Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 07:42 PM

439 posts, read 290,311 times

Advertisements

The kind of food usually only very well off people eat at like 3 star Michelin restaurants etc. Where you pay hundreds for just a little bit on your plate, is it really worth it or do most just eat it as a status symbol? You really never seem to have much on a plate and spending loads of money for it. And for a person used to an American fast-food diet how would eating such taste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
If you are use to a fast food diet you probably won't appreciate it because you taste buds are use to salt and sugar. I've gotten to enjoy a number of those fancy dinners as "research" on someone else dime, they are pretty amazing if you don't think about the price. I'll travel for a great taco, burger, BBQ or bowl of ramen before some fancy dinner but those dinners have been pretty memorable and I'm glad I did get to enjoy them.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:49 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
The kind of food usually only very well off people eat at like 3 star Michelin restaurants etc. Where you pay hundreds for just a little bit on your plate, is it really worth it or do most just eat it as a status symbol? You really never seem to have much on a plate and spending loads of money for it. And for a person used to an American fast-food diet how would eating such taste?
I have no idea because I'm not used to an American fast food diet.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Worth it? It really depends on your interests, palate and wealth.

I have eaten at a number of Michelin rated restaurants in a variety of countries and some restaurants that are equally good imo, albeit unrated.

First, if your palate is suited to fast food, as Dogmama notes, the lack of sugar, salt and fat is likely to be offputting to you. Fine dining is about more complex textures and flavors, which like any food or drink, is an acquired taste.

If you do like fine foods, a great restaurant is an amazing experience. Presentation is nice, but the balance of flavors and textures between vegetables, meats, cheeses, can be wonderful. A great sauce on beef, fish, or similar can bring out the flavor of the protein, or create a new flavor combination. A great restaurant will also have consistently great preparation. Perfectly grilled, sauteed, steamed or whatever.

You can also sample completely new dishes that you would not encounter otherwise.

I cannot afford to eat like this frequently, but I certainly do so for birthdays, anniversaries, vacations and similar. I cannot remember every mundane meal I have eaten from Thai takeout places, pizza restaurants, or average restaurants, but I can remember most of the meals I have had at really great places.

In my mind, it is worth it to eat this way occasionally, but one also needs to have developed a palate to appreciate it.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:12 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
In those Michelin style restaurants it's all about quality, not quantity. It's also about cooking techniques and mastery of flavor. It's about presentation. It's about peaceful eating excellent good paired with excellent wines, enjoying the ambiance and attention to every detail. It's about experience.

People who want to stuff themselves with quantity go to McD or such. All You Can Eat is a great example of places that serve cheap mediocrity in abundance. No refined palate is needed - just wolf down several plates of highly processed junk food as quickly as you can. Great bang for the buck, though.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Just make it for yourself at home the way it is made in the restaurants and feel free to put as much on your plate as you desire. It will save you plenty of money because you won't be hiring a highly trained staff to prepare and serve it and you can even eat it off a paper plate if you don't feel like doing dishes.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:05 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Depends on your taste. I love simple style cooking, more of a homey country type meals. I’ve enjoyed food in Bulgaria, Greece, Malta, Spain, Italy, and Israel but didn’t care for the food in France. Some places seem to care more about artistic presentation than actual flavor. They do use quality ingredients but some were too heavy in sauce in some places or not enough spices and herbs for my taste in other places. A simple lentil herb soup was a great treat for me. Perhaps it’s also about attitude of the restaurant. Some are so high that even the wait staff come across as obnoxious and that can ruin the taste of even a well prepared meal. One of the best meals I had was in Ancona Italy in which a family turned their garage into a small cafe restaurant with a chalkboard for a menu. Each day was a different menu and each day was a great meal. Similar experience in Spain with friendly family restaurants cooking homestyle food.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Not quite sure what you are trying to say but yes, the top restaurants are fantastic so of course they are going to be pricey. Anyone who lives on a diet of fast food would not appreciate the type of foods you get at even a Ruth Cs nor would they spend the money. This is a simply a matter of taste and personal life style as far as I am concerned.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:38 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Depends on your taste. I love simple style cooking, more of a homey country type meals. I’ve enjoyed food in Bulgaria, Greece, Malta, Spain, Italy, and Israel but didn’t care for the food in France. Some places seem to care more about artistic presentation than actual flavor. They do use quality ingredients but some were too heavy in sauce in some places or not enough spices and herbs for my taste in other places. A simple lentil herb soup was a great treat for me. Perhaps it’s also about attitude of the restaurant. Some are so high that even the wait staff come across as obnoxious and that can ruin the taste of even a well prepared meal. One of the best meals I had was in Ancona Italy in which a family turned their garage into a small cafe restaurant with a chalkboard for a menu. Each day was a different menu and each day was a great meal. Similar experience in Spain with friendly family restaurants cooking homestyle food.
One of our best meals in Italy was a small 4-5 table space in someone's home. The city was Stresa, along a part of Lago Maggiore in northern Italy.

I've been to France several times. The best food I had there was in Antibes. I also had what I call the "French Misconnection" in Marseilles, a dish called Andouillette.

We save our money to go to high quality restaurants with great food and service, none of which are French. There are no good Cajun nor Creole restaurants where we live. They would be about as close to a "French" restaurant as we would come.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:10 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
I know no one who lives off "an American Fast Food Diet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink