Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2021, 03:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

are your dogs eating prime prime ribs?
Randall always have prime steak on sale each week,around $22.99/lb.
Is it any good,have anyone try it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 04:18 PM

8,050 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Yep. Once or twice a year they get some prime rib. Not a lot (probably 1/2 pound each). I only have two dogs and they are family.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:33 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Yep. Once or twice a year they get some prime rib. Not a lot (probably 1/2 pound each). I only have two dogs and they are family.
Woof, woof. Will you adopt me?

Old 11-26-2021, 09:47 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post

Prime grade prime rib? No. I buy choice grade when I buy a rib roast. The rib roast has a lot of fat and the choice grade has plenty of fat in it to make the meat tasty and tender. Even Select grade rib roast has enough fat, but I don't buy because the select grade never has any aging on it and I don't like meat that tastes green.

I can buy select and age it in my own refrigerator for 10 days and it will be good, but that's a nuisance.

I pay the extra $$$$ for prime grade when I buy New York strip.

Yes, the dogs get a taste, but only a taste and mostly trimmed fat and gristly bits. With the price of meat, the dogs are getting a lot more pork and chicken and a lot less beef. I buy round for them when I am buying beef and they are happy with Select grade.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:29 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I made a horseradish crusted prime rib that turned out really awesome. We used to get it from Charlie Browns restaurants. Everyone that tried it said it tasted better then theirs.

I let it sit/rest in a turned off, hot oven for a while. I've never done that before. I used 2 of the recipes that I found online.

This is the first recipe that comes up when I google Charlie Browns horseradish crusted prime rib
That prime rib recipe looks delicious and I don't even eat meat!

Old 11-26-2021, 10:29 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
Yesterday's results turned out pretty well. I had to cook for 2 sets of parents; two dining parties each had 4 adults and teenage kid. I chopped the 5.34 lb ribeye roast into two pieces. Too small for each but that's the last piece of rib I could find at Costco.

5:00 a.m. I took both pieces out of fridge and rub them with pepper and provence herbs. I did not use salt for fear of it extracting moisture, especially since the 2nd piece will not be cooked for 13 hours. 1st piece of meat was left in room to start coming to room temperature. I applied salt right before roasting.

Is it a good idea to apply "dry rub" to prime rib?-ribeye-roast3.jpg

11:18 a.m. 1st piece went into oven. The oven had a max temperature setting of 450 degrees F, but only reaches 410 F. This threw all the calculations off the window; had to improvise on the spot. I decided to extend the blast to 30 min, then reduce to 325 and continually check for internal temperature.

11:48 a.m. oven temperature reduced to 350, to achieve 325 real temperature.

12: 18 p.m. I decided to do my first test of internal temperature. Shockingly it was already 130 F. I immediately pulled the rib out of oven.

I had anticipating it needing to be in oven for longer; the other dishes were still being prepared. The rib ended up sitting for 30 min before being served as I deal with other side dishes (creamy spinach, asparagus in garlic butter, and baked potato. Here is how it turned out:

Is it a good idea to apply "dry rub" to prime rib?-ribeye-roast-a1.jpg

Is it a good idea to apply "dry rub" to prime rib?-ribeye-roast-a2.jpg

Is it a good idea to apply "dry rub" to prime rib?-ribeye-roast-a3.jpg

In the evening the whole process was repeated again. But with the experience from the noon meal everything went a bit more smoothly and faster. For example, while I boiled the asparagus I steamed the spinach on top, and the wilted spinach was a lot easier to blend with the cream sauce. And here is the outcome:

Is it a good idea to apply "dry rub" to prime rib?-ribeye-roast-b1.jpg

Is it a good idea to apply "dry rub" to prime rib?-ribeye-roast-b2.jpg

Both times the rib was about medium, our preferred doneness. My take away from yesterday:

1. Even with formula in hand, one must still be prepared to improvise when cooking prime rib
2. An electric gauge that can quickly give temperature reading is essential. Those old mechanical dials needing 30 seconds to climb to the reading is no good.
3. Best to have a count-down clock for timing. I was too busy with other tasks that I could not constantly observe the time.
4. Have every dish done right around the same meal time is very difficult to manage. In the evening I cooked the vegetables early in the roasting stage to get them out of the way.

I still need to learn:

How to make "warm plates" to keep the meat warm. In this Nov temperature the meat cools down quickly on the table. Are there plates that can keep more heat than others?

Old 11-26-2021, 10:54 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I find that my dog just swallows every bite-size meat whole (takes less than 1 second). I really feel they cannot appreciate the difference between prime, choice, select, or chuck/round roast. Hence they only get chuck/round roast.

But I give them big cow leg bones once in a while which they go nuts about and can enjoy for days.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Yesterday's results turned out pretty well.
Looks PERFECT to me! I used to have an oven that could never get past 450 without it cutting off so a few modifications to the time were necessary. Just replaced the oven and it will go up to 550 with no issues (yet).

Old 11-26-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I find that my dog just swallows every bite-size meat whole (takes less than 1 second). I really feel they cannot appreciate the difference between prime, choice, select, or chuck/round roast. Hence they only get chuck/round roast.

But I give them big cow leg bones once in a while which they go nuts about and can enjoy for days.
I know they probably didn't fully appreciate the meat but it was there and they seemed to enjoy it.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:51 PM

1,291 posts, read 176,662 times
First time I made Prime Rib I used a recipe that called for herbs and crushed garlic mixed into butter, to be slathered all over the roast. I watched it melt and slide off the roast within minutes of it being in the oven so I decided that idea was dumb.

Next time I used Dijon Mustard and it was a better idea. It stayed on and made a nice crust. I've also put a bit of breadcrumbs into the rub. Last time I used Horseradish in place of the Dijon just to try that out. And that was good too. Not much of the mustard or horseradish. Just enough to make it stick to the roast because I didn't want those things overpowering the flavor of the delicious beef. But yeah, the butter wasn't a good idea as far as I'm concerned. I might try it dry next time. Just herbs, salt and crushed garlic. Got one in the freezer I'll pull out in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink