Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

If it's winter and I'm not willing to step outside in the snow to fire up the BBQ, my cast iron frying pan is the ONLY way I'll do steaks. I heat my pan on the stove first, then add butter and sizzle those babies until they're dark pink inside. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:54 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
We have a great collection of CI cookware.

A few years ago I bought a new CI pan. I found the casting to be very rough (pebbly). I never used it.

I do not use soap, only hot water and a brush. After brushing the inside, I like to brush the bottom. This spreads some oil from the inside onto the bottom and prevents rust.

When I periodically re-season, I do the inside and outside. I use shortening.. I fill the oven with my CI cookware.

You know when scrambled eggs don't stick, you have properly seasoned the cookware.

Anyone use the La Crusett coated CI cookware?

Mike

Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
I grew up using cast iron that was decades old, so I was all twitterpated when I found some at a yard sale a while back to add to my collection. I've got a skillet, a griddle, a dutch oven, and a loaf pan. They are my favorite for cooking, although I do have a teflon pan than I use, too.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I start warming my griddle with the flame set to low about 20-30 minutes before I'm ready to cook, by then, it's perfect.
I'll have to try this.

My family and I moved about 18 months ago and our cast iron griddle was MIA upon arrival. We just found it (packed in with some framed pictures) a month or two ago and that was a joyous day. Even better, I found a local store that sells cast iron griddles for under $20, so I picked up a second one. I'm a pancake-making machine on weekends now.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
The no-soap thing is actually a myth. When properly seasoned, the oil has polymerized and it won't be washed off with soap. So wash away! Just don't soak it in water, and do not let it sit to dry. You must dry it immediately after washing or rinsing to minimize any chance for rust to accumulate.
Exactly. I always use a bit of dishwashing soap in mine. I scrape off whatever bits there are (with plastic, not metal), wash it, dry it thoroughly, and then coat with a tiny bit of oil, and store. Keeps them in perfect condition.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:09 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
We have a great collection of CI cookware.

A few years ago I bought a new CI pan. I found the casting to be very rough (pebbly). I never used it.

I do not use soap, only hot water and a brush. After brushing the inside, I like to brush the bottom. This spreads some oil from the inside onto the bottom and prevents rust.

When I periodically re-season, I do the inside and outside. I use shortening.. I fill the oven with my CI cookware.

You know when scrambled eggs don't stick, you have properly seasoned the cookware.

Anyone use the La Crusett coated CI cookware?

Mike
I also recently bought a Lodge skillet and the bottom is very rough. Despite seasoning, and regular use, I can't imagine it will ever obtain non-stick properties with its current rough texture.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I'll have to try this.

My family and I moved about 18 months ago and our cast iron griddle was MIA upon arrival. We just found it (packed in with some framed pictures) a month or two ago and that was a joyous day. Even better, I found a local store that sells cast iron griddles for under $20, so I picked up a second one. I'm a pancake-making machine on weekends now.

usually, when the handle is hot, the pan is ready..

Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
If I could lift them, I'd buy them. But, oh my god, I just can't. #98poundweakling

Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Darn it they are so controversial!!
I used to! Bec iron was supposed to be so good for us.
Now the doc on PBS says the iron does in us what it does
anywhere...decays and rusts!
So not anymore.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:01 PM

240 posts, read 252,453 times
I cook everything in cast iron skillets. They heat evenly. They cook everything evenly. As long as they are properly seasoned nothing sticks.

I never worry about ingesting bits of Teflon either.

Also, I wash mine in soapy water. I can't stand the thought of merely wiping them clean with a paper towel. Yuck! I don't have to scrub hard to clean them in the soapy water, and my food has never tasted soapy. I season my skillets whenever the need arises. It's no big deal to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink