Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 08:54 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

I can no longer eat American milk chocolate, either. Ack.

In the late Seventies I remember Mom calling me. She was making a recipe from her mother and was wondering what a nickel-sized chocolate bar would be. Something to watch out for in sharing recipes even now,

A poor people's recipe I used to love at home was creamed dried beef on mashed potatoes or toast. That was a comfort dish. I wanted to make it but it was no longer inexpensive nor was the dried beef of the quality we used to get. Instead it appeared to be some mish-mash of ground meat parts pressed together and sliced. The texture and flavor were wrong.

Mom used to buy pork cutlets for little money. They were tender and flavorful little pieces of meat from the temple or cheek of a hog. She'd dredge them in flour, season and fry them in butter and lard. Heavenly, crispy little bites.

When I tried to replicate them at home what was called a pork cutlet was some tough, unidentifiable patty-sized piece of pork which had been run through a tenderizer.

And don't get me started on that old standby, Campbell's soup.

But as someone who grew up with canned vegetables I am eternally grateful to have a choice of fresh vegetables all winter long and more fruits to choose from than a banana, orange or apple. And the varieties! I never knew that different bananas have subtly different flavors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 09:00 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Slim Jims.

If you're recreating recipes from your mothers I hope they're not like mine was. She'd give me, or Mrs. NBP, a recipe but leave an ingredient out so, of course, the food wasn't the same.

I finally caught on when I talked to her younger sister about why things didn't work out and told her some of the recipes. I got the right ones from her.

My mother was a difficult woman to deal with.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:10 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Chef-boyardee beef a roni and ravolli in the can. Campbells soups.....tomato, chicken and stars.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:21 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Sardines just aren't the same, maybe because they're now packed in soy oil, or maybe because dad isn't around sharing them any more.

Cake mixes now have a noticeable chemical taste. Maybe they always did.

Canned biscuits a) no longer pop when you slam them on the edge of the counter, and b) also taste like chemicals.

I still love corn dogs, though I won't eat a hot dog, much less a chili dog.

As a kid, I hated avocados and mushrooms, love them both now.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:31 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Some of it our tastes have changed, but as mentioned, many of the products have as well. A lot more products today contain corn syrup, soy or corn fillers, and other "food-like substances." All of those change the taste. I notice a distinct taste and texture difference in the brands of various foods (esp things like hotdogs, sausage, bacon, etc) in our local store and when you read the labels, there are different ingredients or less of/more of between them.

Meat for example. Dad used to get prime at the local grocery. Now I almost ever see prime in a grocery; it's all choice and below. Some of the stuff I've gotten at Walmart seems even below cutter, deliberately packaged in such a way to hide it.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:33 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Some of it is that our tastes change, but I think a lot of it is that the products have changed.

I miss the fruit that I used to get as a child. The fruit from the market is terrible. I was thinking my taste buds had changed until I got an apricot tree and a peach tree and there it is, the fruit that I enjoyed in my childhood, tasting just the same as I remembered and just as sweet and juicy. My memories of it were not glorified.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:43 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Some of it is that our tastes change, but I think a lot of it is that the products have changed.

I miss the fruit that I used to get as a child. The fruit from the market is terrible. I was thinking my taste buds had changed until I got an apricot tree and a peach tree and there it is, the fruit that I enjoyed in my childhood, tasting just the same as I remembered and just as sweet and juicy. My memories of it were not glorified.
Depending on how old you are many of the fruits and vegetables we take for granted for having all year weren't available in the offseason. With that nearly year round availability came a degradation in flavor so the product could survive the shipping.

There's a reason an orange was considered a prime Christmas gift 100 years ago.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:46 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I still love corn dogs, though I won't eat a hot dog, much less a chili dog.

As a kid, I hated avocados and mushrooms, love them both now.
as well as spicy food. My mother would make two batches of chili - spicy for her and my brother, mild for me and my dad. When I was about 22, a friend introduced me to dumplings with hot chili oil in a Philadelphia's Chinatown. I've loved and cook spicy food ever since. I guess I was culinarily stupid as a kid.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:02 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

A poor people's recipe I used to love at home was creamed dried beef on mashed potatoes or toast. That was a comfort dish. I wanted to make it but it was no longer inexpensive nor was the dried beef of the quality we used to get. Instead it appeared to be some mish-mash of ground meat parts pressed together and sliced. The texture and flavor were wrong.

SOS (Shizit on a Shingle)! I had a hankering for this not too long ago. I made it with Steak Umms that I sliced thinner and mixed with cream of mushroom soup, poured over garlic Texas toast.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:04 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

Canned biscuits no longer pop when you slam them on the edge of the counter

Huh? The Pillsbury grands I use for my dumplings still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink