Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2022, 07:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

The NYT's Sunday magazine section was mostly a photography spread showcasing ordinary Ukrainians bravely forging on, and I thought this was particularly touching, people using whatever skills they may have.

Five years ago, Vladyslav Malashchenko, 26, opened Good Bread From Good People, a bakery that employs adults with mental or psychological disabilities and specializes in cakes and hot lunches. On the day before Russian Army units rolled onto Ukrainian soil, Malashchenko, sensing the impending crisis, held a meeting with the staff, in which they decided to stop selling to individual customers and bake bread for the public good.
They quickly procured an additional 150 kilograms of flour and set to work. “I am not militant in my nature,” Malashchenko said, “but I can bake bread.” Throughout the opening weeks of the conflict, the bakery produced about 300 loaves of bread a day, almost all of which it has given away — some to a home for adults with cognitive disabilities, the rest to volunteer organizations, which distribute it in Kyiv. Malashchenko plans to keep baking. “Now, at this time of great need in Kyiv,” he said, “we need to continue our work.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-war-kyiv.html

Old 03-29-2022, 07:26 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The NYT's Sunday magazine section was mostly a photography spread showcasing ordinary Ukrainians bravely forging on, and I thought this was particularly touching, people using whatever skills they may have.
Chef Jose's World Central Kitchen is doing great relief work there as well.
https://wck.org/
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink