader Joe’s in a long time. Don’t they have a good deli section?
No, Trader Joes does not have a deli.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, Dierbergs has a great deli with a good variety of options.

They also have a good bakery. I was in Florida a few weeks ago, and was supposed to bring dessert to a family get together. I figured I would stop by Publix and pick up a few varieties of pie. It ends up they only had one type of pie, apple pie. Any other type of pie needed to be preordered. It never crossed my mind that other grocery stores wouldn't have a dozen or so pie flavors available to purchase at anytime, especially since people always go on about how amazing Publix is.

I also thought a decent deli selection would be standard in most grocery stores too, especially the big chain stores.

No, Trader Joes does not have a deli.
what???? the beloved trader joes has NO deli?????
say it aint so!! women seem to love this place...and they have no deli??

Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
HEB Plus and Central Market has an extensive deli section. Cold cuts, imported deli meats and cheese, variety of salads, variety of ready to eat stuff (cooked meats, fish, noodle dishes, rice, salads, veggies)
Same at my HEB here in suburban Houston (which is one of their large stores). My in laws live close to the Central Market and there are a lot of things they have there that they don't have in any of the other HEB stores, including a variety of salads and dips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We have Hy-Vee, a Midwest employee-owned supermarket chain, and their salad bar, deli, and hot bar are pretty good. They have a sort of dine-in food court in this area.
The Hy-Vee dine in food court at the store where we lived in Missouri served great breakfasts. I did most of my shopping at my neighborhood Schnuck's, but when I wanted to splurge and/or at holidays, I would shop at Hy- Vee instead and always treat myself to breakfast

Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what???? the beloved trader joes has NO deli?????
say it aint so!! women seem to love this place...and they have no deli??
No, it's all prepackaged foods. They have packaged lunchmeat, but no deli.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Same at my HEB here in suburban Houston (which is one of their large stores). My in laws live close to the Central Market and there are a lot of things they have there that they don't have in any of the other HEB stores, including a variety of salads and dips.

The Hy-Vee dine in food court at the store where we lived in Missouri served great breakfasts. I did most of my shopping at my neighborhood Schnuck's, but when I wanted to splurge and/or at holidays, I would shop at Hy- Vee instead and always treat myself to breakfast
It's good. They do a huge free one every year on Veteran's Day for servicemembers and their families, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink