Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 07:59 PM

61,825 posts, read 87,269,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No. I honestly do not find that weird. Some onions are too intense for me and it isn't my thing, but yeah, that and garlic. I eat garlic cloves as a side taste with some foods. Onions are either mixed in or sautéed, except Bermudas and Vidalia and green onions... and shallots... and oh heck.

Braised shallot, mushroom, and snails in a garlic butter sauce? OMG. Don't tell what you are serving and wait for the accolades.

This all ^^^ sounds delicious. I am salivating!!
I saw on YT how to make black garlic spread and it look very tasty. Something to try...

BTW: l meant white onions. They are juicer and milder to me. And of course shallots!! Why are they so damn expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 08:17 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times
I wish I knew why they were more expensive, better yet, I wish I could grow them reliably but I think it takes a cooler climate. Whites, yeah. Spanish onions need the cooking to make them work for me... However, and I haven't had them for a while, small Spanish onions briefly cooked in a pot with a little water and a half stick of butter and some salt and maybe a spice or two?

Now YOU have me salivating.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:26 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,444,062 times
Tomatoes mostly….

Old 06-22-2023, 02:35 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
So many folks here lists items that are really fruits and not a vegetable by definition. A tomato is a fruit, Avocado is also a fruit.
Pretty sure most folks on the food forum are aware that tomatoes are a fruit, but are commonly accepted being cast as a vegetable. I mean a tomato in the midst of a fruit salad, or served with a dollop of cream would be a pretty odd taste sensation, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, boy - it will sound weird:
raw onions - plain, unaccompanied. I can eat them like apples. Any savory food with a raw onion became comfort food.
Potatoes, grains, pickled beets, pickled cabbage, half sour pickles, avocado, spinach, wild mushrooms, green cabbage, garlic, ... in that order.
Not so weird, my parents and quite a few other family members all do the same thing. Not to mention a bread and butter onion (and maybe pickles too) sandwich is a summer treat! Cukes and onions in vinegar is another good raw onion dish.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:41 AM

61,825 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pretty sure most folks on the food forum are aware that tomatoes are a fruit, but are commonly accepted being cast as a vegetable. I mean a tomato in the midst of a fruit salad, or served with a dollop of cream would be a pretty odd taste sensation, no?Not so weird, my parents and quite a few other family members all do the same thing. Not to mention a bread and butter onion (and maybe pickles too) sandwich is a summer treat! Cukes and onions in vinegar is another good raw onion dish.
Oh, yes!!! Love them too.
I often reuse leftover dill pickles brine to make pickled onions! Peel, cut or slice and add to the brine. Why waste it?
It works well for just any vegetable - cucumbers are great, but so are green beans, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, turnips, beets, or shredded cabbage. You can create perpetuate pickle jar
Not to mention that fermented vegetables are very healthy (some are a great source of probiotics)

Old 06-22-2023, 09:02 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
So many folks here lists items that are really fruits and not a vegetable by definition. A tomato is a fruit, Avocado is also a fruit.

They are both used like vegetables, though.

"Knowledge is knowing tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad."

Old 06-22-2023, 09:11 PM

1,832 posts, read 812,274 times
I love spinach, it's my favorite leafy veg for salad. I grew up hating the stuff, but it's because I was only familiar with the canned variety. Oy. Terrible. Fresh or even frozen is delicious.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:15 AM

12,519 posts, read 9,595,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I love spinach, it's my favorite leafy veg for salad. I grew up hating the stuff, but it's because I was only familiar with the canned variety. Oy. Terrible. Fresh or even frozen is delicious.
Spinach is great fresh in salads or on sandwiches, sauteed with garlic, or cooked into a quiche or pie with cheese, or baked into bread... and it's hella healthy too!

https://www.livescience.com/51324-sp...nutrition.html

Old 06-23-2023, 02:37 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Almost everything, artichokes, asparagus, cauliflower, cabbage, all kinds of bitter greens, beans, carrots, celery, avocados, spinach, all kinds squash, mushrooms, bell peppers... I like a variety all the time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-24-2023, 08:18 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,611,788 times
Most used --

Fresh -- all year
Green string beans, which I cook several pounds and eat up
Broccoli, including stem, which I eat raw. Florets I freeze and reheat.
Carrots, to be roasted or grated
Yellow onions and Poblano peppers, go into everything

Frozen
Big bags frozen green peas
Bags of frozen brussels sprouts, cheap and I love them

Seasonal
Sweet potatoes after Christmas, 10c a poumd until they get rid of them -- Bought 40 lb once.
Sweet corn cob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink