Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 01:08 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

ADDENDUM TO PREVIOUS POST:

The IDEAL “Instant Pot” might have 3 pressure settings, low (6 psi), medium (11 psi), and high (15 psi); sized to fit most accessories (8" internal diameter for insert); a custom (and calibrated) temperature setting (for low temperature slow cooking, sous-vide, etc), and cook timer.
(Budget models do not feature custom temperature settings - only presets)
The other features - displays and buttons - are functional.

Useful accessories : egg rack for pressure steaming eggs (and use for other purposes); inner pot lid, for non-pressure cooking; silicone molds for various recipes; silicone tipped tongs (various shapes).

Instant Pot Max 6 Quart Multi-use Electric Pressure Cooker with 15psi Pressure Cooking, Sous Vide, Auto Steam Release Control and Screen, $150. ($75 lowest price Black Friday 2021)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077T9YGRM
+ Accurate temperature control within plus/minus 1°C (or 1.8 °F) allows for sous vide cooking
+ Altitude compensation (input your local altitude)
+ 3 pressure settings : high (15 psi), medium (11.6 psi), low (6.5 psi)
+ NutriBoost (auto agitation, via intermittent steam release, on rice or soup setting)
+ Adjustable temp range of 25°C ~ 90°C / 77°F ~ 194°F

BEST BUDGET VERSION - - -

Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 quart 9-in-1 pressure cooker $80 ($60 lowest price Black Friday 2021)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTPTS
Working pressures : Low 5.8 - 7.2 PSI (40 - 50 kPa); High: 10.2 - 11.6 PSI (70 - 80 kPa) [NO 15 PSI setting]
Has sous-vide capability

Accessories:
Egg Rack Trivet
https://www.amazon.com/Aozita-Multip...=29Y0J952GVYSX
(Can use upper level for other things, while steaming eggs on the lower rack)

Other:
2 qt cast iron dutch oven
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...R8K/ref=sr_1_6
(lid will fit on a 7" cast iron skillet)
(Note: cast iron does NOT heat up evenly. It does retain heat and thus once at temperature it will cook evenly. So be patient, check temperature with an infrared thermometer, and only put in food when fully heated up.)
+ Great for small batches of 'deep fried' foods (mutant egg foo young - drop a mix of two eggs, chopped vegetables, diced ham, etc - into 1" hot oil, cook until the bottom is crunchy and delicious, scoop and enjoy)
+ Stir fry (preheat to "rocket hot")

CRAZ-ZEE* BRIT RECIPES IN AN INSTANT POT
(If you didn't know what they were talking about)
- - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvKqvav-PrE

Last edited by jetgraphics; 09-21-2022 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 01:19 PM

3,059 posts, read 2,035,841 times
WiseShopper

Make a list of 7 to 10 meals you'd like to eat for dinner if someone else was making them or you were eating out.
Then figure out whether those would be InstantPot made dinners or how they'd be made by you.
That will tell you whether InstantPot is a good purchase.

As someone stated the recipes for IP will make more food than 1 person eats.
Leftovers can be fun but my husband is not a fan.

If I were a single guy I'd eat out half my dinners for social reasons and learn to make some dinners at home.
You can meet someone while eating out then cook together and live happily ever after :-)
I bought a book about the many different dinners you can make with grocery store ready-to-eat rotisserie chicken. Yummy and healthy.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:25 PM

1,869 posts, read 843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
My Instant Pot has ONLY been used for boiled peanuts.

hmmmmmmm, good idea

Old 09-21-2022, 06:40 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm a single guy and live alone. And frankly, I've just been lazy to learn to cook. So to get by on food, I either make a cold cut sandwich, eat take out food, make something very simple from a jar or can, or mooch off of my parents by eating at their place.

I admit, none of this is the healthiest way to live. I really should learn to cook, but I've tried and never done a good job. It appears to take a lot of trial and error, which I don't have the patience and time for. I was hearing a lot about these Instant Pot pressure cookers where you can cook a nice meal in just 10 minutes. I've never used one before, so it will be a kitchen gadget that I will need to learn to use. But I'm willing to invest the time if does indeed make cooking for myself easier.

Anyone own one of these Instant Pot pressure cookers and can recommend it for an amateur cook like me?
It's hard to get motivated to cook if you live alone, since the act of cooking is in many ways an act of giving to others.

But aside from that I'd say get an Instant Pot. It's much quicker and more reliable to prepare things like roast beef. You can make 6 or 7 pounds and freeze it for future meals.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:11 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm a single guy and live alone..... I really should learn to cook, but I've tried and never done a good job. It appears to take a lot of trial and error....
A guy who can "cook" will rarely remain alone for long. Gals are impressed by the Lords of the Kitchen. If you walk down the street "reeking" of freshly baked bread, garlic and fresh herbs, you'll turn more heads than if you wore the most expensive after shave.
. . . .
LEARN TO COOK - GET "THE BOOK"

Back in the 1950s - 90s, one might suggest reading (literally) JOY OF COOKING. It has been in print continuously since 1936 and has sold more than 20 million copies. It explains a lot as well as provide a reference of recipes (cross referenced, etc). The hard copy version, traditionally bound, is better than the paperback or other variants. Might even check out a copy from a library - if they're still around.
"JOY remains the greatest teaching cookbook ever written."
https://www.amazon.com/Joy-of-Cooking/dp/0743246268
As one reviewer put it, "It's chatty."
Indeed. It's not a dry compendium of recipes and techniques, but a very readable and informative guide to "American style" cooking.
. . . .

Starting in 2000, one could watch "GOOD EATS" hosted by Alton Brown. Filmed in and around Atlanta and northern Georgia (where I was living at the time, and actually visited many of the shooting sites).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Eats
Brown explores the science and technique behind the cooking, the history of different foods, and the advantages of different kinds of cooking equipment. The show tends to focus on familiar dishes that can easily be made at home, and also features segments on choosing the right appliances, and getting the most out of inexpensive, multi-purpose tools.
. . . .

Unfortunately, no reference is infallable and even the best cooks (and authors) make mistakes. That's life.
Cooking is an art - and - a science.

As one wizened old Trail Chef explained, "A good cook knows how to balance the four basics : sweet, sour, bitter, and salty." And most condiments (& junque foods) are a combination of salt, sugar, vinegar and grease (fat).

(mustard : mustard seed, vinegar, salt; ketchup : tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, salt; icing : butter, sugar, salt; potato chips : potatoes, grease, salt, opt. vinegar; salad dressing : oil, vinegar, salt opt. sweet)

Some spices were known to mask the bad aroma of food going rotten - like black pepper - a spice in great demand before refrigeration. (fresh ground pepper is far superior to the pre-ground stuff in stores and restaurants - blech!)
{There is nothing that compares with a perfectly cooked steak, dusted with fresh ground pepper and salt.}

Caveat - individuals and tastes vary. What one finds to be ambrosia may be repugnant to another. That's part of the "trial and error".

For example, I am one of the subgroup that thinks cilantro (used in Mexican salsa) tastes "soapy". When I was younger, I was also a "super taster" detecting bitterness (and toxins) in a variety of foods - especially fresh tomatoes (which led adults to assume I was a "picky eater"). I even balked at "virgin" olive oil because of a nasty bitter aftertaste. Later researchers have determined that it was a real ability. So don't ever force a child to eat foods they find repugnant - it may be their natural "gift" to detect "bad foods."
In contrast, as I have aged, my sensitivity has dropped and now enjoy "nasty" flavors like horseradish (used in Shrimp cocktail), raw onions (vidalia), and all varieties of peppers (jalapeno, bell, etc).

So what does that mean? Any recipe (or technique) is not cast in stone. You can adjust it and change it to suit yourself or your guests. Knowing how to adjust things is part of the fun - and frustration.
. . . .

Some of the most popular foods are easily made at home - like Pizza.

Flour, yeast, a bit of sugar (for the yeast), and water makes the dough.

Crushed tomatoes, a bit of italian spices, is the sauce.

Shredded mozzarella cheese is the topping.
(Variations are infinite as are the toppings)

"Southern Fried Pizza" - avoids the necessity of heating up an oven - is made in a 10" cast iron skillet.
Get your skillet "rocket hot" (above 400F), and slide in the risen dough (with a "peel" - big flat spatula). It usually takes 3-4 minutes on one side (if you see wisps of smoke, it's done), then flip it over for 1-2 minutes to cook the other side. Turn off the burner. Flip the cooked crust again, and apply the crushed tomatoes, sprinkle with italian spices, and add mozzarella cheese to the hot side. If you have a broiler, put the skillet with the pizza under the broiler for about 1 minute. Check on it. When the cheese is melted with a few dark spots - it's done.

Takes about 6-8 minutes cooking time overall.

If you don't have a broiler, just put a lid on and let it sit for a few minutes to melt the mozzarella cheese.
(If you buy ingredients in bulk, a typical 10" pizza will run $0.75 to $1.25)
[Alternative]
Recent foodie trick - use a baking steel - a quarter inch slab of steel - preheated in your oven, to recreate the conditions in a commercial pizza oven, for the "perfect" NY pizza.
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-pizz...steel-delivers
More intricacies of gourmet pizza:
https://www.seriouseats.com/essentia...-pizza-at-home

Fascinating visual that highlights the complexities of Asian cooking in the opening sequence of "Eat Drink Man Woman." (about an old master chef, who lost his sense of taste, and his three unmarried daughters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-2QBYKI8LU
- - - - -
- - - - -
"Secret Weapon" for solo cooks in the 2020's - a Dash mini waffle maker ($13)
https://www.amazon.com/DASH-DMW001AQ...79L/ref=sr_1_3
Not just breakfast Waffles, but Hash Browns, Keto Chaffles (egg & cheese waffles - no flour), Okonomiyaki, and more. You could even use bread dough to make a waffle "bun" for DIY burgers - or mini pizza.
(YouTube is full of mini Waffler videos - if you're interested)
If you prefer making four waffles at a time, DASH has two versions - round mini waffles and square belgian waffles (bigger and thicker). I have both. Use them a lot. The mini waffles are great for bread substitutions (chaffles) and fit typical 4" diameter cold cuts, burgers, etc. The big belgians are great for pizza bases, okonomiyaki (Japanese style cabbage and egg fritters), and 'Eggo' clones.

(Amazon just had a one-day sale on them, for $32 a pop, down from $49. May see that price again during Black Friday sales)
One of the features of the DASH 4x waffler are overflow gutters on both sides. Not many competitors offer that very useful feature. It makes them a wee bit larger, but it's worth it.
I started making my waffles in bulk, 8 at a time, wrapped in paper towels to absorb moisture, and stored in the refrigerator. The belgians are easily reheated in the toaster - and are big enough to not get stuck. The minis - I just use the microwave to be safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAi9XeSPR1I

Last edited by jetgraphics; 09-22-2022 at 12:51 AM..

Old 09-22-2022, 09:10 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Here’s my theory in general about small appliances....I don’t want most of them. Things I don’t want: rice cooker, waffle maker, panini grill, Forman Grill, juicer, blender, instant pot, electric fry pan, air fryer, Fry Daddy.

They aren’t necessary for me, and I hate stuff on my counter, and I also hate stuff that is hard to clean, or bulky to store. I understand how some of these things would be great for some people. I’ve never owned a toaster oven, but I know people use them everyday.

I like: my Kitchen Aid mixer, a hand mixer, microwave, and my Cuisinart food processor. I use a crock pot once in awhile.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:41 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Is it worth it? You can't spare $60 (or less on black Friday)? Heck most places have a 30 day return policy for you to try it out.

To answer your question, yes it's worth it unless you are trying to make expensive, gourmet meals. For a family, it's a life saver. Saves time and money.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:44 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'm wary of kitchen gadgets because I was an early adopter of the crockpot, which I never really found that much use for, but a friend talked me into getting an Instant Pot and I use it at least three times a week. It's completely replaced my expensive rice cooker, and hard boiled eggs come out perfect and easy to shell. I steam all my veggies in it, too, just following the time directions on the sheet that came with it. And I bought two vegetarian Instant Pot cookbooks that have great recipes.

I got the 3 quart size as I live alone. But as far as leftovers - I make all kinds of soups and stews that I freeze in small containers. I take one out a day before I want it, let it thaw in the fridge, and have enough for two meals. Right now I have 12 containers of various lentil stews, black bean soup, and garbanzo/pasta soups because I ran the IP ll weekend. I won't have to use it to make those things for weeks.

I don't think it's an "either/or" choice between an Instant Pot and an air fryer. To me they do very different things. I don't eat fried food because it's unhealthy, but an air fryer solves a lot of that problem and I've been thinking of getting one of those, too.
Air fryers are the best! You get the taste without the calories or the grease.

You might just have convinced me to invest in an Instant Pot. I was going to buy one years ago, but then I saw that a lot of people were selling them on FB Marketplace and OfferUp. I wondered about that. I'm a die hard crockpot user so I thought I wouldn't bother with the Instant Pot. However, the hardboiled eggs and steamed vegetables you described, along with other things would make it worth it. Probably pick one up second hand in almost new condition. A lot of people bought them and didn't take a shine to them.

We have a 3-in-1 microwave/air fryer/traditional oven. Wonderful product. Expensive, but worth the money.

As for the OP, invest in a decent vacuum food storage product to make extra and freeze for later!

Old 09-22-2022, 01:52 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here’s my theory in general about small appliances....I don’t want most of them. Things I don’t want: rice cooker, waffle maker, panini grill, Forman Grill, juicer, blender, instant pot, electric fry pan, air fryer, Fry Daddy.

They aren’t necessary for me, and I hate stuff on my counter, and I also hate stuff that is hard to clean, or bulky to store. I understand how some of these things would be great for some people. I’ve never owned a toaster oven, but I know people use them everyday.

I like: my Kitchen Aid mixer, a hand mixer, microwave, and my Cuisinart food processor. I use a crock pot once in awhile.
I mostly agree, although my rock-bottom list is a little different from yours (I prefer a blender, not a food processor, and I need a juicer because our lemon tree produces roughly 500 lemons every spring and the only way to deal with them is to juice them).

I do suspect that many gadgets and small appliances are designed to appeal to beginning and nonconfident cooks who are hopeful that the gadget will help make up for their rudimentary skills and will spend money to make it so. Of course, if your family loves waffles then you need a waffle iron, but for the most part, beginners should really start off with a couple of sharp knives, a few good pots and pans, and simple recipes which are specifically designed for beginners. There is unfortunately no quick substitute for the trial and error of learning how to tell when foods are cut to the right size and cooked correctly. You have to be willing to put in the work. Plop a pressure cooker in a beginner's kitchen and all you will get is trial and error on a grander scale.

Old 09-22-2022, 02:42 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I mostly agree, although my rock-bottom list is a little different from yours (I prefer a blender, not a food processor, and I need a juicer because our lemon tree produces roughly 500 lemons every spring and the only way to deal with them is to juice them).

I do suspect that many gadgets and small appliances are designed to appeal to beginning and nonconfident cooks who are hopeful that the gadget will help make up for their rudimentary skills and will spend money to make it so. Of course, if your family loves waffles then you need a waffle iron, but for the most part, beginners should really start off with a couple of sharp knives, a few good pots and pans, and simple recipes which are specifically designed for beginners. There is unfortunately no quick substitute for the trial and error of learning how to tell when foods are cut to the right size and cooked correctly. You have to be willing to put in the work. Plop a pressure cooker in a beginner's kitchen and all you will get is trial and error on a grander scale.
This is true, I think OP, needs to cook something simple in his oven or stove top first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink