Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 02:27 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,074,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Also, you can broil your steaks in the oven broiler. It’s simple and the house doesn’t get smoky.

Exactly...use the broiler. S & P and garlic salt both sides.
6-7 mins on each side, been doing this for years...no smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 02:46 PM

433 posts, read 532,780 times
I don't like steak! Cook pork chops in my electric skillet on the back deck and my salmon fillets in the toaster oven also on the back deck. Works for me!

Old 03-30-2021, 03:04 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Also, you can broil your steaks in the oven broiler. It’s simple and the house doesn’t get smoky.
I used to broil steaks all the time. I did have some once in a while though. My fire alarm would sometimes go off

Now I use the tabletop grill (like a George Forman type of thing).

Old 03-30-2021, 06:00 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
I like the pan method better. Steaks come better. Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and ghee. I have a fan over my range that I put on. I also set up a floor fan in the foyer and open the kitchen window.

None of this alleviates smoke completely, but it does prevent the entire apartment from smelling like a seared steak for the rest of the evening. You will find that cleaning the pan, lid and stove top immediately after cooking helps reduce odors too.

If you do all this and really cant bare any odor at all, you can try boiling cinnamon sticks, cloves, anise seeds etc after you are done.

In the end, pan frying is the very best way to cook steak. I wouldnt give it up over a little odor in my kitchen.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:01 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
I used to make steaks in the oven broiler when I had a gas range.

Now with electric, I pan-broil steak & take in & out of oven using Gordon Ramsey’s method. It’s actual pretty simple & produces a delicious steak every time I use it. I just google it.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:23 PM

735 posts, read 452,866 times
Air-frying for 10’ at 390 to 400F.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:27 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Exactly...use the broiler. S & P and garlic salt both sides.
6-7 mins on each side, been doing this for years...no smoke.
Yep, that's what it there for.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
It's funny how people go to length here about smoke when many restaurants uses liquid smoke after it's been through the broiler.

You go to any top rated steakhouse, it's a broiler method. Then when they say it's fire grilled. It's simply a quick 2 mins on the indoor grill for marks and then add liquid smoke to it. People can't tell the difference because the steak is done perfect.

The problem with using a real fire pit or grill is that temperature is very hard to control especially on a charcoal grill. So I think it's easier to do the broiler method and then add some liquid smoke to it for flavor.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:08 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
First of all, I do not grill outside so please do not go there. I am looking at ways to cook a rare to medium rare steak in my kitchen. I did try the sear it on both side in frying pan then bake it for a few minutes. I liked how it turned out but man oh man the house got very smoke filled.

I should have added Filet Mignon to the title also.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Well seasoned cast-iron pan. I put it in the oven and set it for 500 and give it a good preheat. I pull it out of the oven turn the oven to 375 put it on the stove top turn on the stove top to about medium I think. I take the steak, and I usually eat filet mignon cause it’s the right size.

I coat the steak well in vegetable oil, and then sprinkle it with salt and pepper. I sear it on one side for one minute 30 seconds, flip it, one minute 30 seconds, flip it back, stick it in the oven depending on how thick it is 4 to 6 minutes flip it again another 4 to 6 minutes. They tend to cut steaks like an inch and a half thick out here. And I tend to like my meat more medium. Pull it out and then take it out of the pan and let it rest for a few minutes make a salad, and the secret ingredient is Wishbone Russian dressing. I use Wishbone Russian dressing. It’s the best thing in the world to use as a steak sauce. It’s not too acidic, the tomato base really adds to the meaty taste, and the celery seeds just kick it up.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My favorite way to cook steaks and chops is broiling them. Mmmm, crispy bits!

I hardly ever set off smoke detectors when I cook. I must be doing something wrong.
My son has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes