Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,874 times

Advertisements

I've dreamed of getting a stand up mixer for a long time. I was just now reading a thread where someone else was wishing they had one too. So, who here has one and what brand? Does it work well and do everything you want it to? Do you use attachment with it?
I had always wanted a KitchenAid Professional series, the 575 watt model. Then I learned about the Viking brand stand mixer that has 1000 watts. Since I like to make stuff that would need a lot of power, this has piqued my interest.
Can a KitchenAid stand up to heavy doughs and thick cookie batters? I would hate to get one and burn out the motor. They cost a lot less than the Viking, but I really would want one that is going to be capable of doing anything I want it to.
Either way, I can't go out and buy it tomorrow, but I can save and dream....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
I have the regular kitchenaid mixer not the professional one. Love it though. I don't make a lot of bread doughs in it but it does hold up well with heavy cookie batters. When this one gives up the ghost I will definitely invest in one of their professional models. I want the bigger bowl that comes with it.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,087 times
I've thought about it a lot, and really the ONLY thing I would use a stand mixer for is breads.

So, in that light, the Electrolux DLX models appeal to me with their roller/scraper action as opposed to a bread hook. Sure it'd be nice to grind meats and whatever fun things you can do with the KitchenAid, but the reality is that the only time I seem to wish I had a mixer is when I'm kneading dough.

It's not in the cards this year, but that's the direction I'm looking.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:00 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I have a KitchenAid pro. It takes up to 14 cups of white flour or 12 whole wheat. It's doing well for me.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,224 times
I have a KA Pro 600. I love it. It is a pretty metallic minty green. I beat it up good making large batches of bread and cookie dough. I do on occasion overheat it, and it shuts itself off. It takes awhile to cool down. If I think of it, I put a blue ice pack on it to keep it cool. I also have an old Hobart KA mixer that I got for my 17th birthday way back in 1977. I use it more than the big guy, because it really is a better machine, and the bowl is only 4.5 quarts. That is the perfect size for normal size batches. I think you would be very happy with the KA Pro. I have most of the attachments and I use them often. I got the pasta roller attachment as freebie when I bought the Pro, and I use it a lot. It is so much easier to use than my old hand cranked Atlas roller. I use the grinder and the sausage stuffer often enough to be glad I have them. Geekduo, shop around and you will find a good price. I got mine online at Ace hardware outlet back east for way cheaper than everyone else and the shipping was free. So many pretty colors to choose from
You could also check out the refurbished mixers. They are as good as new for less money.

Last edited by Sizzly Friddle; 10-07-2008 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff

Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
The spouse's mixer is a Kitchen Aid Professional, and we swear by it. He makes bread with it, we mix up huge batches of stiff cookie dough, we grind with it, and it just keeps on chugging away. It's a keeper.

If we ever had the perfect house, our dream house, when some rich uncle neither of us has ever heard of leaves us multiple millions of dollars and we can get whatever house we want, we'd have a full-size Hobart, complete with a garage-style cabinet to roll it into when it's not needed. Of course, it should go without saying that when that happens, we'll also invite all of our CD foodie friends over for a massive dinner party to celebrate!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:19 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
If we ever had the perfect house, our dream house, when some rich uncle neither of us has ever heard of leaves us multiple millions of dollars and we can get whatever house we want, we'd have a full-size Hobart, complete with a garage-style cabinet to roll it into when it's not needed. Of course, it should go without saying that when that happens, we'll also invite all of our CD foodie friends over for a massive dinner party to celebrate!
If you get an eight burner propane stove and a water faucet over it, I'll be bringing my adoption papers for you to sign. I don't care if I have to be the mother, daughter, niece, sister or cousin, just please adopt me.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:58 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If you get an eight burner propane stove and a water faucet over it, I'll be bringing my adoption papers for you to sign. I don't care if I have to be the mother, daughter, niece, sister or cousin, just please adopt me.
No problem - the more, the merrier! I figure that dream house will have at least 8 bedrooms with bathrooms to match, so there'll be plenty of room. 'Course, we still have to find that rich uncle neither of us ever heard of and wait for the old coot to kick the bucket first, but hey, those are just details, right? Gotta plan the important stuff!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
No problem - the more, the merrier! I figure that dream house will have at least 8 bedrooms with bathrooms to match, so there'll be plenty of room. 'Course, we still have to find that rich uncle neither of us ever heard of and wait for the old coot to kick the bucket first, but hey, those are just details, right? Gotta plan the important stuff!
Add in two ovens with at least one being convection and I'm definitely right there with you!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
I have a KA but I have to admit that I don't use it as I should because my kitchen is small and that thing is heavy to be pulling out and putting back everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink