Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a foodie?
Yes, love food. 43 79.63%
No, food is just sustainance 3 5.56%
Other, please explain. 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 03:21 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I was talking to this acquaintance last night and I just asked if she was a foodie and she said no. I noticed that she thought the wedding meal we were eating was really good, when I thought it was completely average. My Italian husband's family talks about the next meal when they are eating the current meal. They obsess about food. So I wonder how many people are really foodies?
I am not a foodie. I try to live a healthy lifestyle, so my eating is geared toward that mainly, although I choose foods I like, of course. But I usually consider the sodium, fat content, and sugar content of the foods, and am selective.

Still, there are times when I treat myself to some of my favorite things, like Mexican food, gumbo, favorite candies, Italian Cream Cake, etc. So I make some of my favorite foodie dishes occasionally. But I don't obsess over food or find it pleasurable to cook or enjoy talking about food a lot. I'm also not picky about how dishes are cooked, as long as it tastes good to me. Which I guess means I'd never make a good cook!

It also so happens that some of my favorite foods are not cooked at all, like fresh apples and mangos. So I've accepted that I'll never be a great cook, because I don't care enough and my favorite foods aren't even cooked!

I've had a glimpse of a foodie experience a few times, though, when I've had some dish that was particularly outstanding...to me. Recently I had lobster bisque for the first time in the middle of some awesome homemade big roll. It was heavenly and a real experience. I ate the whole thing, including the bread. Awesome. I suppose foodies are like that. But for me, that's a rare occurrence for me to react that way to a cooked dish. (although I have on occasion reacted that way to a perfect mango!)

Old 08-31-2022, 07:03 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
No, because I loathe the term. I do, however, love food, cooking, and reading cookbooks.
You got here before I did. I think that the word gourmet turns some people off and gourmand isn't exactly a household word.

I don't eat sammies or veggies. I did wear jammies when I was little.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You got here before I did. I think that the word gourmet turns some people off and gourmand isn't exactly a household word.

I used to think "veggies" was the worst abomination until "sammies" came along.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:14 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
It depends on the day and what definition we're using.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:29 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

'Gourmand' is also associated with someone who habitually eats too much. Though that may apply to me of late, I wouldn't want it to stick.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:27 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I used to think "veggies" was the worst abomination until "sammies" came along.
butties.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:01 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
I voted yes, at least in the sense that I'm VERY open to trying new kinds of food. Although I will say screw those fancy schmancy expensive Michelin star restaurants, since such places usually are too overpriced to bother eating at. If it's like a Bib Gourmand place(rated as a good place to eat for cheap), then I wouldn't mind at eating such a place. That said I do NOT seek out Michelin rated restaurants/bars, and more rely on good word of mouth or good online reviews from others before I decide which places to eat or drink at.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:28 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So I wonder how many people are really foodies?
IMO, the term "foodie" has been so over-used that's it's largely become a misnomer for people who like food a lot or love food.

Many people do.

And many people like and even love to cook.

IMO, this does make one a foodie.

"Foodie" is people pretending that they are connoisseurs of food - of which they are not.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:07 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I cook and eat 3 simple meals a day and leave it at that........anything more to do with food does not interest me that much.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:34 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Your choice question doesn't really reflect your poll question.

As you say, being a foodie doesn't just mean loving food. Someone can be a fast-food addict and love all that, yet not be a foodie.
I agree, I thought the same.

So, I didn't vote, as they mean 2 different things.

(Not that my opinion means a hill of beans, anyway!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink