Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 09:18 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

We have a couple of local donut bakeries that make and sell donuts and sweet rolls to die for. Abbe's Donuts. Worth every one of the million calories in each one of these little masterpieces.

That said, we don't indulge in any donuts except on rare occasions, too fattening, no redeeming nutritional benefit, and they don't even keep the hunger away until the next meal. Even still, I have to admit to being glad neither of these shops are within any close proximity to our home. If they were we'd be tempted to go there more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 11:33 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
there are so many mom and pop bakeries around still to satisfy any made-the-same-day donut fan.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:03 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
there are so many mom and pop bakeries around still to satisfy any made-the-same-day donut fan.

We had one nearby. Expensive, enormous donuts decorated to within an inch of their lives that all tasted exactly alike. No thanks.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:43 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,665,647 times
A good donut should be light, airy, oily, and has a good bite. A cake donut should be crispy outside and moist on the inside.

Dunkin Donuts uses soybean oil and their donuts lack yeast so it does not last overnight. Compare other bakery donuts and theirs after 24hrs which ones are still edible.

Same goes with Tim Horton, the donuts are just low quality ingredients. The jelly should not be just high fructose corn syrup and fake color. A good bakery donuts would use real strawberry preserves and natural ingredients.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:27 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
French crullers are not exactly the same thing as donuts, but they are a close cousin. The ones at Lil's Cafe' in Kittery, Maine are made from a modified pâte à choux pastry - eggy, rich and airy, and they are heaven - so simple and yet so good. If you live in the Kittery area or passing by on your way up the coast, I highly recommend stopping in at Lil's.
https://www.lilscafe.com/

Probably my favorites, wish I could find a good source locally.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:41 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Dunkin’ Donuts are frozen, and shipped. They are filled on site and frosted. So yeah, they’re not very good.

Our local grocery store here, Giant Eagle, makes very good donuts, and they usually sell what they have daily so there are no holdovers.

But I gotta be honest, nothing beats a fresh Krispy Kreme. I will also say you can’t buy a dozen Krispy Kreme and eat them over several days. First day is great, second great day not so much, third day you’re gonna be trying everything including putting them in the air fryer. Donuts are something that need to be eaten fresh.

The qualifier are like Entenmann’s donuts. Those are pretty much cake donuts, and those are actually pretty good for packaging like that.

Cake donuts are often baked. You can actually get donut pans. They may or may not be yeasted. Depends on the recipe. Used and raised are the same style, they are always fried, and they are usually very light and fluffy. Krispy Kreme actually makes a really good raised glazed donut.

They also make cake donuts that are simply glazed. And filled donuts that are glazed. It’s just a style of frosting.
Since you're back in the 'burgh, I'm going to give a shout-out to some of the best local doughnuts around: Better Maid Donut Co. in the West End (well, technically it's in Crafton Heights/Ingram-ish, but I digress) and Oram's up in Beaver Falls. One can get his or her Oram's fix closer in to Pittsburgh by stopping by Anchor and Anvil Coffee in Ben Avon or Coraopolis on Saturdays. They do pre-orders if you want to ensure that you get the doughnut(s) of your choice). It's a gamble as to when Better Maid is open or, if they *are* open, if there are any doughnuts left to be had if you get there after 7 or so.

My hometown in Ohio is famous for its doughnut shop and deservedly so.

The doughnuts from the 'iggle are fairly decent as grocery store doughnuts go, but if I'm going to be eating that many calories in one sitting, I'm all about waiting until I can score one from a local doughnut shop.

Not a fan of Krispy Kreme, although I really like the glaze that they use on their plain ol' glazed doughnuts.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:51 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Expensive, enormous donuts decorated to within an inch of their lives that all tasted exactly alike. No thanks.
Those are modern donuts created for Insta by bakers who watch entirely too much of the Food Channel. Don't even get me started on modern cupcakes with a 1:3 cake to frosting ratio and candy on top!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink