Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 07:45 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times

Advertisements

I’ve got a whole cupboard
Filled with flavored teas.. most from Xmas gifts
I never wrote down which family member gave me what so I don’t dare to regift
I’m sure it would be ( back) to the same person ..

After reading this thread I’ll try to
Drink more tea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 08:29 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Drink more tea
Hope it's a quality tea. Like ... made from loose leaves, not the common crap brewed from DUST swept up from tea factory floor. Only then you can appreciate the taste.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:07 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I forgot about jasmine. I see that in green tea usually. Hibiscus seems to be in most Celestial Seasonings teas.
Dragon Pearl Jasmine is a favorite of mine:

https://www.harney.com/products/dragon-pearl-jasmine

I have some Adagio Summer Rose which is nice once in a while, but for a floral tea jasmine is still my favorite:

https://www.adagio.com/flavors/summer_rose.html

Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I'm enjoying some time in Mexico right now and yesterday I walked past a huge bin of dried hisbiscus flowers in the local supermarket.

They are antioxident and also have been shown to lower blood pressure. Best yet, they produce a very pretty crimson tea that is tart and tasty.

I've just decided I'm going to bring some back for friends. Perfect gift - no extra weight in the suitcase.

One year I tried to make it at home from my own hisbiscus. It was awful. Maybe hybrids won't work?

Old 03-21-2021, 09:59 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
I enjoy the flavor of hibiscus, and I think it's high in vitamin C. Perhaps that's what gives it a somewhat bitter flavor. I add a little sugar to knock the bitterness down. Chamomile is great for night time, although I rarely drink it. I drank it more often when I was experiencing sleeping problems.

Greek mountain tea is one I tried recently. The whole plant is used, not just the flower. It has no real flavor that I could pick up on, but it is said to be good for fighting off a cold, or even preventing one.

For those interested, there are some wild flowers which are safe to consume. Dandelions are the most common, but these should never be picked off lawns and such that have been treated. In the summer, I occasionally go out to the woods to pick flowers I know are safe to consume.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:40 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
One year I tried to make it at home from my own hisbiscus. It was awful. Maybe hybrids won't work?
hibiscus tea is usually made from either H. sabdariffa (roselle) or H. acetosella .
I've grown and drunk roselle; delicious tea, but the plant is not as pretty as ornamental hibiscus. The leaves are quite different, the flowers don't open as wide, and the whole plant is kind of rangey. At least, mine were.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:51 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I’ve got a whole cupboard
Filled with flavored teas.. most from Xmas gifts
I never wrote down which family member gave me what so I don’t dare to regift
I’m sure it would be ( back) to the same person ..

Drink more tea
How old are they? If more than a couple years, don't bother.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:06 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I like fruit juice in hibscus tea - mango or orange works well and takes away any bitterness. You don't need a lot, just enough to pick up the fruit among the hibiscus flavor.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:21 PM

65 posts, read 88,747 times
Dry Hibiscus for tea can be purchased by the pound at Mexican grocery stores. Ask for "Jamaica", the name it goes by in Spanish. In Mexican tradition, it is a fresh, cold drink, one among several "aguas frescas."

Old 03-22-2021, 10:18 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,082 times
We used to have a pug that would eat the blossoms off our bush (not sprayed). She would eat so many that they would give her digestive issues so we had to stop letting her out in that part of the yard, a fenced courtyard. She passed over the rainbow bridge at almost 16 years. She'd still get her "treats," but they were limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink