Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 11:40 AM

5,464 posts, read 4,090,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Well, ya live, ya learn. Oils are preservatives, they don't provide a harbor or growing ground for bacteria. You could find a sealed amphora with olive oil a thousand years old, and still eat it today. It would probably taste funky, but, like alcohol, it's not likely to go somewhere where it would make you sick. And you'd smell it if it was.

Good points from kyle about keeping oils - but they would only go rancid anyway. Animal fats are more likely to go rancid, but that is probably because they have more particulates in them. When you render them, they are stable, like plant oils.

Did you know that pemmican can be kept, and edible for decades (if kept properly)? Pemmican is dried meat and rendered fat. Dried fruit can also be added. It is the lack of moisture, and the fat keeps oxygen out. You wrap it to keep the light and air out - and you've got nutrition for hard times.

Olive oil is the same. It's been used since before written history to preserve and store food.

Wrong, flavored oils are a perfect growing medium for anaerobic bacteria like botulism.

"The problem with many flavored oils is that they give the perfect environment for botulinum to grow in : Vegetable matter like garlic and herbs will often have botulinum spores on it waiting to find a nice place to grow and provides ready supplies of food and water. By submerging them in oil, you eliminate any surrounding air thereby providing an anaerobic environment, and if you keep the oil at room temperature (as one normally does with oil) then you’ve given the bacterium the right growing temperature to multiply." (from a wasabi website).

Use flavored vinegars instead of flavored oils.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:18 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,673,111 times
They were probably fine.

Next time give them to someone who has a diesel. Pour it in the fuel tank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 11:42 AM

42,008 posts, read 75,395,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I really hesitated to toss them because they are about $15 each, but I decided to not take a chance, and threw them in the trash.

What do you food experts think ?
I think you wasted $30 and wasted perfectly good food.

The worst that would happen is that the oil would turn rancid, which is not going to give you food poisoning; it's just going to taste bad. A quick sniff test would have settled your question.

The date on the bottle was not an "expiration" date; it was simply a date beyond which the product may or may not be considered fresh. The misinformation, and the gullibility of the public, concerning dates printed on non-perishable foods is astounding.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:45 AM

130,936 posts, read 12,226,382 times
I remember reading, how in the old days, some dowry was paid in Olive Oil. I expect they got enough to last more than a few years.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:22 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,747,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Last night I decided to clean out my food pantry and get rid of any out of date food in there. In the back, I found two unopened bottles of Pompeii Olive oil that expired in March of 2019. I really hesitated to toss them because they are about $15 each, but I decided to not take a chance, and threw them in the trash.

What do you food experts think ? They were stored in a dark cabinet in an air conditioned house, which theoretically should extend shelf life, but I just didn't want to risk anything.
Perfectly fine to consume. I've had older than that. That is, it's safe. Now, the taste may not be great, so you may not want to use it on salad, but you won't get sick.

However, since I don't know how precise your spelling is, I'll also mention that I think it's Pompeian olive oil which Consumer Reports considered the worst of the supermarket brands.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,005,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Perfectly fine to consume. I've had older than that. That is, it's safe. Now, the taste may not be great, so you may not want to use it on salad, but you won't get sick.

However, since I don't know how precise your spelling is, I'll also mention that I think it's Pompeian olive oil which Consumer Reports considered the worst of the supermarket brands.
I don't always go by what C report has to say, but I do agree with you there probably isn't any amount of time when worrying about when the oil is spoiled. Of course we all know by now the OP did just toss the oil.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:06 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,462,885 times
Makes a really good leather polish.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:20 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,877,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Makes a really good leather polish.
As a kid whenever somebody got a new baseball glove, out came the olive oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink