Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
You know, an old friend told me several years ago that the cheese they use in the white cheese dip was goat cheese. I wonder. Is Asadero a "goat" cheese?

Ah, the plot thickens. You say it's white Cheddar, other folks make the same claim but say American.

Do you think it could a white cheddar that is processed? (is there even such a thing?)
Definition: [ah-sah-DEH-roh] A white cow's-milk cheese of Mexican origin that's available in braids, balls or rounds. Asadero, which means "roaster" or "broiler," has good melting properties and becomes softly stringy when heated--very similar to an unaged monterey jack cheese. Other names for this cheese are Chihuahua and Oaxaca. See also cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 30,232 times
its is not white chedder I am in Indiana and a local mexican place gave me the low down its LandOlLakes extra melt is the name of the cheese you can get the recipe from the landollakes website comes in 5 lb blocks had to get mine from a food service place had to buy 30 lb came out to about 3 bucks a pound so if you split it with some people cost isnt to bad

Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
sorry if it has been mentioned in the thread, but FYI you can buy this at some grocery stores as well. i know Costco sells some that's just as good as the restaurant stuff.

Mike

Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
Why is all the Mexican food here so bland? I'm used to spicier Mexican food from SoCal. Heard that Moe's was pretty good for a chain, and ate there today. Not impressed. Bland. And I ordered soft tortilla for my taco (not crunchy) and they only put it in one tortilla, not two, so of course it fell apart while eating.
might as well get used to it. i have tried a BUNCH of Mexican places around here and have yet to find anything like SoCal Mexican. i've even tried the places people on here claim to be just like SoCal. no dice.

just enjoy the BBQ as a fair trade and call it a day! lol

Mike

Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,434 times
All I know is that white cheese dip is the bomb!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:41 PM

140 posts, read 1,654,213 times
Land O Lakes Extra Melt Process Cheese was mentioned recently. It does come in White as well as Yellow. So I dug up a link to a recipe on their web site just for reference...

Land O Lakes Chile Con Queso Blanco Dip

It has onions, which the usual White Cheese Dip (the focus of this thread) doesn't have. But it does have Sour Cream and Chicken Broth. Others have said that the dip we're looking for is based largely on "American" cheese. Could it be that combining American cheese with these two ingredients would yield the dip recipe just like in the restaurants?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
Okay, so I have to find out how to make that white cheese dip that is so popular in the Mexican restaurants around the area.

I'm not talking about Chili's or On The Border. I'm talking about places like "La Fiesta", "La Hacienda", or "Fiesta Mexicana".

I did some Googling and it was suggested that it was Oaxaca (aka Asadero) cheese that might be mixed with cream. But I don't think this is right. Oaxaca is basically Mozzarella, and doesn't melt into a sauce/dip well. It was good to eat just by itself, like string cheese. And it was good on mexican dishes, but it just wasn't the same.

Can anyone help?
you know that stuff they scrape off your teeth when you go to the dentist...

Old 04-20-2009, 05:28 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,419 times
I think the white cheesy sauce that you're thinking about has to be made with enough liquid of some sort to keep the cheese from clumping. Think of a fondue, or a bechamel with a bunch of cheese added (like when you make homemade macaroni and cheese, but before you add the noodles). It's a good dipping/pouring consistency, but do yourself a favor and make some queso fundido instead:

Bayless's Queso Fundido al Tequila Recipe - Rick Bayless | Food & Wine

Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obird View Post

It is the bomb! And Land O Lakes is very pricey! That's why we make Gordo's. When someone finds out we sell meat and dairy to the mexican restaurants their first response is "Do you know what kind of cheese they use for the white cheese dip?" We decided Gordo's Cheese Dip would be our next project. We sell Gordos Melt to the restaurants, we know the secret recipe, why not? All the cheese dips you find at the grocery stores are not very good. They add their onions, bell peppers, & all kind of things I can't spell or pronounce. And we know the secret... keep it simple. Gordos Melt and milk. The cheese the restaurants use is a white american cheese that is blended to melt easy. The problem is you could not get it in the grocery stores only in the 30 lb cases with 6/5 lb loaves for foodservice. We package our Gordos Melt in 1 lb bars for the culinary experts at home to make their own. And we package Gordo's Cheese Dip in 5 flavors, the original and mild are the flavors directly from the restaurants.
Is that a different Gordo's than what is at Food Lion? Because that stuff is NASTY! Taste nothing like the restaurants.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,359 times
(incredulous) This thread has 10,420 views!?!?! Cheese dip?? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink