Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times

Advertisements

I would probably use a Elk roast in a crock pot...onions, carrots from the garden, celery etc...slow cook and a little green chile pepper.
Dutch oven biscuits...with the gravy..oh yeah.
and a good hmmm Zinfidel or ????

After the first frost of course....

Jesh we are still havin lots of Monsoon's and warm weather.
Not really ready for the short days yet.

Happy trails,
HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Mmmm, I always start thinking about those sorts of suppers around mid-August or so. The weather is still pretty warm most days, but it's getting dark a little earlier each day, and there are nights when I need an extra blanket on my side of the bed.

One of our family's very most favorite cold-weather meals is beef-barley soup, or, as we call the spouse's concoction, beef-barley stewp. He has never yet, in three-plus decades of practice, managed to make a thin soup; they always come out pretty well solid with good stuff, more like a stew than like a soup. Hence, stewp.

We save leftover pot roast and gravy in freezer bags, even if there's only a few ounces of meat left. By the time we get to the first crisp, cool evening of autumn, there'll be enough bags of leftover heavenly-tender, juicy pot roast and gravy to form the basis of an absolutely fabulous stewp.

The spouse starts with the leftovers, adds some beef broth and the barley, and cooks it until the barley is about 2/3 done. At that point, he adds cut-up carrots and cooks a while longer, then when both carrots and barley are close to done, he generally dumps in some frozen peas. Once the peas are hot through, dish it up, cut up some good crusty bread to go with, and let the chilly winds howl all night - you'll be toasty warm and full of stewp!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's got to be beef stew with corn muffins.
Have you been reading my mind??

Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
We save leftover pot roast and gravy in freezer bags, even if there's only a few ounces of meat left. By the time we get to the first crisp, cool evening of autumn, there'll be enough bags of leftover heavenly-tender, juicy pot roast and gravy to form the basis of an absolutely fabulous stewp.

The spouse starts with the leftovers, adds some beef broth and the barley, and cooks it until the barley is about 2/3 done. At that point, he adds cut-up carrots and cooks a while longer, then when both carrots and barley are close to done, he generally dumps in some frozen peas. Once the peas are hot through, dish it up, cut up some good crusty bread to go with, and let the chilly winds howl all night - you'll be toasty warm and full of stewp!
Will you rent your spouse out? I want some stewp.

Pot roast, barley, frozen peas and crusty bread. I will bring a nice wine--what would you prefer?

TAkeAhike

Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Will you rent your spouse out? I want some stewp.

Pot roast, barley, frozen peas and crusty bread. I will bring a nice wine--what would you prefer?

TAkeAhike
Well, I'm pretty tookish when it comes to sharing the spouse, but we both love feeding people, so stop up by Madison some time and join us for supper!

Seriously, he is literally incapable of preparing stewp for fewer than 8 people, and with just the two of us and occasionally the daughter at the table, a single batch generally becomes several days' worth of suppers. It's much more fun to share a big pot-full with a half-dozen or so good friends.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Not sure what all it will include, I do know that it will include roasted squash...one of my favorite dishes ever!

Maybe pork roast with sauerkraut and apples too.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
We are in the middle of monsoon season here so only dreaming of cool weather. I will probably cook some kind of soup just don't know what yet. I know it will be nice for it to be cool enough to use my oven more than I do now. Maybe some homemade pumpkin bread would be good.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Some Onion soup with lots of Emmental and croutons and some Cassoulet, comfort food of the Gods !

Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
When it is cold I like to start my day with eggs (I use egg whites though) and make a scramble with tons of veg that I have on hand...maybe some cheese... W/ HOT SAUCE... and MAYBE a couple of Lite all Natural Sausage Links if I have them on hand... Then for Lunch some type of hot toasted sandwich... I have a much loved sandwich maker that I use often on cold days- melts that cheese so nicely and crisps the bread w/o adding the fat of a frying pan like with a grilled chs sandwich...(I use FF cheese and that can be tough to melt right at times)... And dinner might be a crock pot full of homemade Soup... something steamy hot and full of Veggies... I love my veggies....

Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Well, I'm pretty tookish when it comes to sharing the spouse, but we both love feeding people, so stop up by Madison some time and join us for supper!

Seriously, he is literally incapable of preparing stewp for fewer than 8 people, and with just the two of us and occasionally the daughter at the table, a single batch generally becomes several days' worth of suppers. It's much more fun to share a big pot-full with a half-dozen or so good friends.
Oh, good --is it Madison, WI? I have heard great things about that city.

I will search the Atlanta area again for someone like him. A man that can make good stewp would have an advantage with me. LOL--how does the kitchen look after he is finished? My philosophy--it is good to let the pots/pans, dishes soak for a while. They arent' going anywhere.

Enjoy your feast. A key lime pie would be good for dessert. I can make those.

Good times.

TakeAhike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink