Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Why are all shampoo bottles labeled shampoo/shampooing?
"Shampooing" is French. A lot of shampoos come with both English and French descriptions/instructions because they are sold in several countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 01:09 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My Jewel has a very nice clearance section, and I often find things at half price or below. We went camping a couple weeks ago, I had my eyes open for snacks and things I could bring along. I had been eyeing some salmon jerky in another store, but it was too expensive for what would just be a hiking snack, and we don't eat beef. So when I was at Jewel and saw the pile of sweet potato jerky on the clearance rack, I went right over to check it out. The Earth Mother look of the package seemed a little pretentious, but there weren't a lot of ingredients and I was curious. It took me a minute before I saw "Dog Treats" in small letters on the back. Oopsies.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Yes, we do

Unfortunately they add addictive chemical ingredients and HFCS to almost everything in America. The food industry's goal is to turn food into an addictive drug. There is a science behind it and people paid to make foods more addictive.

That's why I like shopping at Costco. A lot of their products have been pre-screened by their corporate buyers. A lot less label reading is required there because they know what their customer base wants, and cater to it. Same for places like Trader Joes.
For some reason, I've always thought the opposite of Costco. I assumed the food there would be subpar. But lots of people have good things to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The world is full of people who think that it has to have the word 'nut' in the name (walnut, peanut, Brazil nut) to be an actual nut. All it takes is one dopey relative to kill a kid with a pecan NOT marked "contains nuts" to cost millions of dollars in judgements and lawyers bills to the manufacturer.

True story:

Our local Chinese restaurant has a dish on the menu called 'Vegetarian Delight'. It comes with a pork egg roll.
lol! smh

Old 08-10-2015, 01:20 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
We had a rude awakening with our heavy cream a little while back. The cream in the carton turned into a gelatinous mass of white goo. It wasn't spoiled though! We read the label and find it has carrageenan in it. Who the heck would think that a carton labelled "Heavy Cream" and nothing else would have extra stuff. Ugh.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
It's not just food. I bought a tablet at BestBuy to take overseas, so I also asked for a 240 charger converter. I was sold a converter bar that says in the directions "not to be used for more than ten minutes", and printed right on the bar are the words "for hair dryers and similar products only, not for use on electronically controlled devices". BestBuy doesn't sell hair dryers, but they sell computer-buyers accessories meant for hair dryers..

Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
By the way, my all-time favorite whimsical ingredient was on a tetra-box of Hi-C,, which is consumed unseen by poking a straw through a hole in the top of the opaque container. It contained three different food colorings -- in a product whose color is never seen by the consumer.
And the food colouring in children's painkillers. You give it to them in a syringe down the back of the throat FFS!

I was once told by an American in all seriousness that it was impossible to make bread wihout added sugar.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:41 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The worst stuff is what doesn't show up, at least in the US: GMO
Not at all. There are far more toxicity problems out there than food items having simple changes in DNA sequences. Don't worry about that. You don't turn green and leafy after eating a lettuce leaf full of billions of genes encoding chlorophyll and leaf shapes do you?

And no rice, bananas, potatoes or many other modern versions of vegetables and fruits eaten today were genetically identical to the ones around 100,000 years ago. All have been genetically modified (the old less efficient way - by selective breeding by hand, crossing big fruit banana A with sweet small banana B etc, or taking and cultivating the mango that had a spontaneous DNA mutation causing it to be extra tasty).

to OP: Worry about real problem chemicals that don't have any correlate chemicals whatsoever in nature. Be leery of those unless proven safe. And basically if you buy pre-made foods, rather than the raw ingredients, you are going to hit a plethora of additives you might fund unsavory (so to speak)

GMO and vaccine hysteria is the democrat's version of Republican's with their evolution denial and pollution-effects denial.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Processed food is...processed. If you want real food, buy the ingredients and make it yourself.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:14 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
And just last year someone actually did lab analysis on many brands of US beer and found HFCS is being added to a lot of it. So US beer drinkers are unknowingly drinking gallons of HFCS a year because makers are hiding behind the no-labeling law in the US.

The hard truth about labeling laws is that many IMPORTANT ingredients do not have to be disclosed.
While more and more consumers started to read food labels, many don't recognize/understand half of the ingredients listed. This is because packaged food is loaded with additives, many of which have chemical or scientific names. (there are more than 6,000 food additives approved for use in the food industry)!!
The long list of "additives" means nothing to consumers, because many don't know about the potential harm to their health:

Spoiler

Reading labels reveal only part of the stuff is inside. The labels are misleading, inaccurate, some important ingredients (like sugar, or salt) are split and renamed, some listed might be present in a trace amount, they have unsubstantiated health claims, "natural" isn't natural, and "whole" isn't whole, GMO's are not listed, Made in ... is a joke, etc... etc...
(In addition, the FDA does not consistently enforce all violations of its own regulations.)
However, price, taste and brand often overrule ingredient/nutrition labeling when it comes to what makes consumers buy one food or drink product over another. Many are influenced by advertising.

Food companies are concerned with taste and shelf life than with our overall health.
Thousands of chemicals are used to make our food taste better, look better, and last longer, but most of these food additives, preservatives, and colorings are synthetic.

Some experts say you should choose foods with five or fewer ingredients, and I try go by this rule. When a product I want to buy has a long list of ingredients, that's a "red flag", and I am not buying it.

The portions/servings are unrealistic small (who eats a half cup of soup, 1/3 of can of something, or drink 6 oz of fluid????)

When you look at the FDA guideline posted here:
Nutritional Labeling and Education Act (NLEA) Requirements (8/94 - 2/95) Statement
you will notice that the guide is 20+ years old. There are many new (chemical) ingredients added to our food in the last 20 years. Or new ways how the food is processed.

If you want to know what's going on with food labeling, read this:
https://cspinet.org/new/pdf/food_lab...aos_report.pdf

Old 08-10-2015, 04:37 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
I swear these companies would roll a ball of dirt in some sugar and fat, color it, inject it with artificial flavor, and call it everything from chocolate to cheese if they could get away with it. OP they added color most likely because the original color of this mixture is off-putting and does not resemble real tea.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I do read the labels - if the ingredients include high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated fat, it's probably going back on the shelf.
same here. I do try and get items lower in sodium too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink